Baclofen Pump Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Pump Removed

On the 5th of March my daughter noticed my pump sticking out. I had formed a scab where one of the ports are, so I didn't noticed the metal that was sticking out. I had to wait for my INR to be low enough to remove the pump. On Saturday the 7th the INR was low enough where they could remove the pump.

I spent the next two weeks in the hospital. 5 days in the hospital and 7 days in rehab, same hospital 5 floors up. I had a little withdrawal symptoms. They had cut my dose on the pump in half on Friday the 6th and put me on a high dose of oral at the same time. They have cut it to 30mg three times a day. My legs are really spastic in the morning. They get a little better after stretching in the morning. My Drs. and my main goal was to get me well enough to get me out of Dodge. It was really getting scary. Cutting visits from no limit per day, cut to 2 a day on Sat. the 14th, to 1 on Mon. and than no one on Tuesday.

Gary

Dear Gary,

I'm so sorry that you had to have your pump removed and you've spent weeks in a hospital setting.

Times are hard now without visitors in the hospitals, but you have us to cheer you on.

Wishing you a much needed recovery and hope you can make it out of "Dodge" before long.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sorry I didn't mentioned I was released on Thursday the 26th. It's all home health care for now. I have a wound vac that has to be changed every other day. PT and OT both did a home eval and said they were comfortable having me sign off. the fewer people in your house the better. If I still felt I might need some PT or OT I could always go to clinic after all this craziness is all over. Sounded good to me.

Comment

So glad you are out of Dodge! Definitely agree the fewer outsiders coming into your home is better right now. Are you able to do some of the exercises and stretching on your own? Resistance bands can help with stretches when you don't have anyone else around to help with them.

Lots of luck to you.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

[

I can do about 75% on my own or help with the resistance band. I have my 12 year old grand daughter during the week and am tempting to have her help me do some of my stretching.

Comment

Hello Gary

search YouTube for some solo stretch options or chair/floor yoga. There are tons of great instructional out there.

Keep it going.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              Hello Gary

search YouTube for some solo stretch options or chair/floor yoga. There are tons of great instructional out there.

Keep it going.
              Thanks I'll have to take a look.

Dealing with this online schooling for the grand daughter. Finally got it to work yesterday, she would do the work and could not send it in.

Comment

I'm so sorry about you going through that. If u don't mind me asking how long did you have your pump in? Was it working good for u other than that? Have they told you if they will be replacing it with a newer one?
                Maybe after this corona virus is over they will be able to replace it again. If that's an option for yourself.
                By for now Bobby.

Comment

how long did you have your pump in?

Hi Bobby, I have had a pump for 6 years. After 5 years they replaced it because of battery life. So this pump was put in last June. I had the larger pump the first time and the surgeon didn't like how it was pressing against the skin. It stuck out and looked like I had a hockey puck in my stomach. I used to tell people I had the Minn. Wild sign a puck and had it implanted. (I have a small build) so they went with the smaller one this time.

Was it working good for u other than that?

It was working great. I can sure feel the difference. I'm taking the max of the oral Baclofen but my legs are still pretty stiff. I can be laying on my back with my left leg raised and bent and it just stays like that it can be a struggle to bring it down...

Have they told you if they will be replacing it with a newer one?

They have told me after I heal up 3 to 4 months they would like to put another one in. My wound vac nurse has said she sees the wound not needing the vac system more than 3 more weeks. I can hardly wait. Hopefully everything has settle down and I,ll be able to get another one soon.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X