Social connections vs isolation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social connections vs isolation

How did you connect socially, while taking common-sense precautions and remaining physically distant today?

I'm careful about "social distancing", as defined by our collective current situation. But I've become less and less comfortable with that terminology.

Instead, I've heatd some sources use "physical distancing" instead. I'm staying home; I'm avoiding group interactions. I'm remaining physically distant from others, usually physically absent from others.

But I'm working to combat the isolation I'm feeling. Thus, this thread about social connections.

How did you make a social connection today?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My Sunday school class "met" via Zoom. There were about 20 of us "together".

I also watched two worship services on YouTube - my local church, and my home church where I grew up. Not exactly a connection with others, but, sort of. Because I knew others were doing the same thing.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My husband Paul and I watched our service on You Tube. We sang, off key at that, and participated as if we were physically there. As you said, while not social per se, it was a connection that brings comfort and peace.

I called a friend that I haven't talked to in a while. I went for a chilly walk at our local farm Park. Everyone I came across was so friendly while keeping at least 6 feet away. It also allowed me to connect with nature.

And of course, checked here and on social media.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I Skype my mum and kids every day, which helps ward off loneliness and boredom. None of us have cameras, so it's just chatting. I did have a real visit from my son today, bringing me a few much-needed supplies.

I "hugged" him long distance when he arrived, but he washed up thoroughly before leaving and asked for a real hug, so I gave him one. He's a loner by nature, and aside from me, he's being good about distancing himself from other people. His friends cancelled their weekly get-togethers because one has asthma and several others are in the medical field, so he's feeling a little lost right now.

Comment

Talked to my mom and younger brother on the phone on the phone for a couple of hours.

Caught up with what's been going on with both of them this past week. We are all staying at home. My brother is also now working from home, and said his youngest kept telling him he worked too much. (In other words, play with me instead!)

Found out my mom's sister, who is also my Godmother, passed away last night. She died peacefully in the nursing home at age 94. Docs said she wasn't expected to be around much longer after they found out she had a significant sized aenurism in her abdomen - that was almost 6 years ago! Proved that wrong.

Been on social media, letting our large extended family know. Sure is easier to get the word out that way!

No funeral with this pandemic - she'll be cremated and a memorial service is being planned for July. Hopefully things have calmed down by then!

My church had planned to post a video on their portal at 11:00 a.m. this morning. Apparently the internet was not ready for the world to do church online. Our church online platform, youtube, and facebook were all experiencing streaming issues this morning as The Church gathered online. Later on it worked, so all is good.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post

Found out my mom's sister, who is also my Godmother, passed away last night. She died peacefully in the nursing home at age 94....

No funeral with this pandemic - she'll be cremated and a memorial service is being planned for July. Hopefully things have calmed down by then!
            Sorry for your family needing to put your aunt's celebration of life on hold for so long. I'm glad you're able to connect with them via social media.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I've been having some wonderful phone conversations and emails with family members and friends.

The love and support for one another is magnified and strengthened during times like this, and is truly a heartwarming experience.

Take Care Everyone
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I also have phone conversations with family and friends. Some texting. DH and I also watched our church service on facebook.

May Gods Peace be with Everyone
                God Bless Us All

Comment

My social connection today was mostly my husband. And, of course, Facebook and other online contacts.

My son slept in late because, without any discussion with us, he invited a friend to come over and watch a movie in our basement family room last night.

So ... , today we had a conversation with him about what he can do to decrease risk to us, in our own home, and to himself. Having guests in our home is clearly off limits; we also discussed other precautions that we didn't think we'd need to spell out to an intelligent adult.

I guess I got off topic. My other social contact was talking, briefly, to a neighbor, through am unopened door. She needed to borrow a rake from outside.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

How did you make a social connection today?
                    My next door neighbor had a baby on Friday. We did a video chat yesterday.

I called my dad and talked to him on the phone (he doesn't have a computer).

Also, I was part of a community meeting (via Zoom) led by our county health department about county health trends (unrelated to the Carona virus).
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                    X