Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being a nurse with MS amid Covid 19

HI All,

I have not been around in a while. I am curious how other healthcare providers with MS feel about working right now. I completely understand the higher risks of those taking DMDs and/or steroids but I do not fit those categories. I am just exhausted and I worry if I am unfortunate enough to contract Covid 19, I would not be able to recover fully.
    Because there may be others with similar situations, I am looking for opinions. Do I suck it up and hope for the best or do I talk with my doc and go on a leave for now. What would you all do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you in advance!
    Jodi
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Hey!

Thanks so much for asking this question. I’m an ultrasound tech at a hospital and things are very scary right now. We are inundated and don’t have the proper equipment, especially masks, to protect ourselves. We scan people and find out days later “hey! They might be positive! Test results will come back in a few days.” HUH?! All this compounded by the fact that I take Tysabri, which I’ve read makes us more susceptible to lung infections. I’ve never taken anxiety meds in my life before 7 days ago. Am I gonna get this and bring it home to my diabetic husband? Will I get it, recover, and have an exacerbation?

I love my job. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done. I love my patients. No idea how to go forward from here. Hang in there. Let us all know what you decide !
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

nurse amid coronavirus

I also posted last week about being a dental hygienist during this time. Now it seems most dental offices are closing. I take Tecfidera which modulates the immune system. It doesn't suppress it like many of the DMTs. It is risky putting your health at risk whether or not you are on medication. You have to make the choice. It's hard especially if the income is needed and you love your job. You can speak with your doctor but in my experience they never tell you what to do but can advise you.

Comment

Thank you all who work in healthcare. You guys are amazing. I pray you all stay healthy and safe. It is such a personal risk assessment you have to make regarding your work. I wish you the best of luck.

God bless all of you.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all for the work you do. I was a respiratory therapist during the Ebola outbreak. We had Ebola in my hospital system. It was very scary.

I received 3 calls in the past week with work offers. I am no longer licensed so I could not even consider working in that field now.

I think whether people work or not is going to have to go forward on a case-by-case basis. In my current field, they look at underlying conditions. When I worked at the hospital, they were very inflexible about scheduling or shift hours even though I had a serious, chronic illness. I also wish you all the best of luck. I agree with rsinger, speak with your doctor. The doctor may even provide you with documentation stating you need to be off work or work in a lower risk area.

Comment

Originally posted by nursefairy View Post
            HI All,

I have not been around in a while. I am curious how other healthcare providers with MS feel about working right now. I completely understand the higher risks of those taking DMDs and/or steroids but I do not fit those categories. I am just exhausted and I worry if I am unfortunate enough to contract Covid 19, I would not be able to recover fully.
            Because there may be others with similar situations, I am looking for opinions. Do I suck it up and hope for the best or do I talk with my doc and go on a leave for now. What would you all do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you in advance!
            Thank you for the work you do. You have a difficult decision about whether to put yourself at risk or not.

I am also grateful for those in the grocery retail business. Cashiers should receive all of our gratitude as they also put themselves at risk of exposure and put up with the craziness as the hoarders descend on them.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks to all our medical first responders as you are put in a risky situation each time someone comes through the door.

I work in the OPWDD field (supporting people with developmental disabilities). We are a 24/7 operation which, even if ordered to stay home, we cannot as we are essential to providing support to human lives.

Thankfully i work in our clinic area which switched to providing telehealth during these times. Should we be ordered to work in the group homes, i will go on leave as i feel i'd be putting myself at risk being around many others with vulnerable immune systems. Not to mention i have a three year old at home.

Not sure if i'm more afraid of the virus itself or the possibility of what it could do after it leaves.

I keep saying, one hour at a time and hopefully this all vanishes quickly! Trying to be optimistic to keep the stress away (trigger).
              Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
              Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I am very dedicated to my profession and care deeply about our patients. I have the ability to physically distance myself from direct patient care but am still in a patient care area and I live in an area that has had positive cases. I am not worried so much about contracting the disease as I am trying to recover from the disease and also the stress of this whole process.
                I think we are all in the same boat and none of us really have the answers. Everyone take care, be safe and we will get through this!!
                Jodi
                "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

Many blessings and gratitude for all health care workers.

Good health, good energy, and peace of mind to all.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My daughter is a nurse in Canada. Her province currently has 17 confirmed cases. Two of them are in her small community of 12,000 people and she knows that several if the nurses at the hospital where she works have been exposed.

She is taking all the precautions she can, but she expects that most health care workers at her hospital will get COVID 19 before this is all over. In the meantime, they are doing what they can do try to flatten the curve.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      My daughter is a nurse in Canada. Her province currently has 17 confirmed cases. Two of them are in her small community of 12,000 people and she knows that several if the nurses at the hospital where she works have been exposed.

She is taking all the precautions she can, but she expects that most health care workers at her hospital will get COVID 19 before this is all over. In the meantime, they are doing what they can do try to flatten the curve.
                      Prayers for your daughter and her family, and all people working in essential businesses (healthcare, grocery, manufacturing, first responders, etc..)
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                        Prayers for your daughter and her family, and all people working in essential businesses (healthcare, grocery, manufacturing, first responders, etc..)
                        Amen to this! For all of you, or have family members, who fit this category. My daughter who does major ordering for an local organic food store, has to work or risks a loss of her job.

Keep us posted, nursefairy. Thinking of you!
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Thanks. Yes, there are so many essential businesses whose employees are affected too.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X