Keeping Optimistic and Upbeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Optimistic and Upbeat?

Hi all. With covid-19 and associated impact dominating the news, internet, conversations, and social media, I was wondering what everyone does to keep their spirits up?

I personally am tired of the doom and gloom. I get how serious it is and the propensity it has to exponentially grow and overwhelm healthcare systems. I also know people who struggle with depression and anxiety and are having a really hard time right now. And we all know the impact stress may have on MS and even general health.

What do you do to manage your stress and keep your spirits up in these trying times?
    Last edited by pennstater; 03-25-2020, 06:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    Hi all. With covid-19 and associated impact dominating the news, internet, conversations, and social media, I was wondering what everyone does to keep their spirits up?

I personally am tired of the doom and gloom. I get how serious it is and the propensity it has to exponentially grow and overwhelm healthcare systems. I also know people who struggle with depression and anxiety and are having a really hard time right now. And we all know the impact stress may have on MS and even general health.

What do you do to manage your stress and keep your spirits up in these trying times?
    Hi Kathy

Good topic!

Most important, I try not to struggle with the things that I have no control over, and do control the things that I can. Accept the things that I can't change, and change the things I can.

I stay informed, but I don't fixate on the issues. I try to be a calm presence for family and friends, not a fearmonger.

We are mortal beings, and there always has been, and always will be, illness, disease, accidents, death. We don't need to constantly dwell on it, though, especially with the coulda, shoulda, woulda's.

I focus on the good in other people, and am seeing so much of it in this time of crisis, which is truly heartwarming.

These are some of the activities that I do to maintain my mental and emotional well being:

I listen to beautiful music, pray/meditate, exercise, learn a foreign language (I'm learning French), watch old classic movies, keep in touch with family/friends, and avoid the negative 'voices' as much as possible.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good Morning KoKo,

Thanks so much for the reminder on control and acceptance. U think this is going up in the way for the foreseeable future! I seemed to have strayed from this practice

We share a lot of activities:
      Listening to music, prayer, classic movies, exercise, connecting with family and friends. Inspirational books, articles, and quotes are always a go to for me.

I have always been a water person. Nothing relaxes me more than watching and listening to water, whether ocean, bay, lake, river, or creek. On my daily walks, I always head to see a large creek and take some time to enjoy. It is the halfway mark of my walk, so perfect break opportunity.

In nice weather, have been enjoying sitting outside, listening to the birds.
      Kathy

Comment

I have always been a water person. Nothing relaxes me more than watching and listening to water, whether ocean, bay, lake, river, or creek. On my daily walks, I always head to see a large creek and take some time to enjoy. It is the halfway mark of my walk, so perfect break opportunity.
        I love being near water also. The town that I reside in is on the banks of the river.

I played at the park next to the river as a kid, and also went fishing and some boat riding over the years. Lake Erie isn't far, and have spent lots of time there also. Beautiful place to watch the sunrise and sunset, and just being near it is wonderful.

If I didn't need help to get near there, I would be down by the river or lake often.

So, I totally get what you're saying about your water enjoyment, Kathy!
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

We share a lot of activities:
          Listening to music, prayer, classic movies, exercise, connecting with family and friends. Inspirational books, articles, and quotes are always a go to for me.
          yup; me too.

Church and small group virtually. Music, prayer, reading. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon.

Connecting with friends and family is more challenging these days. But I do that virtually too. More video chats, more time on Facebook, etc.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I love the water too. Every week before the lock down my son and I would go to a lake and feed the swans. I look at the photos of that happy time, talk to my son on the phone, email with my friends and relatives in the US, meditate and watch movies. My husband and I are staying upbeat despite the sadness around us. I was able to shop for a neighbor in my building and that made me feel really good. And my husband has been checking in on his older friends and acquaintances in the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              We are mortal beings, and there always has been, and always will be, illness, disease, accidents, death. We don't need to constantly dwell on it, though, especially with the coulda, shoulda, woulda's

Thanks KoKo!

I'm going with my heart and not my mouth these days. A private win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                I'm going with my heart and not my mouth these days. A private win-win.
                Great strategy Jer!

Comment

I focus on the good in other people, and am seeing so much of it in this time of crisis, which is truly heartwarming.
                  How true. Our church has a charity that accepts clothes, toys, household goods, and food for those in need.

The leadership decided that safest to close off all but the food pantry, since the virus can live longer on some surfaces. Plus, they made the food pantry curbside pick up. The clients are no longer allowed in. They check off what is needed and quantity and do the best to fill it.

So the only volunteer is to pack up the orders and to sort thru donations. They even changed this so only one person at a time in to pack up food.

As the need has increased, so have the donations. It is heartwarming to see. Not as much as usual, but still getting some TP, towels, and wipes.
                  Kathy

Comment

KoKo - was wondering how the French classes are going. Do you enjoy it?

If you don't mind me asking, are you taking from an online site that is a learn at your own pace? I have been contemplating, but was looking for first hand recommendations.

My neuro had been suggesting this for a few years as a great way to keep the brain young.

Thanks
                    Kathy

Comment

KoKo - was wondering how the French classes are going. Do you enjoy it?

If you don't mind me asking, are you taking from an online site that is a learn at your own pace? I have been contemplating, but was looking for first hand recommendations.

My neuro had been suggesting this for a few years as a great way to keep the brain young.

Thanks
                      The lessons are going well, and for me are fun!

Yes - to learning at my own pace (thank goodness!).

After a session, you have a quiz. Then you are shown how many answers you had right/wrong. You can choose to do the wrong answers over again.

After that, you can choose to do the entire lesson over again, or move on to the next lesson.

I do each lesson about 3 times. A lesson isn't very long, for an average person it takes about 15 min. A group of lessons then makes a course. For example, I just finished a 9 lesson course, and am now working on a 14 lesson course.

There are also periodic reviews of what has been learned.

You can pretty much do anything over again, as many times as you want to.

Without advertising, the lessons I take are from a service that rhymes with dabble (but begins with a B).

Thanks for asking, Kathy.

Comment

Thanks KoKo. Really glad you are enjoying them. I will have to check it out. I need to exercise the brain a little more!
                        Kathy

Comment

I need to exercise the brain a little more!
                          Another good (and fun) brain stretcher is the writing of the short poems called Haiku.

They have 3 lines and 17 syllables total - line one has 5 syllables, line two has 7 syllables, line three has 5 syllables.

I just now made this one:

I enjoy Haiku
                          It may help keep my brain sharp
                          Well I sure hope so!

Comment

Another good (and fun) brain stretcher is the writing of the short poems called Haiku.

They have 3 lines and 17 syllables total - line one has 5 syllables, line two has 7 syllables, line three has 5 syllables.

I just now made this one:

I enjoy Haiku
                            It may help keep my brain sharp
                            Well I sure hope so!
                            Very creative. I have a magazine of all types of logic problems that I try to use. So that helps with the analytical part of brain. My last neuro was always pushing me to also exercise the creative part of my brain to balance my love of anything analytical, and also push with continual learning and exercise. And he used to follow up and asked what I did in each of those categories! Miss him.
                            Kathy

Comment

my child

My 13 year old son is on the spectrum and he is the funniest kid I've ever met. The things he says every day make me laugh. Here's an example:

He's obsessed with vacuum cleaners. He even got one for his birthday a few years ago. He vacuums every other day. Yesterday, he came downstairs to show me the new vacuum he wants for Easter (not exactly a traditional Easter gift). I told him we didn't need a new vacuum because the one he has works fine. He left the room for a few seconds, came back, and said, "Mom. Did I tell you I'm a vacuum collector"?

My best friend, his Godmother, asks me to send her his funny stories because they make her happy. Same with his grandmother. He puts a smile on my face and spreads happiness everywhere he goes.

Peace and good health to you all.

Kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X