Disability file vs. brief summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability file vs. brief summary

When the Social Security caseworker turns your file over to the person who makes the actual Disability determination, do they send the whole file or just a summary of their interpretation of the facts?

I'm asking because my caseworker keeps arguing with me about my responses and seems to be trying to rewrite the answers I entered on the government forms.

Nora,

Several people will touch your file at the Administrative level. Assuming you mean the caseworker at DDS (disability determination services), and the person 'actually making the decision' is the medical expert reviewing the file, then yes, the caseworker will be able to review the file in its entirety.

If you believe that statements are being misinterpreted, you can send a written statement clarifying the confusion to the caseworker. Tread carefully, however, as it can be harmful to pick a fight without good cause at this level.

-Jamie
    Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

This is just the guy at our local SS office, the same one who's been yanking me around from the beginning. Don't worry; I have no intention of having any more contact with him than absolutely necessary.

I just don't understand his continuous arguments when my verbal statements match my previous written ones. Over the last 5 years, I had 3 very different jobs (for different companies) that just happened to have the same very common title. During yesterday's phone call he kept insisting that he "knew" the jobs were identical and that I'd listed the duties incorrectly. Is this normal at this stage of the game? I've already had the SS-required psych evaluation, and I passed (or, for our purposes, failed) their physical with flying colors. How many more petty details need to be examined before he passes my file on to the next level for a determination? The stress of dealing with this is worse than any issues I've had with my MS.

Comment

Working...
      X