• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 03-05-2020

5 checked in this last week.

2 met goals.
    3 met partial goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Total steps = 11,300 Avg steps = 1614 steps per day
    Exercised 6x this week:
    - Chair Yoga (2x)
    - Strong Seniors (2x)
    - Silver Sneakers (1x)
    - PT at home (1x)

Modified goals:
    1. Average of 1,600 steps per day. (Original goals were 2,000 steps per day.)
    2. Exercise at least 3 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
    - Include both some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Nice, Faith.

Didn't set goals; didn't make goals. Finally feeling better after laying around for 10 days.
      Will slowly work my way up, but muscles (especially legs) are weak and unused, so it's an uphill challenge.

Hope everyone does well this week!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Total steps = 11,300 Avg steps = 1614 steps per day
        Exercised 6x this week:
        - Chair Yoga (2x)
        - Strong Seniors (2x)
        - Silver Sneakers (1x)
        - PT at home (1x))
        Mamabug it looks like you had a very successful week with exercises. Terrific!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Didn't set goals; didn't make goals. Finally feeling better after laying around for 10 days.
        Will slowly work my way up, but muscles (especially legs) are weak and unused, so it's an uphill challenge.
        Seasha it's great news that you are feeling better! Slowly working your way back to exercising sounds like a good and prudent plan.

My exercises went well, and I'm thankful for that.

I'm seeing some benefits from the exercises, as I perform regular daily activities (which I think Jer has also mentioned that he has experienced). I feel more strength and endurance, to be more specific.

Same goals for next week:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good health, good energy, and perseverance to all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello to everyone!

Pleased to see Mamabug @ 6x working out even if modified! Also glad you are feeling better Seasha and I know the "...but muscles (especially legs) are weak and unused" sensation. At times I have experienced this after missing just a day, then again I have missed 3-4 days and felt no loss at all?!?!

KoKo: Seeing results translate into daily activities! YES!

Different week from what I expected. Trainer out sick entire week. Regardless, I hit gym 3 times, no pool though.

Daily:

5x week @ 20 minutes ea. = stretching with wrist weights & pole

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday...

3x week = 35 minutes ea; mixed cardio.
          3x week = 100 sit-ups ea x, on decline bench @ 30 degree (0 crunches)
          Then worked lower body one day, upper body the next, and a mix on Thursday. Skipped floor exercises all together, my bad. Had some ups (cardio) & some downs (Pec deck & grip. sigh).

The best thing was an empty gym. Maybe the covid-19 scare, few people in the place during a 100 minute stay!

It was brought home to me, yet again, that I can only rely on myself. I know it was not planned as a weekly goal but that was / is the best takeaway.

Better said... I can only rely on God's will, mine, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Different week from what I expected. Trainer out sick entire week. Regardless, I hit gym 3 times, no pool though.
            Hi Jer ~ Sorry to learn that your trainer is still sick. A big 'get well soon' to Jer's trainer!

Regardless, I hit gym 3 times, no pool though.

5x week @ 20 minutes ea. = stretching with wrist weights & pole

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday...

3x week = 35 minutes ea; mixed cardio.
            3x week = 100 sit-ups ea x, on decline bench @ 30 degree (0 crunches)
            Then worked lower body one day, upper body the next, and a mix on Thursday. Skipped floor exercises all together, my bad. Had some ups (cardio) & some downs (Pec deck & grip. sigh).
            Super job working out Jer, especially without your lion tamer!

(Pec deck & grip. sigh)
            Jer, could you elaborate on this?

Better said... I can only rely on God's will, mine, not so much.
            Well said Jer.
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

As always, super job KoKo and Jer!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                could you elaborate on this?

There is a piece of equipment at the gym referred to as the Pec(toral) Deck. First you set / adjust resistance (weight).

Face outward, extending arms to sides, grasp handles with elbows locked (called fly position). You work pectoral muscles by bringing hands together in front of you.

By facing inward with same arm position in front of you, grasp handles and work deltoids by bring hands as far behind torso as is comfortable.

With me the right arm wants to contract... So, I still have some success (40 lbs) working pecs although right arm has a time with it, but the deltoid position has become pathetic. Twisting my right arm into position (thumbs down!) is hard enough.... Sustaining the grip, even with 10 lbs has become next to impossible, and very painful.

Loss of dexterity is notable... strength too! But occasionally, its not this poor.

Thanks for asking KoKo!

Comment

There is a piece of equipment at the gym referred to as the Pec(toral) Deck. First you set / adjust resistance (weight).

Face outward, extending arms to sides, grasp handles with elbows locked (called fly position). You work pectoral muscles by bringing hands together in front of you.

By facing inward with same arm position in front of you, grasp handles and work deltoids by bring hands as far behind torso as is comfortable.

With me the right arm wants to contract... So, I still have some success (40 lbs) working pecs although right arm has a time with it, but the deltoid position has become pathetic. Twisting my right arm into position (thumbs down!) is hard enough.... Sustaining the grip, even with 10 lbs has become next to impossible, and very painful.

Loss of dexterity is notable... strength too! But occasionally, its not this poor.

Thanks for asking KoKo!
                  Oh, I get it now! Thanks for the explanation.

I used to have a Nordic Fitness Chair.

It was made of wood, with upholstered back and seat. It was a resistance pulley chair. With the metal bars (with the triangular shaped pulley handles) folded down, it looked like a regular chair and doubled as a nice living room chair.

Anyways, the metal bars, with the pulley handles attached on the ends, could be put in several positions. It used isokinetic resistance. If I pulled slow, the resistance was easier. If I pulled quick/hard, there was more difficult resistance. No weights were needed.

I could work my biceps, triceps, forearms, pecs, shoulders, back, and abs, with the pulley bar put at different angles.

Unfortunately, when my right side decided to go downhill (non-stop), I couldn't use the chair any longer. It was too awkward to try to use the pulleys with only one side, and also potentially risk injury. My weak, stay open hand couldn't grab the pulley handle anymore either.

In any case, your exercise machine reminded me of this.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Unfortunately, when my right side decided to go downhill (non-stop), I couldn't use the chair any longer. It was too awkward to try to use the pulleys with only one side, and also potentially risk injury. My weak, stay open hand couldn't grab the pulley handle anymore either.

Sorry to hear that use of this chair got too dicy. It sounds like an interesting piece of equipment.

With the pec deck I can and do use one side at a time while attempting Deltoid improvement. I can put everything I've got into right arm in order to move that tiny 10 lb. plate.

I use both arms for pictorial position, but as you / others may have noticed, the "good" side will "default" to the bad sides limitations. If my left arm could move to my right side to assist it would! The human body is amazing!

Jer

Comment

With the pec deck I can and do use one side at a time while attempting Deltoid improvement. I can put everything I've got into right arm in order to move that tiny 10 lb. plate.

I use both arms for pictorial position, but as you / others may have noticed, the "good" side will "default" to the bad sides limitations.
                      If interested, you can see why balance from both sides is needed to use these resistance pulleys (scroll down for some pics of a few of the chair exercises):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...?page=9#manual

Comment

Nice job meeting your goals Mamabug.
                        Glad you are feeling better Seasha. Take it one day at a time.
                        Great work making your goals Koko.
                        You are correct Jer, no one is coming to save you, you have to make it happen.

I missed my goals but did get my two nights of Jiu Jitsu in but that was all. Keep it going y'all.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          Nice job meeting your goals Mamabug.
                          Glad you are feeling better Seasha. Take it one day at a time.
                          Great work making your goals Koko.
                          You are correct Jer, no one is coming to save you, you have to make it happen.

I missed my goals but did get my two nights of Jiu Jitsu in but that was all. Keep it going y'all.
                          Thank you for your continuous support and encouragement, Boudreaux!

Glad you were able to get two nights of Jiu Jitsu in!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Boudreaux, thanks for the uplifting comments. Two nights on the mats doing something you enjoy, sounds good to me! Hope you can get out & back running this week.

KoKo, I looked at the chair, and some of the manual. Understand your comment that it looks like a simple, nice piece of furniture! And I noted the comments regarding muscle balance. Sad that we are forced into improvisational routines. If we keep in mind the ROM aspect and not concern ourselves as much with strength... well that something right?

I guess MS may well take the ROM entirely too, but not without a fight.

Comment

If we keep in mind the ROM aspect and not concern ourselves as much with strength... well that something right?

I guess MS may well take the ROM entirely too, but not without a fight.
                              You got that right! (on both comments)

We can only strengthen/build up the muscles that are receiving proper nerve signals.

With the muscles affected by impaired nerve function, maintaining some muscle tone is the goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X