• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 03-26-2020

5 checked in this last week.

1 didn't make goals.
    2 met goals
    2 met partial goals.

We are all having to re-adjust. Most of you are managing. Congratulations!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Didn't even really track.

I wouldn't have made goals, at all, if I had. My steps were minimal. I did some PT stuff at home, a little bit, but I didn't even do well with that. I haven't found a way to motivate myself to substitute at home exercise for my group exercise time.

It's pretty recently that I re-set my goals, but I guess that I need to do that again, as our lives have also been re-set.

New goals:
    PT 2 or 3 times a week at home
    Other exercise (Chair yoga with YouTube, two-minute walks, or something else). 2 or 3 times a week.
    I'm not going to set any steps goals this week because I don't expect to do well, and, for now, I need to experience success at meeting a simpler goal.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I haven't found a way to motivate myself to substitute at home exercise for my group exercise time.

Similar for me also Mamabug, self motivation IS hard....

5 days of 20 minutes stretching with bands, wrist weights & pole. Happy with the ability to maintain this standard.

4 days of 20+ minutes doing mixed upper / lower / core work with elastic, dumbbells etc. Still a work in progress, not a substitute for the gym / trainer but movement & discipline, eh? May try to add an additional 20 minutes at some other time during day.

I discovered the only way to make up for the mixed cardio that elliptical, stepper & treadmill give me is squats!

I cannot get too deep but am improving, going nonstop for 7 minutes (3 days so far). I feel the burn (similar to HIIT) in both thighs, the muscle usage in both glutes AND lagniappe! I'm doing the squats with a 6" ball / spacer between knees and barefoot (no orthotic lift) equals a good stretch for the Achilles! Better walking?

Also broke out the trekking poles twice this week. It is coming along.

And least I forget... yesterday I saw a human, at a distance though. A girl I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        And least I forget... yesterday I saw a human, at a distance though. A girl I think.
        I know, right?! Small things seem monumental. I talked to my neighbor, from s distance, over the fence today.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi everyone
          Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

5 days of 20 minutes stretching with bands, wrist weights & pole. Happy with the ability to maintain this standard.

4 days of 20+ minutes doing mixed upper / lower / core work with elastic, dumbbells etc. Still a work in progress, not a substitute for the gym / trainer but movement & discipline, eh? May try to add an additional 20 minutes at some other time during day.

I discovered the only way to make up for the mixed cardio that elliptical, stepper & treadmill give me is squats!

I cannot get too deep but am improving, going nonstop for 7 minutes (3 days so far). I feel the burn (similar to HIIT) in both thighs, the muscle usage in both glutes AND lagniappe! I'm doing the squats with a 6" ball / spacer between knees and barefoot (no orthotic lift) equals a good stretch for the Achilles! Better walking?

Also broke out the trekking poles twice this week. It is coming along.
          Hi Jer!

You certainly did a darn good job with your workout, in spite of your self-motivation being hard! Wow - multi-benefit squats - I'm impressed with that!

Better walking? Yes, I would guess so, as long as you don't overuse the muscles, and you take time for recovery. I've experienced worse walking from muscle overuse combined with insufficient recovery time.

So far, I am good with my exercise routine. It's become a habit, like combing my hair or brushing my teeth.

I'm grateful that I accomplished my goals. I was able to perform my daily chores and exercises, and also to enjoy my other pursuits. I feel very fortunate, at this time.

Sticking with the same goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good Health, Good Energy, and Inner Peace to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Proud of you both, KoKo and Jer!
            And glad you reset your goals, Mamabug. This is all a time for readjustments in many levels.

I don;t even remember what I set for my goal this week, but I started out the week well.
            Sunny weather and out in the yard and gardens working away 4 days in a row. 1 - 1 1/2 hours each.

Rains came and did light household chores, then nada.

Peaceful days and ways for all!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              I don;t even remember what I set for my goal this week, but I started out the week well.
              Sunny weather and out in the yard and gardens working away 4 days in a row. 1 - 1 1/2 hours each.
              Looks like you had some enjoyable exercise, Seasha!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                New goals:
                PT 2 or 3 times a week at home
                Other exercise (Chair yoga with YouTube, two-minute walks, or something else). 2 or 3 times a week.
                I'm not going to set any steps goals this week because I don't expect to do well, and, for now, I need to experience success at meeting a simpler goal.
                Good luck Mamabug - you can do it!

Comment

Hard to get things accomplished with this madness going on. Not sure if I even set goals last week.

Just keep moving Mamabug, it'll level out soon.

The sun has been out here to Seasha. I've been catching a short early morning sunrise walk with a lot of stretching along the way. Lunges, monkey flies, stop a few times for pushups.... good stuff.

Congrats on making those goals Koko.

Seems like a productive week Jerry, nice work.

I've been working a little more since gyms are closed. I'm working through my normal lunch time as well so no lunch time runs. I am walking laps around the block a few times a day with various stretches and calisthenics mixed in throughout. According to Garmin, I'm averaging 14,970 steps a day. I plan on staying home for the most part the next two weeks so I'll draft an exercise plan Sunday. Keep it going.

ps: I really miss Jiu Jitsu. I sometimes wonder if Jiu Jitsu is thinking about me too.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    I've been catching a short early morning sunrise walk with a lot of stretching along the way. Lunges, monkey flies, stop a few times for pushups.... good stuff.
                    Good stuff indeed, Boudreaux!

I am walking laps around the block a few times a day with various stretches and calisthenics mixed in throughout. According to Garmin, I'm averaging 14,970 steps a day.
                    Fantastic!

ps: I really miss Jiu Jitsu. I sometimes wonder if Jiu Jitsu is thinking about me too.
                    I'm sure that Jiu Jitsu is heartbroken.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      I'm sure that Jiu Jitsu is heartbroken.
                      Hahaha, thanks for that.

Comment

Wanted to give a thumbs up!

To Seasha for the 4 day-in-a-row gardening effort (@ 60 minutes plus each!)...

And Boudreaux for "mobil" calisthenics....

Let's keep at it.

Comment

So nice that the sun is shining for you and you're taking advantage by walking lots and getting some fresh air, Boudreaux. Way to go!

I can just visualize you out there doing squats and lunges with your walks, but what are monkey flies?
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Stick your arms straight out to the side. Fists clinched, thumbs out and up. Keeping the entire arm straight, make fast tight forward circles with your fists. Start with 10. Now do 10 backwards. Now point your thumbs forward, 10 circles forward and 10 backward. Now point thumbs down, 10 forward and 10 backward. It's a great shoulder workout.

Go for 20 next week.

Comment

Working...
                            X