Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Coronavirus Facts

By Dana Smith

1. People are contagious very early on in the infection, potentially even before they’re symptomatic. A study conducted by researchers in Germany found that nine people infected with the novel coronavirus were shedding huge amounts of the virus — thousands to millions of copies — as early as Day One of their infection, when they had only mild, cold-like symptoms. In fact, virus levels in the nose and throat were highest on that first day and declined in the days after. This suggests that infected people are shedding the virus even before they are symptomatic.

2. It can take up to 11 days for symptoms to appear after infection. Research has shown that the median incubation period is five days. That means some people will develop symptoms sooner and some will develop them later. The study also reported that only 2.5% of people showed symptoms two days after exposure, and 97.5% of people were symptomatic after 11 days. This means that if you’ve come into contact with someone who has the virus, you need to quarantine for the full 14 days to be safe. This timeframe is especially important because you can be highly contagious during this time and not even know it (see point above).

3. The virus lives on surfaces for up to three days.

4. The rate of the infection is growing exponentially.

5. It’s not just old people who are getting seriously sick.

https://elemental.medium.com/5-coron...g-ee786374bf65

For me, social distancing is critically important. For me, this article strongly reinforces that importance.

This author, Ed Yong, is not omniscient, but does have some expertise shaping his view of...

"How the Pandemic Will End"

"The U.S. may end up with the worst Covid-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out."

Ed Yong is Science writer at The Atlantic. Author of I CONTAIN MULTITUDES, a New York Times bestseller on animal-microbe partnerships.

***Moderator's Note: URL removed as the link can only be viewed via one's Faceboopk or email account***

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
      For me, social distancing is critically important. For me, this article strongly reinforces that importance.

This author, Ed Yong, is not omniscient, but does have some expertise shaping his view of...

"How the Pandemic Will End"

"The U.S. may end up with the worst Covid-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out."

Ed Yong is Science writer at The Atlantic. Author of I CONTAIN MULTITUDES, a New York Times bestseller on animal-microbe partnerships.

***Moderator's Note: URL removed as the link can only be viewed via one's Faceboopk or email account***
      Oops, my bad. The article title can be googled and found if this link does not work...

Comment

Between 1.5 million and 2.2 million American lives can be saved by paying attention to data and responding appropriately according to the graphs presented by Dr. Deborah Birx at the daily briefing...

***Moderator's Note: URL removed as one needs a membership to logon to site***
        Last edited by Seasha; 04-02-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
          Between 1.5 million and 2.2 million American lives can be saved by paying attention to data and responding appropriately according to the graphs presented by Dr. Deborah Birx at the daily briefing...

***Moderator's Note: URL removed as one needs a membership to logon to site***

I believe anyone can google the title "Decoding the graphs that may have saved millions of American lives" and read the for free with no membership, at least I have 3 times and I needed no membership nor subscription; I have neither.

I simply do not understand why the article pops up and I read it w/o any problem. I do not log onto the site. I google the title, click, and read. I guess there is no point in posting the link again. Oh well.

Comment

Perhaps you subscribe to the Washington Post? Many of us haven't. Tried it again by googling the title and I get the same pop up wanting me to subscribe for $29 a year.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              Perhaps you subscribe to the Washington Post? Many of us haven't. Tried it again by googling the title and I get the same pop up wanting me to subscribe for $29 a year.
              No, I don't subscribe to the Washington Post and never have. I just now googled the title "Decoding the graphs that may have saved millions of American lives" and it popped up free on the Washington Post link, same as every time before.

I wonder if you close the pop up or scroll down the article is there to be read? Heck, I don't know! Maybe its my clean living, Seasha, that's why its free for me? ha! You know I'm kidding, but I actually don't get the subscription pop-up that seems to block you... sweet for me, I suppose.

In any case, I also find excellently written and researched coronavirus articles at medium dot com. I do subscribe there for $5 a month for tons of current articles on every topic under the sun, HOWEVER, all coronavirus articles are free to everyone. Tomas Pueyo has authored several comprehensive, superb free articles. His latest, "CORONAVIRUS: OUT OF MANY ONE" can be googled and read by anyone who wishes, just as MS World can be.

The reason good information and analysis such as that provided by Tomas Pueyo is critically important is because our knowledge-based activities can actually help alleviate this crisis. And, if we ignore facts and data, we suffer, individually and as a society.

Comment

Working...
              X