6 weeks Post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 weeks Post-op

I have really appreciated all of the comments and well wishes everyone has posted, Thank you to all

This Tuesday will mark 6 weeks post-op for my Total Knee Replacement(TKR). Knee bending is still improving although at a little slower pace. After surgery I was bending at 57, a functioning knee is at 115 and I am now at 116 as of last Monday. The goal is to get to 120.

I am still using the Trekking Poles just around the house. PT wants me on the walker when away from my home, the leg/knee needs a bit more strength as I am having a very small amount of buckling. The buckling is becoming less and less.

Since I am being pushed in PT and doing more with PT I am now experiencing what is normal for me trying to regain my mobility due to this disease...the need to sleep once I get home from PT, usually sleeping 3 hours...yikes! It is certainly bringing back memories from the past with this disease.

It's okay. I can push and I am okay with needing to sleep afterwards. I honestly don't know how else to be...this is just who I am and how I deal with the effects this disease has always had on my legs. I lost so much of my strength/endurance and mobility due to 3 years of the knee being in severe condition.

I have had some really severe muscle spasms/contractions, usually in the middle of the night. I am hoping the worst is over, but time will tell.

An update on my son; In my previous Thread I had mentioned he was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. There was a question if he had Type 1 or 2. It has been determined he is Type 1 (autoimmune)

He was on Metformin and Insulin, he is now on Metformin and Trulicity. Trulicity is advertised for Type 2 but his Pancreas is still able to make insulin so Trulicity is helping with that. He has been told at some point his Pancreas will stop producing Insulin and that will be the time he stops Trulicity and goes back to injecting Insulin. As a mom, this just sucks and I wish I could take the Diabetes myself and spare him.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Good to hear that you're improving, Snoopy! For 6 weeks out, it sounds like everything you are doing is working..... even sleep! A lot of healing happens while we sleep!

When I had ankle surgery a few years back, I don't think I was improving half as much as you have in that time period. But, don't try to rush it. Gradual slow recovery is the key for the long term.

Are you taking anything for the spasms during the night? Tizanidine (a muscle relaxer) might be helpful.

I hope you continue to improve and I hope the meds your son takes holds diabetes at bay for a long time. Thinking of you and sending healing energy to both of you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      ...the need to sleep once I get home from PT, usually sleeping 3 hours...yikes!
      Sleeping a lot is better than being unable to sleep. I like what Seasha says. A lot of healing happens during sleep.
      An update on my son; In my previous Thread I had mentioned he was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. There was a question if he had Type 1 or 2. It has been determined he is Type 1 (autoimmune)

He was on Metformin and Insulin, he is now on Metformin and Trulicity. Trulicity is advertised for Type 2 but his Pancreas is still able to make insulin so Trulicity is helping with that. He has been told at some point his Pancreas will stop producing Insulin and that will be the time he stops Trulicity and goes back to injecting Insulin. As a mom, this just sucks and I wish I could take the Diabetes myself and spare him.
      I'm sorry to hear about his Type I diabetes. My 2 siblings and my 26 year old nephew all have Type I diabetes; they all got it when they were in the 10-12 year old range. Yes; it's autoimmune. Autoimmune certainly does tend to run in families.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello SNOOPY!

It's great to hear from you with an update.

Wishing you continued success with PT and healing.

Wishing your son good health and success with his treatment for Type I Diabetes.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Seasha, I am using both Tizanidine and Baclofen. There have been times in the night I am woken up anywhere from 2 to 4 hours later with severe cramping and I once again need Baclofen and/or Tizanidine. My leg is either pulling up or the lower leg is jerking to the side...or both. Really painful and difficult to get under control. So far I have had 3 nights without this happening so I am hoping the worst is behind me.

Years ago I fractured my ankle and was non-weight bearing for 7 weeks, it took 2 years to regain my mobility to base line. The knee surgery has been much easier

Sleep helps in healing, this I know. The overwhelming fatigue that happens after PT is simply my MS complaining as I try to regain muscle and strength. I have gone through this process several times but it has never gotten any less frustrating

Mamabug I agree, sleeping is much better than not being able too My son was diagnosed with diabetes on his 30th Birthday on Dec. 30th. No sign of an issue before that. He did tell me after learning more about diabetes and it's symptoms he had signs of diabetes this last year in late summer/early fall.

Thank you KoKo!
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Snoopy, it's good to hear PT is working and you are improving.

I pray your son does well on his meds and I wish you both the best.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Hope it continues!
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

... fatigue that happens after PT is simply my MS complaining as I try to regain muscle and strength. I have gone through this process several times but it has never gotten any less frustrating

Hi Snoopy!

Glad to see a progress report and despite the "fustratation" involved, progress, albeit slowly is still progress.

No sign of an issue before that.

...and will pray for your son's health while facing Type 1 diabetes.

Jer

Comment

Hi Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Glad to see a progress report and despite the "fustratation" involved, progress, albeit slowly is still progress.

...and will pray for your son's health while facing Type 1 diabetes.

Jer
                  Thank you! Even with the frustration I take every step forward with gratitude.

pennstater
                  Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Hope it continues!
                  Thank you Kathy!

REG53
                  Snoopy, it's good to hear PT is working and you are improving.

I pray your son does well on his meds and I wish you both the best.
                  Thank you REG53!

I continue to update not so much for me but it could be helpful for someone who has MS and is looking at a knee replacement or something else. If my progress and/or difficulties can help someone else then that's all that matters.
                  Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I continue to update not so much for me but it could be helpful for someone who has MS and is looking at a knee replacement or something else. If my progress and/or difficulties can help someone else then that's all that matters.
                    Appreciate it! I have already been told one is in my future, just not bad enough yet. And I agree - it doesn't limit me much.
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                      Appreciate it! I have already been told one is in my future, just not bad enough yet. And I agree - it doesn't limit me much.
                      I am sorry. Just don't let it get too severe like mine was.

I finally decided it was time to call the surgeon's office and see if they had anything that would help with the spasms. They sent a prescription for Gabapentin (Neurontin). I took 300mg last night and slept spasm and pain free. Hopefully this continues.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I am sorry. Just don't let it get too severe like mine was.

I finally decided it was time to call the surgeon's office and see if they had anything that would help with the spasms. They sent a prescription for Gabapentin (Neurontin). I took 300mg last night and slept spasm and pain free. Hopefully this continues.
                        Thanks Snoopy! I definitely won't let it go. I had a mild tear of the meniscus, which led to the arthritis discovery and ortho's comment about the future. I did PT and it helped the tear,as well as the knee pain. It is mild arthritis pain that doesn't limit my walking or others efforts. Once it does, I will be back in the office!

Glad you were able to get some pain relief and sleep last night. Hope it continues.
                        Kathy

Comment

Working...
                        X