Can you help me explain this to my son?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help me explain this to my son?

My son just can't understand why I have not been able to drive any further than our little town. I've never really tried to explain it to him, so part of this is my fault. But I just don't have the right words to get it across to him

I think part of his misunderstanding comes from the "you look good" attitude. I pretty much fight my way through the days without complaining (much) and just do what I can on my own. Stubborn little Italian here. I don't think my kids have any idea about what I do during the day and how exhausting it all becomes. We just push through. Guess I try to protect them from this at times.

I don't feel like I have the flu, as some people describe it. But, I feel like every one of my functions is off and misfiring. Like nothing is working right. And I do consider myself to be fairly "healthy" most of the time. So, I'm giving them mixed messages.

Anyway, if you've ever had to try to make anyone close to you understand the "pits" of MS let me know what you said or did to make it happen. Thanks again friends.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I get it Marti! I can only drive about 45 miles from home anymore and that is using the same roads that I'm familiar with with less traffic. My problem stems mainly from slow processing speed. When I feel fatigued I simply don't drive. Reading the below article will give you some talking points to have with your son.

Interesting - from Web MD

"Sometimes you’ll notice when your MS symptoms affect your driving, like you can’t move your foot from the gas pedal to the brake quickly. But other symptoms aren’t so obvious. Your brain may become less able to process what you’re seeing so you can react to it. You might have minor accidents like bumping into things when you park, or you might feel lost driving down familiar streets. Some people with MS aren’t aware that their driving has changed until a loved one points it out to them."

An even better read from the NMSS - https://www.nationalmssociety.org/na...-sclerosis.pdf

It's a lengthy brochure, but read the part about "Ways in which MS symptoms may affect your driving ability and safety"

Staying safe on the road is most important for you and other drivers on the road!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I found this report and posted it to my son on Facebook. He responded that he was sorry and that MS sucks! So, I guess I got through to him. He's really always been caring and sympathetic. I just couldn't make him understand that no amount of exercise or activity would "cure" this problem.

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living...YYpE4zCJZ94nEI
      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        ...if you've ever had to try to make anyone close to you understand the "pits" of MS let me know what you said or did to make it happen. Thanks again friends.

Hi Marti, I was going to attempt a response, although I have no one really close to me, but then decided to read the responses.

Seasha gave a great response and excellent links. Thanks Seasha.

And I realize that no amount of exercise would cure MS, but it may give you an more excepting frame of mind.

Comment

I found this report and posted it to my son on Facebook. He responded that he was sorry and that MS sucks! So, I guess I got through to him. He's really always been caring and sympathetic. I just couldn't make him understand that no amount of exercise or activity would "cure" this problem.

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living...YYpE4zCJZ94nEI
          Good news for you, Marti and so glad he got an inkling of what it's like.
          I had forgotten about this article.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

For me, I mostly don't drive anywhere out of town anymore. My reason is anxiety.

I've never liked to drive and, when I combine that with MS making even "normal" situations feel more stressful, it's just a personal decision I've made.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              For me, I mostly don't drive anywhere out of town anymore. My reason is anxiety.

I've never liked to drive and, when I combine that with MS making even "normal" situations feel more stressful, it's just a personal decision I've made.

Mama part of my reluctance to drive much is anxiety too. At first it was the unrelenting dizziness. That caused more anxiety and round and round! I was dizzy for about 3 straight years.. non stop. Seems that after Sam passed some things went back to "normal" or as "normal" as they could be.
              Marti

Comment

Mama part of my reluctance to drive much is anxiety too.
                Yeah. I don't like that symptom.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I started having times when the fatigue would hit and I didn’t feel safe. There have been several other episodes when I have been stranded in some form or other. My right hand is becoming so paralyzed that I cannot turn on the ignition so no more driving for me.

Still have a license and a car and 50 years of experience driving in Los Angeles under my belt so if the sky was falling I could still get in my car and go.

Comment

Working...
                  X