Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPL2014 A big thank you for all you do. I do get it. You are being asked to battle without your suits of armour.

I have 3 nieces and nephews RNs, 1 in an ICU that has covid-19 patients. She is being told to reuse her mask all week. All are married with toddlers and infants. I worry tremendously about them.

On other platforms, I have been reminding people to only go out for essentials. Pissed at all the people I see going out to get supplies to remodel since they now "have the time". Their trip puts them at risk, their family, the store workers, and eventually, all the hardworking healthcare workers.

I pray you stay well. When you get some furure time, please update as to how you are making out.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Myoak,

It seems to me that you could make a point without referencing our political players.

What I get out of this thread, without getting political:
      • A large number of test kits were promised, but even that number is inadequate
      • People are still having trouble getting tested
      • Even when tested, there are significant, unacceptable, and possibly life altering and threatening delays
      • The best way to contain the pandemic is to test everyone and isolate positive people, even if asymptomatic. We are far from this.
      • Our healthcare teams are being sent to the frontline without adequate protection and without the equipment needed to help critically ill patients
      Lord knows I try to make a point w/o offending political biases, including yours, my good friend.

Overall, what you say you get out of this thread w/o being political is pretty darn good with only a minor tweak or two...

"A large number of test kits were promised, but even that number is inadequate"

Close but no cookie on this one. His statement days ago was that we had 14 million tests, that is not a promise, it was spoken as fact. Please note the title of the thread. If 14 million tests were available several days ago why have we only used, as of today, a bit over 100k to determine the extent of the pandemic? All the experts say test, test, test to gather data and make a plan for the data. If you get that point, then you are getting it as intended. No one but his fans wants to hear bluster of how many test kits are on hand, the point is how many are being used. Otherwise, you are missing the point, respectfully.

"People are still having trouble getting tested". You got this one perfectly, oh hell yes they are. Dozens desperate to find out where KittyCoCo got her test. People sick as sick can be line up daily in New York at hospitals to get tested. Watch TV tomorrow morning and see them.

"Even when tested, there are significant, unacceptable, and possibly life altering and threatening delays". Perfect understanding again!

"The best way to contain the pandemic is to test everyone and isolate positive people, even if asymptomatic. We are far from this."

No, my friend, I never have been that unrealistic. My point was with so many tests available, use more - learn more and adjust based on what is learned, that was my point.

"Our healthcare teams are being sent to the frontline without adequate protection and without the equipment needed to help critically ill patients"

Perfectly said. Perfectly said. Perfectly said.

We absolutely must properly equip our healthcare workers. If we sent soldiers into conflict virtually naked what would happen? The same thing, mass causalities. Dear God, nothing grips me with more importance than this point.

These people are not bullet-proof super humans. They have families, loved ones, weaknesses, frailties, vulnerabilities just like anyone else.

Somehow we, the rest of society has to get it together and equip them because our government, for whatever reason no longer matters, is clearly not up to the task. If the government does help, wonderful but that help appears too limited. We have to develop alternative methods for protecting healthcare workers and we have to so immediately.

PS. It appears that testing is being reduced in order to save on PPE. So perhaps, the incompetence exhibited in not testing may have the benefit of saving on PPE, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by DPL2014 View Post
        MyOak: I don’t comment a lot...I mostly come here for information and to learn. In my personal experience, when I see an opinion or post from you, specifically, it is always well researched and backed up by facts/links. Thank you for that, on behalf of MSWorld lurkers everywhere. 😉

As a health care worker, I feel seen when I read your posts, especially on this thread. We wonder “do people know what we’re going through? Do they understand what sending people back to work in the peak of this virus will do to all of US?!?! We STILL don’t have the equipment to help you if you get sick! We don’t even have the equipment to protect ourselves!” I love the happy posts and I participate in them from time to time. Many thanks to everyone for those posts.

That said, special thanks to those who understand the reality of this pandemic and the reasons health care workers and health care workers with MS, like me, are angry/frustrated with how this is being handled.

In closing, everyone be well and stay your butt in the house. LOL
        Thank you, DPL2014 for all you and your co-workers are doing. We have a ton of respect and admiration for you and all our healthcare workers.

Thank you also for your very kind words which are encouraging, especially during this time. Thank you.

KittyCoCo informed that she finally received her test results this afternoon and she is not infected! SUPER! She tested at 9 am on March 19 and got her results this afternoon March 28. That incomprehensible delay hardly needs comment but... day after day after day I hear blustering BS of how wonderfully testing has been going. A little less wonderful in the real world isn't it, KittyCoCo?

Comment

Mamabug and Pennstater: Please stay safe. Keeping your family in my prayers. ❤️
          "It matters not how strait the gate,
          How charged with punishments the scroll,
          I am the master of my fate,
          I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Awww; thanks! Everyone, stay safe! We're all in this together. 💗
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Likewise. Check in when you can. Will keep you in my prayers as well.
              Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
                KittyCoCo informed that she finally received her test results this afternoon and she is not infected! SUPER! She tested at 9 am on March 19 and got her results this afternoon March 28. That incomprehensible delay hardly needs comment but... day after day after day I hear blustering BS of how wonderfully testing has been going. A little less wonderful in the real world isn't it, KittyCoCo?
                Great to hear that KittyCoCo is negative but what a horrible ordeal to be isolated that long while you wait. I was isolating myself from my husband for a week already because he had traveled domestically but the 3 days we thought he might be positive were even worse. I am in a county in Texas that has a Shelter-in-place order; most people are taking it seriously but some are not. We do not have a Statewide order because the Governor feels it's not reasonable for rural counties that have no cases. I actually don't disagree with him as long as those counties are being super diligent about testing and isolating known contacts but I don't believe that's the case so I worry about those in rural areas who tend to be older and may not have easy access to hospitals.

I've been doing a lot of reading about how different Countries are dealing with this virus and it seems that many of them are fumbling. I hope that out of this a worldwide study will be done on what worked and what didn't. I also hope that for all of us who have been forced to slow down, we will use it to evaluate what is important in life.

My dad is a retired RN. To all of you who are yourself or have family in the trenches, you are in my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueIsTheBest View Post
                  Great to hear that KittyCoCo is negative but what a horrible ordeal to be isolated that long while you wait. I was isolating myself from my husband for a week already because he had traveled domestically but the 3 days we thought he might be positive were even worse. I am in a county in Texas that has a Shelter-in-place order; most people are taking it seriously but some are not. We do not have a Statewide order because the Governor feels it's not reasonable for rural counties that have no cases. I actually don't disagree with him as long as those counties are being super diligent about testing and isolating known contacts but I don't believe that's the case so I worry about those in rural areas who tend to be older and may not have easy access to hospitals.

I've been doing a lot of reading about how different Countries are dealing with this virus and it seems that many of them are fumbling. I hope that out of this a worldwide study will be done on what worked and what didn't. I also hope that for all of us who have been forced to slow down, we will use it to evaluate what is important in life.

My dad is a retired RN. To all of you who are yourself or have family in the trenches, you are in my thoughts.
                  It is thoughtful and touching that so many honor our front line workers in this health crisis.

Sad to say that even rural areas are beginning to be impacted by COVID spread. Lack of testing remains a huge obstacle in identifying not only asymptomatic carriers but those with mild symptoms are not being tested, either. For those reasons, we are like to experience COVID even in rural areas so be prepared and diligent if you live in a rural area, as I do.

Our county in Ohio has its first confirmed case in the local hospital. A study by the University of Texas indicates a 51% probability of an outbreak when a county has JUST ONE confirmed case of COVID-19.

https://cid.utexas.edu/sites/default...s_4.3.2020.pdf

Cases of COVID-19 are seriously under reported nationally due to lack of testing and getting results. Two days ago at the daily briefing Dr. Birx reported 1 million tests were in the pipeline, yet to be processed, confirming KittyCoCo's 9 day delay in getting results from her test.

Deaths from COVID-19 are under reported also, according to CDC spokesperson Nordlund.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention counts only deaths in which the presence of the coronavirus is confirmed in a laboratory test. “We know that it is an underestimation,” agency spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund said...

Some people who die at home or in overburdened nursing homes are not being tested, according to funeral directors, medical examiners and nursing home representatives...

Some officials say testing the dead is a misuse of scarce resources that could be used on the living.

Tragically, under testing and under reporting of deaths contributes greatly, IMO, to the 51% probability presented in the U of Texas study of a COVID-19 outbreak in my home county. Tragically, if the U of Texas is correct, and I believe they are, the pandemic in many areas, like mine, has just begun.

Distancing remains the best option we have to keep safe and curtail disease spread.

Comment

I live in a suburb of Philly. It is ramping up here. I check daily the state and county websites for data. It is probably becoming a hot spot. I figure we are not far from NYC and are probably 2-4 weeks behind in trends.

2 weeks ago, there were 5 counties, all rural with no cases in PA. All 5 now have cases reported. Our cabin is in a rural county with no hospital. But as a local neighbor said when we last checked in, for the most part, social distancing is a way of life for many. So hopefully that helps some.

They have been reporting for awhile that both positive cases and deaths are underreported across the country. We will never know true numbers.

I just pray that for all essential workers, the rapid test soon becomes available so risk is minimized to them, & before non- essentials go back to work.

My husband works for the commuter rail trains. He was retiring in July, then moved it up to June then May. He may just go now. Too many cases and we don't need the risk. Even though modified schedule, cancelled lines, & few riders, still too high a risk.

Hope all stay healthy and well.
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

I just pray that for all essential workers, the rapid test soon becomes available so risk is minimized to them, & before non- essentials go back to work.

My husband works for the commuter rail trains. He was retiring in July, then moved it up to June then May. He may just go now. Too many cases and we don't need the risk. Even though modified schedule, cancelled lines, & few riders, still too high a risk.

Hope all stay healthy and well.
                      I am praying your husband will be safe. I hope he is able to wear a mask during work remembering that eyes, nose, and mouth are routes of entry to be protected as much as possible.

Testing everyone, essential workers and all workers before returning to work is the only sane thing to do and is the only method that will reduce infections. 19 staff members at the nursing home below in Hoover AL, just south of Birmingham, tested positive and 13 of those had no symptoms. 17 residents also tested positive.

"A spokesman for the company that operates South Haven Health and Rehabilitation in Hoover said 19 staff members and 17 residents recently tested positive for COVID-19.

Joe Perkins, a spokesman for Northport Health Services, said 13 of the staff members showed no symptoms. They only came to light because the facility chose to test all residents and staff members after two workers fell ill in March.

Perkins said the company has taken an aggressive approach to COVID-19 by implementing broad testing and isolation for infected residents. Early on, they received special permission to test people without symptoms, despite early state policies that restricted the criteria.

As a result, he said patients and staff have fared well. The asymptomatic employees would not have been detected under requirements that limited screening to people with fevers.

“We would have just known about the six people who had symptoms,” Perkins said.

Studies have shown that some people contract COVID-19 and never develop symptoms, unknowingly passing the illness to others. Perkins said the company adopted widespread screening to detect those cases and prevent further spread.

“When this virus gets into a facility, any facility, it’s very tough to get rid of it,” Perkins said.

Residents who have tested positive have been isolated and are receiving extra care, he said.

“All of this looks very promising for the people that have contracted it,” Perkins End Quote

IMO, it looks pretty scary for the community having so many asymptomatic infected seeding everyone not keeping a distance.

al.com/news/2020/04/testing-reveals-36-coronavirus-cases-at-one-hoover-nursing-home

Comment

My BIL and sister have the virus and are just getting over it, and my BIL will be away from his job for one more week as se down .

My BIL is considered "essential" so he was working in a room with other computer users, but had tried to distance from each other. The job has someone at each computer for 24 hours, so 3 eight hour shifts, 3 different people using the same computer.

He spiked a fever at work and they took his temperature, which was elevated, so they sent him to be tested. He received his results in a day, and he was positive. His symptoms were gastrointestinal, as well as body aches, fever and extreme fatigue. My sister came down with exactly the same symptoms 2 days after him. (they asked if she should have a test and they said no seeing that her symptoms were the same as his and followed the exact symptoms he had.)

It's been a week now since they began to get sick, and both are starting to feel "back to normal"
                        but have been warned to go slow and let their bodies recover...besides, he can't go back to work for another week or so. (I'm not sure what the exact schedule they're on, but they have given him a date at which he can go back to work.) My sister wonders how many people are like them and don't get the severe flu

Their state (Michigan) made things very easy to get tested and to get timely results of the test.
                        They have one teenage son left at home. They used the basement "man cave" as a place to
                        keep him quarantined as much as possible. They usually use it as a place for online game playing, watching TV or movies, etc. There's also a couch, so he's sleeping on the couch.

Both of them had a relatively mild case, and were quite thankful that they did. However, they
                        wondered why the news never mentions that you may just get a mild case and that would take
                        some of the "fear" out of getting the Corona virus

Comment

That must have been scary for the whole family as it could have turned out quite worse. So glad they got tested in a timely fashion, had a mild case and are on the mend! I thought the quarantine time period recommended for those who have had it is 2 weeks after symptoms ?

My step daughter had a elevated fever and gastrointestinal symptoms one night and called her dr the next morning. She went in for a test right away and found out results by nighttime. Luckily, she tested negative and just had a 24 hr flu. Needless to say, we were very concerned, but thankful she got test results back quickly!

I hope your sister and bil take it easy and have a full recovery!
                          Last edited by Seasha; 04-13-2020, 12:13 AM.
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                          X