X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitty CoCo

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
    Hi KittyCoCo,

No word, yet? Well, at least you got tested. You are at 5 days and counting but results will come one of these days, I'm certain.

Here in Ohio, regardless of symptoms, exposure, or any other reason we cannot even get tested unless we are hospitalized or work medically according to editors at the Defiance Crescent News in today's newspaper. Unbelievable! You are so right, many will die that could have been prevented if testing had been available so carriers were identified and quarantined instead of walking around spreading disease.

Apparently, authorities still are incapable of testing for one reason or another and have given up even trying, in Ohio.

Dear God, symptomatic sufferers do not even qualify for testing unless hospitalized in this state?! How insane is that?

We had 14 million test kits 3 days ago and millions more being made every week so let's pat ourselves on the back for that accomplishment.
    No word yet. I called and they said they were out testing and leave your name and number. Now Trump wants everything back to normal for Easter. I'll be lucky to have my tests by then.

Comment

The reason I think the COVID-19 virus will continue spreading and doubling every 3 days in Ohio is because it is happening in New York. It's difficult to quarantine people when we don't know who has the disease. That's why we MUST test extensively!

Quote, "The state (Ohio) is limiting testing to those who are hospitalized and to health care workers. The Ohio Department of Health said people with suspected symptoms should call a medical provider first, but seek immediate help if symptoms are serious, such as difficulty breathing or shortness of breath." End Quote

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-historic-high

Unless more people are tested and, if infected quarantined, our numbers here in Ohio likely will increase exponentially as seen in New York; increasing in number by doubling every 3 days until hopefully, the effects of our "stay-at-home" order begins impacting the fatality rate, which in Italy took about 2 weeks. But whether Ohioans actually stay at home, as hoped, remains to be seen.

Italy has been locked down except for essential services. Deaths from COVID-19 in Italy may have peaked Saturday when there were 793 deaths that day. Sunday 651 died. Monday 601 died. But yesterday the toll rose again, to 743.

Tragically, our numbers in the US are probably destined to rocket past Italy's due to lack of testing, lack of preparation, and lack of taking the situation seriously enough, soon enough.

We will eventually get on top of it but we wasted valuable weeks in denial and being so slow on the draw... no one wanted to speak frankly and risk offending... even now I can't say more w/o offending someone. As my dear, dear doctor exclaims when I want to hear only happy talk about my health, "Just suffer then!" She is by far, the best doctor I have ever had because she is so frank, so honest, so truly caring.

Politeness is always in order but frankness has a place, also, and never more so when life and death are at issue.

I'd rather err on the side of prompting extra caution than see someone suffer agony from this virus because I chose cheap, phony, happy talk over frankness.

I trust some will understand; hopefully enough, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyCoCo View Post
        No word yet. I called and they said they were out testing and leave your name and number. Now Trump wants everything back to normal for Easter. I'll be lucky to have my tests by then.
        I'm so sorry that today is the 6th day since you were tested and have yet to learn the result. On the huge plus side, you very likely have a mild case or are negative! Thank God!

On the other hand mild cases are one reason why it is so easy for infected people to transfer the virus. Rand Paul apparently didn't get his results for 6 or 7 days, also, so you are not alone, KittyCoCo.

If we compare the trajectory of disease in the US with the trajectory of this virus in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and South Korea it tells us several things. Here is what it tells me:

1. The worst is yet to come in the US. We are only at the beginning of disease spread. The US likely will become the epicenter of the disease before this week is out.

2. Our healthcare system is not as prepared as the 4 countries mentioned above so the trajectory of the disease will continue to skyrocket here.

3. A large segment of our society prefers happy talk over frankness contributing to a failure of collective responsibility meaning the trajectory of the disease will continue skyrocketing until we sober up sufficiently to act prudent individually, and as a society.

4. Our society, as a whole, is not as sophisticated as Japan, South Korea, Singapore, or Hong Kong when it comes to battling this virus. The difference in disease trajectory between us and those countries is shocking to most Americans. In the battle against a virus, rugged individualism, for all its appeal, is not nearly as effective as passionate cooperation which is reflected in disease trajectory.

5. The light at the end of tunnel in the US is a bullet train coming full bore, so heads up!

6. All this is JMHO.

Comment

3. A large segment of our society prefers happy talk over frankness contributing to a failure of collective responsibility meaning the trajectory of the disease will continue skyrocketing until we sober up sufficiently to act prudent individually, and as a society.
          I disagree with part of your statement. I live in an area where all non-essential employees and businesses were ordered closed and people to stay home. Major roadways and highways are empty, cars are all at people's houses, playgrounds, basketball courts, field are all empty as well. People are taking it serious.

Our county has the 2nd most cases in PA, it is in our township and all surrounding, and the township where my infusion is has the 2nd most cases in our county.

I have 2 nieces and nephews in the front line, with covid-19 patients in their care. Another is to return from maternity leave in 2 weeks to a hospital setting.

And yes, I prefer "happy talk". But it is not at the expense of staying informed and educated. You can do both. But I don't have to spend my days dwelling in the doom and gloom, with all my conversations centered on it to understand the impact this may have to patients and healthcare overall. People need a break from it and it is healthy to take that break and enjoy that happy talk.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

I don't have to spend my days dwelling in the doom and gloom, with all my conversations centered on it to understand the impact this may have to patients and healthcare overall. People need a break from it and it is healthy to take that break and enjoy that happy talk.
            Thank you! I agree with Kathy.

I take this seriously. I stay home. My husband does our grocery shopping and our essential errands. So, I take the "frankness" Myoak is talking about seriously.

But I don't exclude happiness. I've tried to start threads that can be fun or encouraging or uplifting, rather than scary. Staying home is one thing we can (and should) do to stay healthy. Staying positive and happy is another.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The reason I think the COVID-19 virus will continue spreading and doubling every 3 days in Ohio is because it is happening in New York. It's difficult to quarantine people when we don't know who has the disease. That's why we MUST test extensively!

Quote, "The state (Ohio) is limiting testing to those who are hospitalized and to health care workers. The Ohio Department of Health said people with suspected symptoms should call a medical provider first, but seek immediate help if symptoms are serious, such as difficulty breathing or shortness of breath." End Quote

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-historic-high

Unless more people are tested and, if infected quarantined, our numbers here in Ohio likely will increase exponentially as seen in New York; increasing in number by doubling every 3 days until hopefully, the effects of our "stay-at-home" order begins impacting the fatality rate, which in Italy took about 2 weeks. But whether Ohioans actually stay at home, as hoped, remains to be seen.

Italy has been locked down except for essential services. Deaths from COVID-19 in Italy may have peaked Saturday when there were 793 deaths that day. Sunday 651 died. Monday 601 died. But yesterday the toll rose again, to 743.

Tragically, our numbers in the US are probably destined to rocket past Italy's due to lack of testing, lack of preparation, and lack of taking the situation seriously enough, soon enough.

We will eventually get on top of it but we wasted valuable weeks in denial and being so slow on the draw... no one wanted to speak frankly and risk offending... even now I can't say more w/o offending someone. As my dear, dear doctor exclaims when I want to hear only happy talk about my health, "Just suffer then!" She is by far, the best doctor I have ever had because she is so frank, so honest, so truly caring.

Politeness is always in order but frankness has a place, also, and never more so when life and death are at issue.

I'd rather err on the side of prompting extra caution than see someone suffer agony from this virus because I chose cheap, phony, happy talk over frankness.

I trust some will understand; hopefully enough, anyway.

You are so right Myoak.

I think we will be hitting our peak at that time. Of all countries the US is progressing at the highest rate of them all. So many deaths still to come. It's time to listen only to the CDC. We, (MSers) of all people are at such a high risk. As I was answering questions to qualify for testing I could tell the doctor was still a bit skeptical. The last question was about auto immune deficiency. I mentioned M.S. and along with the flu he ordered me to be tested at once. I wish the results came as fast as the test did.

***Moderator's Note: Some of this has been edited per Guideline #11. Political statements that may cause discord are not aligned with the Mission of MSWorld***

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Thank you! I agree with Kathy.

I take this seriously. I stay home. My husband does our grocery shopping and our essential errands. So, I take the "frankness" Myoak is talking about seriously.

But I don't exclude happiness. I've tried to start threads that can be fun or encouraging or uplifting, rather than scary. Staying home is one thing we can (and should) do to stay healthy. Staying positive and happy is another.
                It is important and healthy to stay positive and happy. That is not the "happy talk" I make reference to. When I do make plain the "happy talk" I refer to, I get warnings from MSWorld about their policy against making overt political comments. Therefore, I cannot speak directly nor freely about what I mean by "happy talk".

It is quite challenging to present information and opinion w/o offending hyper-sensitive political feelings but I try very, very hard to do so because I believe some of what I present could be important to the health of someone reading.

Honestly, I fully expect this post to get moderated, also, as benign as is it in my view.

Overall, MSWorld has great moderators and administrators and a few good ones, too. Seasha has my complete confidence to edit, moderate, eliminate or do anything else she sees fit with my posts because her integrity is always intact and her judgement beyond question. If Seasha thinks I am too political then I have no problem accepting that determination.

Beyond that, if I said what I truly think, it would be moderated, I am certain. I always must tip-toe even on potential life and death matters.

Bottom line, IMO, people will die as a result. I am not free here to say who has been doing it, nor why. It is not anyone at MS World.

Yes, we need the kind of positivity generated by Mamabug and others, for sure! I encourage you to continue, Mamabug, the things you are doing are truly valuable to health and well-being.

Kathy, Pennstater, I have no doubt you have a good grasp on the situation and I appreciate the fact you have loved ones on the front lines and empathize greatly. They realize what is coming, I'm sure. But I also know people who have not taken this seriously. Last week today, Wednesday, was one of the most crowded days ever at Florida beaches according to interviews I saw on TV. So I'm not going to pretend I didn't see gross stupidity that retards the fight against viral transmission. The beaches are closed finally but several clueless state leaders still act as though the pandemic will miss them. Amazing! I know why they think that, too, but if I speak plainly it may offend ideological positions.

KittyCoCo, for heaven's sake, don't you have your test results? The pandemic hasn't even hit your area yet and it is taking 6 days for your test result? Doesn't exactly instill confidence churches will be packed come Easter Sunday as we all hope, does it? Oops, apologizes for that overt political comment, if that's your take on it, KittyCoCo. I didn't intend to offend you.

To all who are offended by my posts... please don't read them and upset yourself needlessly. Seriously, just hit ignore, there is no value in them for you and you will feel happier. At best, and in truth, I post for the one person who might benefit. To me that is more than enough.

***Moderator's Note: Some of this has been edited per Guideline #11. Political statements that may cause discord are not aligned with the Mission of MSWorld***
                Last edited by Seasha; 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

KittyCoCo,

We all hope you are well!

Have you gotten results back about your COVID-19 test taken 7 days ago? Yesterday at the daily briefing the President emphasized the availability of tests and prompt results comparing how much better testing is going in the US compared to South Korea. Is that accurate in your experience?

You were tested last Thursday, one full week ago. Has not getting results affected your life? Are you in total isolation? Have you kept away from loved ones for the entire week? Have you gotten away from the house at all?

I am so, so sorry for what you are going through.

Listen sweetheart, because of the time lapse and if you are feeling better, the good news is it extremely likely YOU DO NOT HAVE COVID-19 OR YOU HAVE A VERY MILD CASE AND WILL BE FINE! We are all hope you are okay.

I have read of others who died w/o treatment while waiting for test results, including a 39 year-old woman. Incompetence at the top leads to people dying.

KittCoCo, may I ask a favor? Will you post asap when you get your results?

Thank you so much, and be well!

Comment

Myoak,

This post is from me, a member, and not as a moderator.

I have always appreciated your knowledge and valuable posts and know that they are driven by a deep desire to help others.

I personally follow politics and have many thoughts, but I do not reference any of it on this site. There are many other sites to do this and get into discussions, even arguments. Aside from the quidelines, there are people from other countries here who could care less about US politics. There are also people of differing opinions. And there are people who just don't like politics.

I try to remember that this site is to help people in limbo or diagnosed with MS, as well as their caregivers and loved ones. Are there times I would like to comment on our government, absolutely. But out of respect for this site, I don't. Asking people to just not read your thread if offended can only happen after they read your thread and were offended.

It seems to me that you could make a point without referencing our political players.

What I get out of this thread, without getting political:
                    • A large number of test kits were promised, but even that number is inadequate
                    • People are still having trouble getting tested
                    • Even when tested, there are significant, unacceptable, and possibly life altering and threatening delays
                    • The best way to contain the pandemic is to test everyone and isolate positive people, even if asymptomatic. We are far from this.
                    • Our healthcare teams are being sent to the frontline without adequate protection and without the equipment needed to help critically ill patients

I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for this site.
                    Kathy

Comment

Myoak,

I have always appreciated your knowledge and valuable posts and know that they are driven by a deep desire to help others.

I personally follow politics and have many thoughts, but I do not reference any of it on this site. There are many other sites to do this and get into discussions, even arguments. Aside from the quidelines, there are people from other countries here who could care less about US politics. There are also people of differing opinions. And there are people who just don't like politics.

I try to remember that this site is to help people in limbo or diagnosed with MS, as well as their caregivers and loved ones. Are there times I would like to comment on our government, absolutely. But out of respect for this site, I don't. Asking people to just not read your thread if offended can only happen after they read your thread and were offended.

It seems to me that you could make a point without referencing our political players.

• Even when tested, there are significant, unacceptable, and possibly life altering and threatening delays
                      • The best way to contain the pandemic is to test everyone and isolate positive people, even if asymptomatic. We are far from this.
                      • Our healthcare teams are being sent to the frontline without adequate protection and without the equipment needed to help critically ill patients

I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for this site.
                      I appreciate your views and the fact that you are able to present them so freely. Unfortunately, that has my experience of late due to hyper-political sensitivities where I have not been able to post without moderation (like this morning for instance) regarding critical life and death issues because of those who view them in violation of the site's rule banning comments deemed "overt political".

Dare I mention a death in my family yesterday related to COVID-19? Or would it be banned as "overt political" comment?

At no time have I disrespected this site, the moderators, or anyone on it.

And, you are absolutely wrong making this statement... "Asking people to just not read your thread if offended can only happen after they read your thread and were offended."

The point I made was if you see my name on a post, don't read it, that way you won't be offended. No, you don't have to read it, my friend.

I'll be lucky to even have it posted, anyway.

It is sad to see information restricted because of politics but that is the world we now live in.

As always, JMHO.

Comment

Myoak,

Time out everyone. We are all friends here.

I continue waiting for my test results. I have called them 4 times but they do not have the results, yet. It has been 7 days now.

Dozens of people have been contacting me to find out where I got tested because they want and need to be tested and cannot get tested.

I was tested by appointment at a drive-up to a medical facility in the Birmingham, Alabama area. Before going to be tested I had to be interviewed by a doctor and he made the appointment.

The test was a long swab up my nose. It took less than 5 minutes. There were only a couple of other cars there.

I continue having some symptoms nevertheless I remain optimistic.

Not knowing has been a horrible strain on me and my family. I have been isolated and unable to see or hug my beautiful grandchildren for an entire week. The mental strain of not knowing has not been good. Talk is cheap. We must begin doing better on the ground.

Comment

It is important and healthy to stay positive and happy. That is not the "happy talk" I make reference to. When I do make plain the "happy talk" I refer to, I get warnings from MSWorld about their policy against making overt political comments. Therefore, I cannot speak directly nor freely about what I mean by "happy talk".

It is quite challenging to present information and opinion w/o offending hyper-sensitive political feelings but I try very, very hard to do so because I believe some of what I present could be important to the health of someone reading.

Honestly, I fully expect this post to get moderated, also, as benign as is it in my view.

Overall, MSWorld has great moderators and administrators and a few good ones, too. Seasha has my complete confidence to edit, moderate, eliminate or do anything else she sees fit with my posts because her integrity is always intact and her judgement beyond question. If Seasha thinks I am too political then I have no problem accepting that determination.

Beyond that, if I said what I truly think, it would be moderated, I am certain. I always must tip-toe even on potential life and death matters.

Bottom line, IMO, people will die as a result. I am not free here to say who has been doing it, nor why. It is not anyone at MS World.

Yes, we need the kind of positivity generated by Mamabug and others, for sure! I encourage you to continue, Mamabug, the things you are doing are truly valuable to health and well-being.

Kathy, Pennstater, I have no doubt you have a good grasp on the situation and I appreciate the fact you have loved ones on the front lines and empathize greatly. They realize what is coming, I'm sure. But I also know people who have not taken this seriously. Last week today, Wednesday, was one of the most crowded days ever at Florida beaches according to interviews I saw on TV. So I'm not going to pretend I didn't see gross stupidity that retards the fight against viral transmission. The beaches are closed finally but several clueless state leaders still act as though the pandemic will miss them. Amazing! I know why they think that, too, but if I speak plainly it may offend ideological positions.

KittyCoCo, for heaven's sake, don't you have your test results? The pandemic hasn't even hit your area yet and it is taking 6 days for your test result? Doesn't exactly instill confidence churches will be packed come Easter Sunday as we all hope, does it? Oops, apologizes for that overt political comment, if that's your take on it, KittyCoCo. I didn't intend to offend you.

To all who are offended by my posts... please don't read them and upset yourself needlessly. Seriously, just hit ignore, there is no value in them for you and you will feel happier. At best, and in truth, I post for the one person who might benefit. To me that is more than enough.

This will be my last post. I have enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences and life stories but it's best I bow out now. I have very strong political opinions why we are in this mess and this isn't the place to express them. I hope this pandemic doesn't last too much longer but I'm afraid the worst is yet to come. Best of luck and well wishes to you all. Take care. Kathy (KittyCoCo)

Comment

I appreciate your views and the fact that you are able to present them so freely. Unfortunately, that has my experience of late due to hyper-political sensitivities where I have not been able to post without moderation (like this morning for instance) regarding critical life and death issues because of those who view them in violation of the site's rule banning comments deemed "overt political".

Dare I mention a death in my family yesterday related to COVID-19? Or would it be banned as "overt political" comment?

And, you are absolutely wrong making this statement... "Asking people to just not read your thread if offended can only happen after they read your thread and were offended."

The point I made was if you see my name on a post, don't read it, that way you won't be offended. No, you don't have to read it, my friend.

It is sad to see information restricted because of politics but that is the world we now live in.

As always, JMHO.
                            I am deeply sorry for your loss myoak. It is terrible that anyone has to grieve a loss during this period of social distancing. My heart goes out to you and your family. I have had 3 friends lose parents the last 2 weeks, not covid-19, but they couldn't be together with them in hospitals,nor can they grieve and hug with family and friends. Again, my deepest sympathy.

I am sorry to about the point of not reading your posts. I should have expanded on it. I don't want that to be the message - for members to ignore myoak's posts. You are a valued contributor and have provided many of us with research and technical materials to which I am very grateful. You have alot of insight into MS and stay on top of research.

I also did not mean to infer you didn't respect this site, its members, or moderators.

I do think you are being unfair to ask if your statement above was "overt political". I see no mention of policies or elected officials. Have posts you submitted been edited when they didn't contain references to policies and/or elected officials? If that is the case, please bring to our attention.

At this point, i apologize to all. I may have blurred the lines between being a member and moderator. I won't comment further.
                            Kathy

Comment

As always, JMHO.
                              MyOak: I don’t comment a lot...I mostly come here for information and to learn. In my personal experience, when I see an opinion or post from you, specifically, it is always well researched and backed up by facts/links. Thank you for that, on behalf of MSWorld lurkers everywhere. 😉

As a health care worker, I feel seen when I read your posts, especially on this thread. We wonder “do people know what we’re going through? Do they understand what sending people back to work in the peak of this virus will do to all of US?!?! We STILL don’t have the equipment to help you if you get sick! We don’t even have the equipment to protect ourselves!” I love the happy posts and I participate in them from time to time. Many thanks to everyone for those posts.

That said, special thanks to those who understand the reality of this pandemic and the reasons health care workers and health care workers with MS, like me, are angry/frustrated with how this is being handled.

In closing, everyone be well and stay your butt in the house. LOL
                              "It matters not how strait the gate,
                              How charged with punishments the scroll,
                              I am the master of my fate,
                              I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DPL2014 View Post

MyOak: I don’t comment a lot...I mostly come here for information and to learn. In my personal experience, when I see an opinion or post from you, specifically, it is always well researched and backed up by facts/links. Thank you for that, on behalf of MSWorld lurkers everywhere. 😉

As a health care worker, I feel seen when I read your posts, especially on this thread. We wonder “do people know what we’re going through? Do they understand what sending people back to work in the peak of this virus will do to all of US?!?! ...

In closing, everyone be well and stay your butt in the house. LOL
                                Thanks to all you do for ball of us, as a health care worker. My daughter is a nurse and I appreciate all the health care workers, as well as other essential service workers.
                                ~ Faith
                                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                                X