Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 03-12-2020

6 checked in this last week.

4 met goals, including 1 new member -- Welcome!
    1 met partial goals.
    1 didn't set goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made Goals

Hi everyone

I had a couple of days in which I was dragging (not full blown fatigue, thankfully), but I was able to accomplish my goals.

Instead of skipping my arm, leg, and back exercises on those days, I spaced them out rather than doing them one right after the other, and that worked well. I felt better and glad that I didn't give up on the exercises.

So now I have a strategy or option on the days when I'm dragging, but not totally in the throes of full blown fatigue - space out my exercises.

I'm going to keep my currrent goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Wishing good health to all, as well as peace of mind.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      I spaced them out rather than doing them one right after the other, and that worked well. I felt better and glad that I didn't give up on the exercises.

Good job KoKo, I'l file that under something I can control, something that lifts me!

Made partial goals this week:

5x week = stretching with wrist weights and pole
      2x week = 100 sit-ups each x on decline bench @ 30 degrees.
      2x week = 35 minutes mixed cardio (now sure of improved lung capacity)
      0 crunches

Monday; Trainer took long weekend at spa after feeling poorly for a week. I fared well solo @ empty gym. Worked greater majority of leg equipment than normal and some additional reps too. 2 hours plus / good day.

Tuesday; Trainer back (with vengeance) Pool day, with elastic band work added to lots of leg / pelvic / balance work. Only 2 other people in pool, then most of session just us! Nice, especially the part about not drowning.

There was no arm work this week, sigh. Dental appointment Wednesday and an eye exam Thursday (no need for cataract surgery & very minor script adjustment) took up allotted time.

On the back burner are thoughts of moving all exercise to home.... In a county about 60 miles away they closed all gyms along with a great variety of gathering places. New World.

Comment

Good job, KoKo and Jer!

On the back burner are thoughts of moving all exercise to home.... In a county about 60 miles away they closed all gyms along with a great variety of gathering places. New World.
        That sounds like a wise decision, Jer, although you will miss the pool, I'm sure! You may want to check out their policy at this time. Our YMCA has cancelled senior classes, group exercise classes, basketball games and closing treadmill, bike and elliptical to allow for adequate social distancing. Not that I attend any of these.

I made a partial goal in that I didn't make my PT goal - not sure why - laziness?

Hang in their my friends!
        But babysat twice, hosted a birthday party at home with all the prep, cleaning and tidying up -before and after.
        Took a short walk with trekking poles.

Nxt week I hope to do PT at least 3x. No excuses as babysitting suspended while they are taking a vacation.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

5x week = stretching with wrist weights and pole
          2x week = 100 sit-ups each x on decline bench @ 30 degrees.
          2x week = 35 minutes mixed cardio (now sure of improved lung capacity)
          0 crunches

Monday; Trainer took long weekend at spa after feeling poorly for a week. I fared well solo @ empty gym. Worked greater majority of leg equipment than normal and some additional reps too. 2 hours plus / good day.

Tuesday; Trainer back (with vengeance) Pool day, with elastic band work added to lots of leg / pelvic / balance work. Only 2 other people in pool, then most of session just us! Nice, especially the part about not drowning.
          It looks to me like you had a fantastic workout week, Jer!

On the back burner are thoughts of moving all exercise to home....
          There was a time that I had a home gym - treadmill, recumbent bike, resistance chair, dumbells - plus a bike that I rode regularly, weather permitting.

For me this worked out best. I could exercise when I wanted to. I didn't have to be concerned with driving in bad weather, going out in the cold or hot weather, or looking presentable for being out in the public.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            But babysat twice, hosted a birthday party at home with all the prep, cleaning and tidying up -before and after.

This looks like a pretty good workout to me, Seasha!

Comment

Made partial goals

Total steps = 9156 Avg steps = 1308 steps per day
              Exercised 6x this week:
              - Chair Yoga (1x)
              - Strong Seniors (1x)
              - Silver Sneakers (nope)
              - PT at home (2x)

Modified goals:
              1. Average of 1,600 steps per day. (Original goals were 2,000 steps per day.)
              2. Exercise at least 3 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
              - Include both some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Exercised 6x this week:
                - Chair Yoga (1x)
                - Strong Seniors (1x)
                - Silver Sneakers (nope)
                - PT at home (2x)
                Mamabug it looks like you had a terrific week with 6 X of doing some exercise! Your steps were very good as well!

Comment

...babysat twice, hosted a birthday party at home with all the prep, cleaning and tidying up -before and after.

Seasha, I have trouble with you using the word lazy.

Can not imagine hosting a birthday party whether for children, or maybe worse, for adults. I would be exhausted doing the prep and it would be necessary to do it all the day before if I was to make any attempt at being social. Clean-up would happen but only after recovery.

This counts for more than you give it credit for. Carrying on a 15 minute conversation to me is exercise. Just keeping a smile on my face can be exercise!

Having tried to find blame in what I do or fail to do, I now realize that there is NO laziness in MS.

Thanks for a reminder, weather being better and with the possibility of being isolated.... Hmm?

Comment

Include both some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).

Mamabug, KoKo is right about 6x this week getting it done!

And I like the cardio aspect. I added 5 minutes (not much) to the cardio variety and realized that over time, a truly deeper breath has improved every exercise attempted. Pretty sure Boudreaux's running boost his overall abilities.

Cardio can allowing you to add minutes here or there to a different routine.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      I had a couple of days in which I was dragging (not full blown fatigue, thankfully), but I was able to accomplish my goals.
                      Preserverance in the face of adversity! Nice job Koko.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Nice work Jer.

Comment

I made a partial goal in that I didn't make my PT goal - not sure why - laziness?
                          It's ok to be a little lazy every now and then. Just consider it rest. Good job on the partials.

Comment

Exercised 6x this week:
                            - Chair Yoga (1x)
                            - Strong Seniors (1x)
                            - Silver Sneakers (nope)
                            - PT at home (2x)
                            Not bad Mamabug. Nice work.

Comment

I made partial goals this week.

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....only got 1
                              2 three mile runs....1 three and 1 three and a half miles
                              0 out of 2 yoga sessions.

Such is life. I'm averaging 12k steps a day and putting in a few extra hours at work. I'm also playing around with the rings again, trying to get some more body weight exercises in.

Not sure what the next few weeks will bring. I'm going to avoid rolling around on the ground with sweaty people until this coronavirus settles down, so no jiu jitsu for me. Keep it going.

Comment

Working...
                              X