3 wheel walkers anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 wheel walkers anyone?

I have a 4 wheel rollator walker and am having a hard time with weakness folding and hoisting it up in my large trunk area. I am thinking of buying an ultra weight 3 wheeled one. I see so many types online that it gets confusing and reviews are sometimes conflicting.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Do you feel safe?
    Swivel front tire?
    Large or smaller tires?

Anything I should consider?
    Thanks, thought I'd ask here first.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    I have a 4 wheel rollator walker and am having a hard time with weakness folding and hoisting it up in my large trunk area. I am thinking of buying an ultra weight 3 wheeled one. I see so many types online that it gets confusing and reviews are sometimes conflicting.

Do you feel safe?
    Swivel front tire?
    Large or smaller tires?

Thanks, thought I'd ask here first.

I had a Drive Winnie Ultra Lite (Blue Flames color) 3-wheel rollator with black pouch.
    It weighed 9 pounds, easy to fold and lift into car, put on floor behind my driver seat.
    It was wonderful, I loved it.

Do you feel safe?

I felt very safe, but then due to increased right side weakness, I eventually had to get a 4-wheel rollator. I don't drive anymore and don't have to lift it into car.

Swivel front tire?

Yes, definitely - so you can turn.

Large or smaller tires?

I think it had 8 inch wheels (larger wheels are best - they give a better roll, easier to push over bumps, cracks, etc.)

Do you tend to lean to one side, or have really bad balance issues?

Also, mine didn't have a seat - would you need to sit often?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo - I don't think I'll need a seat - it's going to be used for when I make quick stops to the drug store, library, Dr appts, etc.

I don't lean to one side, and although my balance is not great, I think a 3 wheeler would suffice for the quick trips.

I'd also like something that was all-terrain.

Comment

I have had (have) 3, 3-wheeled rollators. My first one is now downstairs, the 2nd is going to Goodwill, and my 3rd is the best of them all. Unfortunately, I am only able to use them in the house. My balance has progressed to the point that I need a 4-wheeler when I am out and about.

Some hints:

1. Add a bag of rice to the bottom of the pouch. It will provide some stability in the center and doesn't weigh much. Mine is 4 lbs, and I sewed a fleece "shell" for the rice. Extra benny is it works great as a heating pad. 4 minutes in the microwave, and I'm good to go.

2. Get one with the basket. I thought I'd never use it, but I do every day. It is easy to remove.

3. If you can, try to find a rollator with a lined pouch. It will last much longer.

4. I bought my new one at Amazon. It was really cheap ($60 for prime), and the best constructed. Unfortunately, I think it was one of those fly-by-night storefronts that bought the rest of the discontinued models because I can't find them any more. I am great at shopping the "scratch and dent" warehouse on Amazon. I've always had good luck.

5. I also found some parachute fabric grocery bags on Amazon that I use for grocery shopping. They are incredibly lightweight, scrunch up into nothing, and hold a ton. I fill them and place them on the handles of the cart so I don't have to use a grocery cart. For a while I imagined people calling me the local "bag lady", but with MS, I do what I have to, and it works for me.

Comment

Thanks so much for your tips, ru4cats! Appreciate this. Right now my decision is on hold as I'm not venturing out these days, but I will refer back to your post when the dust settles!

Comment

Working...
          X