Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my understanding about Covid-19 testing.

All of the states have tests (the ability to test has always been available by oral swabbing and sending to CDC labs, but now states can test and get results sooner from in-state labs.)

The states determine the protocol for testing.

For example, in Ohio, those tested are:

*Anyone with symptoms who has been to an area with an active outbreak

*Those with symptoms who had come into contact with someone with a positive diagnosis for COVID-19

*Those with symptoms not attributed to another illness.

Myoak, are you wanting every person in the US to be tested?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

As someone who is probably high risk now, I do worry some.

Two neighboring townships have positive cases for 3 people. One originating from travel and then a member of the household, and a separate case that may be community spread.

I personally can't understand why everyone wasn't tested at that nursing home in WA, as well as people on the cruise ships prior to disembarking so positive cases could be contained separately from those fortunate to be negative. It may help some spread.

That being said, I take comfort that these people are now being tested, and more tests are now available. Also that the major commercial players are now involved. It seems to be moving in the right direction.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

From the CDC - a US map showing all the states have current testing - Guam, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands show the testing in progress. The map will be updated regularly at noon Monday - Friday

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ing-in-us.html
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          As someone who is probably high risk now, I do worry some.

Two neighboring townships have positive cases for 3 people. One originating from travel and then a member of the household, and a separate case that may be community spread.

I personally can't understand why everyone wasn't tested at that nursing home in WA, as well as people on the cruise ships prior to disembarking so positive cases could be contained separately from those fortunate to be negative. It may help some spread.

That being said, I take comfort that these people are now being tested, and more tests are now available. Also that the major commercial players are now involved. It seems to be moving in the right direction.
          Very well said, thank you, Kathy!

I would add that the mayor of Seattle, Jenny Durkin, was interviewed today, I listened as she spoke about local officials' plans for testing now that kits are finally arriving and local labs are developing testing capabilities, also. Officials plan on aggressively testing in order to gather data and target response. Mayor Durkin stated that epidemiologists in the Seattle area told her that based on the very limited data available, their projection was that 64,000 people in Seattle would become infected by COVID-19.

Durkin said the accuracy of that projection would be determined by the amount and quality of the data used to formulate it. Therefore, she promised widespread testing will take place immediately to gather usable data and respond to it in as timely a manner as possible. I do wish, nationally, that mindset had been prevalent from the get-go.

Folks, let's think about something a minute.

American Hospital Association data: According to the AHA 2015 annual survey, the United States had 4862 acute care registered hospitals; 2814 of these had at least 10 acute care beds and at least 1 ICU bed. These hospitals had a total of 540,668 staffed beds and 94,837 ICU beds.

So, we have about 100,000 ICU beds and they are not all empty. In fact, many, if not most are occupied. Mayor Durkin believes that additional capacity will be needed in the Seattle area and based on the ICU cases in China, she believes a great deal of preparation is necessary. Also, she expects the Seattle area will need nurses from other parts of the US.

It is not difficult to understand things could get out of control quickly if other areas have similar outbreaks, as some notable experts predict. Recall Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch, who said that "40 to 70 percent of the world's population could get COVID-19 based on the mathematical models that we use to track and predict epidemics."

In order to intervene in that equation and respond so we don't experience that sort of pandemic, we need good data to guide our response. If present data is insufficient, we must develop it.

A great place to start could have been by testing more than 46 people on the Grand Princess while they were sitting there doing nothing for days. To me, not testing those 3400 was the height of irresponsibility because of the time it is going to take to test, get results, and begin projecting what preparations are prudent and making those preparations. To me, we got behind and for no comprehensible reason. JMHO.

Yet, I remain optimistic because I believe in the goodness and ability of the American people. I believe now that testing is being managed by local authorities it will be done very aggressively. Local communities simply must know what they are facing in order to respond coherently. Extensive testing and only extensive testing will provide the data which informs what capabilities must be developed to best protect citizens.

Koko, my friend, no one is arguing to test each person but we do need representative sampling, not once but continuously from the first moments we are able. Lives can be saved through timely appropriate preparations. Conversely, lives can be lost, if we lack them.

Public safety measures can be sudden and dramatic anywhere, including the US. China built a 1000 bed coronavirus hospital in 10 days. Washington state has purchased a hotel for quarantine use. Two of my not-so-prudent neighbors just returned from Venice, Italy where an outbreak of COVID-19 is now occurring. They were told and believed the virus situation was "under control". Now they are sitting at home under quarantine having gotten out of Italy before the borders closed. They have not yet been tested, oddly enough!

I cannot help but think additional areas outside the 3 presently affected will require emergency measures that may become quite burdensome to society as a whole, and onerous individually, also.

May we be prudent in preparations and supportive of each other. As Bette Davis said... it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I pray each one of us will feel safe, secure, and loved as we face this situation together.

Comment

New Mexico now has cases...

Well, New Mexico now has 4 cases....was 3 this morning, but now it's 4. We were one of the last few states it had not hit. Our governor has declared a State of Emergency, said not to go to gatherings, not to go to churches, etc etc. She said people should not hoard things, no reason to hoard toilet paper. I ordered tp on-line, it went through, then I received an email from Costco that the order was cancelled as they were out of stock.

Tom Hanks and his wife are in Australia and both tested positive for the virus, the NBA has postponed games since a player has tested positive.

On a positive, I sat on our porch swing and two robins showed up (spring is here!)--another positive: I am grateful for this site and the information. Thank you.
            Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              From the CDC - a US map showing all the states have current testing - Guam, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands show the testing in progress. The map will be updated regularly at noon Monday - Friday

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ing-in-us.html
              Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, it is discomforting to see how limited testing is in real numbers compared to other countries like South Korea.

About a week ago South Korea began fast food style drive through coronavirus testing and now 3 states in the US, Colorado, Connecticut, and Washington have announced similar plans.

Lacking a US national plan for diagnostic testing to discover how widespread the virus has become, states are planning and working to find out if there are cases in local areas where we live. But experts say the window for containing the virus is rapidly closing.

A lot of testing would provide a lot of knowledge about the degree of safety or danger there is in our respective local communities.

To me, it seems strange that less developed countries, like South Korea have quickly developed capabilities that far exceed our own and those capabilities are reflected by the numbers of people they test while we comfort ourselves in the millions of kits available.

Are we fiddling while Rome burns? Do we even know if its on fire? Could we not have guessed so based on the example of other countries?

Until and unless learning the extent of infection by extensive testing gets worked out and occurs, it seems prudent for the elderly and others most vulnerable to assume there are probably cases in most local areas, already. I trust everyone understands this knowledge is a matter of life and death to the vulnerable.

The CDC map is wonderful but what it shows to me is a lack of testing compared to South Korea.

Comment

I wanted to follow this thread as there has been a confirmed case in my county. I am one who is not currently panicking and unsure if i should be.

I take this virus serious however at the same time i think it is impossible to quarantine everyone and stop the virus in it's tracks!

Hopefully this diminishes soon as i feel the panic is causing more troubles then the virus. Yes, it's not good, but i am seeing people's mental health from anxiety go sky high. People crying thinking they will get it, their kids will get it. I sit here, more vulnerable and higher risk should i get it, just watching the uproar thinking how much money pharmaceutical companies are going to make from anti anxiety and anti depressants during all this. One confirmed case (the person self quarantined) and everything is shutting down. People are shutting down which means immune systems will go down which makes people more prone to it.

maybe i'm just being too hopeful though!
                Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Colorado Drive-Up covid-19 testing

The State of Colorado has drive-up covid-19 testing:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...free-of-charge
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    The State of Colorado has drive-up covid-19 testing:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...free-of-charge
                    That is great. It is what helped South Korea. I think part of what makes the USA so wonderful is the states and the autonomy they have, but at times like this, better communication nationally and standards would help. Hopefully we do a lessons learned for the next pandemic.

Here in PA, I am in the county that now has 13 cases, more than half of the state's cases. For our county, the governor just closed all schools, gyms, athletics,social outings,etc for 2 weeks. They asked non essential businesses to close voluntarily, while asking pharmacies, supermarkets, and health offices to remain open. Even asking people to cancel family get togethers! They will keep reevaluating other counties, and extend timeline if needed.

My poor nieces' junior prom was cancelled, and another niece's senior semester has now been relegated to remote. Sad that her last semester with friends ended so abruptly. They were even advised not to hug good-bye.

While listening to our governor, I received an email from our church that a parent of a daycare child tested positive. While not a parishioner, other families are, as well as teachers.

I keep telling myself still low risk, but little nerve wracking. Long story, I have had a dry cough since end of December and breathing issues from the cough. X-rays, cat scan, and other tests, now on my 5th Rx to try to kill it - this time, trying to dull the nerve response. They have allowed me to continue on Tysabri. So how would I know if I get covid-19? I guess if I get fever or breathing problems not a result of coughing? Been loading up on anti-inflammatory foods.

Anyway, I have been laying low except grocery run, pharmacy run, medical appointments, and church. I do try to get out and walk each day, but solo. Hands are so dry from all the washing and sanitizer!!

Best wishes to all. Try to not be glued into the news round the clock. Do things that help you relax: exercise, read a book, listen to music, work on a hobby, meditate! Take the time to tune out.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Our Washington state governor, Jay Inslee, had just issued that all schools K-12 will close for the 3 major counties in and around the epicenter. Colleges and Universities will offer online classes after spring break.

Our county north of there has 1 reported case of covid-19 a couple of days ago. The advise given is there should be no gathering of over 10-50 people. My husband and I were to attend an MS seminar on Saturday but it has been cancelled along with many other events.

I'm thankful that this is being taking seriously. Not panicking but planning! We are stocking up on food tomorrow and laying low for awhile. We usually stock up on food anyway since we live in a remote area far from town. No babysitting for my granddaughter as well - they are taking vacation time, so that works out well.

Be safe everyone! Thinking of you all
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                        Our Washington state governor, Jay Inslee, had just issued that all schools K-12 will close for the 3 major counties in and around the epicenter. Colleges and Universities will offer online classes after spring break.

Our county north of there has 1 reported case of covid-19 a couple of days ago. The advise given is there should be no gathering of over 10-50 people. My husband and I were to attend an MS seminar on Saturday but it has been cancelled along with many other events.

I'm thankful that this is being taking seriously. Not panicking but planning! We are stocking up on food tomorrow and laying low for awhile. We usually stock up on food anyway since we live in a remote area far from town. No babysitting for my granddaughter as well - they are taking vacation time, so that works out well.

Be safe everyone! Thinking of you all
                        Ohio schools K-12 are also being closed for at least 3 weeks, and there are other various cancellations too.

I think it's a good idea as well.

Comment

The cascade of events are evolving rapidly around here as well.

Had our state's first two confirmed cases Tuesday, followed by ten more announced last night.

Our state's first two cases confirmed were on Tuesday, a man and woman (from different counties), both in my area. Just learned last night 10 more cases confirmed for a total of 12.

Because of privacy and HIPAA laws, not much needs to be revealed about their location, other than except county they tested positive in. Location of treatment does not have to be disclosed. Understand, but leaves us of wondering how close they've been to us.

One of first two case's hospital location was confirmed, and later an elementary school was closed as a teacher had recent contact with him. Not too hard to figure out which city that person is from with that info.
                          Not a neighboring county, but in suburban metro area. Mayor of another city nearby confirmed one of the new 10 cases lives there.

The 2nd confirmed case is in an adjoining county to mine, literally across the street from my neighborhood. So practically in my front yard. No info has come out to give a clue which city she is from or hospital being treated at. Might be the one right next door. . Another 2 in same adjoining county just added to the list Thursday.

Wednesday colleges and universities cancelled face-to-face classes and will be transitioning to on-line, affecting both of my children. My son's school (although in western NY) until the end of the semester in May, daughter's still TBD.

Governor held press conference at 11 pm Thursday night announcing the 10 new cases and that all Michigan K-12 schools ordered closed beginning Monday through April 6.

Husband had his performance review at work. Got an excellent review. Great! Oh wait, heard earlier this week no raises this year thanks to what's happening to the economy.

Will be grateful he hopefully remains employed! No doubt there will more company cost saving measures to come. Told last week everyone needed to be prepared to work from home. Expect that will happen starting Monday.

Husband ordered items from the grocery store yesterday morning, told order would be delivered today as stock was to replenished by then. Still stopped there because forgot to order something, saw shelves completely bare. The huge parking lot at another new grocery store right by us has been completely full every day for the past several days, busy as a zoo for past few weeks. Panic buying as if the end of world. Scary crazy!

My son is coming home for his planned school break next week this weekend (because also a TA, will be going back). Last time he was home for the holidays we all caught the flu. Now this! I know he'd planned to do some "fun" things this time around. He begins his internship in another state for the summer right after the semester ends.

One included plans to celebrate my husband's birthday in a German tourist town not far from here. Well, now we're not sure we should go. Want to be smart, but not live in a bubble if don't have to. It isn't that busy if going this time of year, especially since Easter is not until April 12. Who knows with everything going on if the places we usually go will even be open

Saw this is closing the "happiest place on Earth" - Disney World and Disney Land theme parks for the next month. Very wise, but sad too.

Have an appt next week with my MS Specialist at a downtown university hospital. I cancelled my early January appointment, so did need to go to this one. Under normal circumstances, appointment bookings are 8 - 12 weeks out. Looking at mid May earliest to reschedule.

Could be a problem for my next Ocrevus infusion, if agreed upon and numbers are OK. I have a feeling there will be a lot of cancelled appointments with requests for new ones.

New protocols being set up for hospitals. "Limit visitors to only those who are absolutely necessary and implement screening of visitors for temperature and respiratory symptoms."

Great. But sure don't want to catch anything if I go.

Quote from Governor Whitmer of Michigan Tuesday's press conference regarding state's mitigation strategy:

"Take care of others ...

We must have one another's back ... easy things to mitigate community spread ...

Take those recommendations seriously. Even if you are healthy and asymptomatic you can unknowingly be carrying and spreading this disease. Assume that you are and take those precautions.

Do it for your yourself, your loved ones, co workers , public at large. and when you think about the asthmatic child,* the 30 year old woman with MS, and the grandfather with COPD. Don't put yourself or them at risk."

It's definitely surreal ...

What a week. Do hope this flattens the curve.

Oh yeah, it's Friday the 13th today, too.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Take good care, everyone.
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Lock Down Italy

As I said previously I live in Italy. I was going about my regular activities cautiously. In my neighborhood in Rome people are following the rules for the countries lock down. Everything is closed except some grocery stores and pharmacies. Our cat was in the hospital for 2 weeks due to kidney failure but my husband was permitted to get her yesterday. I am grateful to see people taking this seriously. Only a few people at a time allowed in the stores and they have the area where you line up to pay marked with tape so people stay a meter apart.

My husband and I are OK. I hope everyone there stays well.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your recent sharing on how this is affecting you personally. It was especially interesting to hear from you, Loopey, to hear about life in Italy.

My daughter and her family were planning to visit us in Kansas from Canada beginning in March 22. I believe they are rethinking that.
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                                As I said previously I live in Italy. I was going about my regular activities cautiously. In my neighborhood in Rome people are following the rules for the countries lock down. Everything is closed except some grocery stores and pharmacies. Our cat was in the hospital for 2 weeks due to kidney failure but my husband was permitted to get her yesterday. I am grateful to see people taking this seriously. Only a few people at a time allowed in the stores and they have the area where you line up to pay marked with tape so people stay a meter apart.

My husband and I are OK. I hope everyone there stays well.
                                I lived in Italy for almost 6 years and my daughter lives in northern Italy now. I believe the reason this situation is worse in Italy is because of several factors about how they live. There are typically several generations and multiple families living in close proximity and they have large family meals. They typically go to town to shop and have a coffee and visit daily or several times a day and when the meet, the greeting is a kiss on both cheeks. Add this to a large aging population (very low birth rate fewer younger people by %) and you have the perfect storm for spreading this virus. My daughter is struggling to survive right now, but at least the local pizzaria is delivering! Unfortunately they are reporting that the socialized medical system in Italy is struggling with doctors having to decide which patients receive care and which are going to be left to die. Scarey to think about!

Comment

Working...
                                X