• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 03-19-2020

5 checked in this last week.

1 met goals
    4 met partial goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Didn't make goals. Except for Thursday last week, I didn't attend any group exercises. I also didn't do well at exercising at home.

Total steps = not enough
    Exercised 3x this week:
    - Silver Sneakers (1x)
    - PT at home (2x)
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Guess I'm with Mamabug... Partial at best.

OLD STANDARDS made:

1x @ week = stretching w. 1 lb. wrist weights & pole. 20 minutes each at home
      1x this week = 100 sit-ups on decline bench at 30 degrees @ gym

Monday: 30 minutes mixed cardio @ gym. Rest of session (leg day) went so-so unfortunately, routines varied as did success but bad leg really lost strength / endurance as day went on. Gym closed officially on Tuesday until further notice.
      Tuesday: No more pool therapy either until further notice.

NEW STANDARD (all at home).... SO FAR...

4X @ week = stretching w. 1 lb. wrist weights & pole. 20 minutes each at home (status quo)

2x @ week = 30 sit-ups with wrist weights
      2x @ week = 30 crunches with wrist weights
      2x @ week = sets of 30 reps various attempts at curls, flys and the like with light dumbells
      2x @ week = sets of 30 reps various attempts at isometrics with elastic bands

All the NEW stuff took only 20+ minutes in total, pretty lame currently. But if I focus, alter, change & add... may improve.

Miss the cardio a lot. Decided against gym even though I had permission to use cardio room (alone in closed gym). Too many posts giving me pause that I could be a carrier I guess. I may revisit this thinking. My cardio (breathing much deeper) and my core exercises have produced the only continuously improving results since I began at gym in '08. All else is spotty / inconsistant at best or declining slowly.

How are my fellow Goal Posters doing??

Comment

Doing well, Jer. Glad to see you've set up new standards and did quite well with that!

Mamabug, we're all trying to adjust! Hope you have a better next week.

My yoga class was canceled, so trying unsuccessfully to do a home practice. Same with PT exercises - not enough.

BUT, I'm making up with all that by getting out in my garden for the last 3 warm sunny days. Since my scooter is no longer working, I'm slowly walking with my outdoor walker to get there. That is exercise enough! Spending time weeding - fingers in the warm soil is so healing for my soul.

I also babysat twice and went grocery shopping to stock up. The cart was so full that my dh had to help me push it!

Looks like I won't be able to babysit next week and rain is in the forecast for sometime next week, so will have to adjust and find ways to keep moving!

Hope for continued wellness and finding ways to adjust during these times for all.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I'm making up with all that by getting out in my garden for the last 3 warm sunny days. Since my scooter is no longer working, I'm slowly walking with my outdoor walker to get there. That is exercise enough! Spending time weeding - fingers in the warm soil is so healing for my soul.

Seasha, just reading the above was good for my soul. Thanks. It's warmer here too, but the best I can offer is skunk cabbage popping their heads up a few inches. About 2-3 weeks early. Good to see.

I'm slowly walking with my outdoor walker to get there. That is exercise enough!

Yep, Good enough!

Jer

Comment

Accomplished Goals

Hi everyone

Looks like everyone is doing their best to transition from going out for exercise, to doing home exercises. It might not be as desirable for some, but it can be done.

I had a much better week, and thankfully made my goals. No 'dragging' days!

Yesterday (Thursday) I moved around quite a bit doing some extra chores. I still do so
            much better during the first half of the day.

I will keep the same goals for next week:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good energy, good health, and peace of mind to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good job on "no dragging days", KoKo!!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good job on "no dragging days", KoKo!!
                Thanks Seasha, but I don't have a lot of control over those kind of days.

I still have dragging moments on a daily basis, but usually not for the entire day, thank goodness.
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  Looks like everyone is doing their best to transition from going out for exercise, to doing home exercises. It might not be as desirable for some, but it can be done.

Hey KoKo, ...know all about the "dragging," That Janis Joplin line "...like a ball and chain." As you said, it isn't as bad in mornings.

Come this Monday I am going to attempt a new "exercise." With a chair nearby for possible use later, I plan on getting to knees, onto side, flat onto back. Then do a set, say 15, of a leg exercise. At completion, rise without using chair.... hopefully. Repeat, doing a different leg exercise. Repeat, etc.

I plan on getting up and down as much as I safely can. When I cannot continue, I will stay on feet or on floor and exercise upper body / arms. The time alone is taking its toll don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Come this Monday I am going to attempt a new "exercise." With a chair nearby for possible use later, I plan on getting to knees, onto side, flat onto back. Then do a set, say 15, of a leg exercise. At completion, rise without using chair.... hopefully. Repeat, doing a different leg exercise. Repeat, etc.

I plan on getting up and down as much as I safely can. When I cannot continue, I will stay on feet or on floor and exercise upper body / arms.
                    Good luck to you Jer, my courageous friend!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    The time alone is taking its toll don't you think?
                    I'm good so far. I talk on the phone a lot and use email as well.

I normally don't go out much during the cold and flu season.

I'm learning the French language online at this time too.

Comment

Nice to see everyone checking in regardless of our current situation. A break for normal routines is an added challenge when trying to accomplish our goals. Kudos to those who were able to accomplish their goals or are satisfied with their output. I hope everyone is doing well.

Kidscare at home, wife and I are working and everyone I am close to is healthy. It's all good.

I didn't get any Jiu Jitsu in, no yoga but, I did get in a 3.5 mile run accomplished. So I'll say I missed my goals. C'est la vie.

I've been taking it easy and resting, spending some relaxing time in the evening with the fam and walking in the evening with my wife. I'm averaging about 13k steps a day and I have been very disciplined with my diet.

Keep it going.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                        I've been taking it easy and resting, spending some relaxing time in the evening with the fam and walking in the evening with my wife. I'm averaging about 13k steps a day and I have been very disciplined with my diet.
                        Walking, a disciplined diet, and time for relaxation - excellent strategy for overall good health, Boudreaux!

Good for you!

Comment

Working...
                        X