This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myoak
    I started this thread to encourage PwMS to begin thinking about what measures they might take should COVID-19 spread to their area. My guess is that each MS center is in the process of developing guidelines in case COVID-19 becomes a problem in their area.
    Thank you for that. You have provided food for thought and the reasoning behind it.

Originally posted by Myoak
    But separate from that is the question of what we do in our own homes and daily lives. We must not panic. The need is to continue learning, keep abreast of daily news to inform us of changes and facts as they dribble out...

...In any case this epidemic is still evolving, it is prudent to stay abreast as best we can and adjust if we must.
    Yes, Myoak, totally agree!

Will add panic disrupts logical thinking. For example, don't understand why people are buying as much bottled water as they can? Our water sources won't be affected by the virus.

Unless maybe they have a problem with their plumbing from all the toilet paper they used.

Originally posted by KoKo
    US government agencies CDC, NIH, HHS, FDA are working very hard on the COVID-19 situation.

They are coordinating and sharing info with the best health experts worldwide, with our state and local agencies, with transportation, health care facilities, and private sector business.

There have been daily briefings with updates on the situation. More testing kits are being manufactured and distributed.

You can get more info by going to the websites of the agencies mentioned above.

Take Care
    An additional resource is your state's Department of Health and Human Services website.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

This is from the National MS Society:

What You Need to Know about Coronavirus

February 27, 2020

UPDATED March 3, 2020

What is the coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)?

Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. At this time, it’s unclear how easily the virus that causes COVID-19 is spreading between people.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Most people who contract COVID-19 will have mild symptoms, but some people will have more severe symptoms. Symptoms can include:

• fever
      • cough
      • difficulty breathing (shortness of breath)

How can I help protect myself and others?

There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses.

These include

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.

• Avoid close contact (at least 3 feet away) with people who are sick.

• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

• Cover your cough or sneeze with a flexed elbow or tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Stay home and contact your primary care provider if you develop symptoms, have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19, or if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l#geographic).

What does COVID-19 mean for people living with MS?

Many disease modifying therapies (DMTs) for MS work by modifying or suppressing the immune system. People with MS who are treated with these therapies can face an increased risk of infections.

-If you are taking a DMT and have concerns about your risk for COVID-19, do not stop your DMT without first speaking with your MS provider.

-If you have been in close contact with a person known to have COVOD-19 or believe you have otherwise been exposed to COVID-19 or are confirmed to have this infection, stay home and contact your MS and primary care providers for advice right away.

-Call your MS and Primary Care provider if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.

Other resources

Center for Disease Control and Prevention
      https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

World Health Organization
      https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

MS International Federation
      https://www.msif.org/news/2020/02/10...-need-to-know/

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...ut-Coronavirus
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Last week there were questions asked to the Combat MS Team in reference to the coronavirus. Anna Fogdell Hahn has provided some answers to the questions asked. They were answered by Anders Svenningsson with The Karolinska Institute. As the study is based in Sweden many of the responses are in reference to Europe.

Q&A: Coronavirus infection and immunomodulatory treatments in MS
        Anders Svenningsson (ASV): Some initial comments on this topic that will be repeated in some answers but are the most important messages on this topic:

1. No MS medication makes it easier to become infected by coronavirus. It is only when someone has become infected that some immunosuppressive treatment might be a risk for a more severe course of the infection. Therefore, being alert about what areas travel should be avoided and being sensible about hand hygiene (see below) will take care of at least 99.9% of the risk of contracting a severe infection. The overall risk to become infected as for now is extremely low in Sweden if behaving correctly.

2. The immune defense for infections is a teamwork of many players where each player is important but usually other players can make up for the loss of others. One (maybe the most important) player is unaffected by MS treatments and that is the mucosa immunity which is first-line defense to reduce the overall load of virus that gets into the body if exposed. If exposed and infected, other immediate systems kick in and as the third line of defense lymphocytes, which mainly are affected by MS medications, will start to work. If getting that far, however, these medications may make it more difficult for the body to clear the infection and the course may be longer and more severe than otherwise.

3. The majority of infected individuals (about 80%) has a mild disease like a common upper airway infection. Mortality is now reported to be 0-3.6% with a much higher risk for people above 70 years of age and specifically individuals that have heart and/or lung disorders. For younger otherwise healthy individuals the mortality appears to be far lower than 0.5%. As otherwise healthy individuals with MS and immunosuppressive treatment (see below for how I “grade” them), overall risk is probably much lower for life-threatening infection than “ordinary” older people. The higher risk of more severe disease seen in men in China could be an influence of smoking, since over 50% of the men are smokers, but nearly none of the women.
        The variation in death rates vary a lot between countries and at this point in time it is hard to calculate the number of people actually infected (for that we will need a validated serology test):
        Globally: 93 000 infected, 3200 dead, estimated death rate 3.4%
        China: 80 000 infected, 2900 dead, estimated death rate 3.6%
        South Korea: 5500 infected, 28 dead, estimated death rate 0.5%
        Italy: 3089 infected, 77 dead, estimated death rate 2.4%
        Japan: 290 infected, 6 dead, estimated death rate 2.0%
        Germany: 240 infected, 0 dead, estimated death rate 0%
        Sweden: 52 infected, 0 dead, estimated death rate 0%
        4. It is difficult to say anything for sure about how MS treatments might affect the disease course with coronavirus infections, since it is a new infection and we know that some agents are COMBATed (!) more by T cells and some more by B cells. Below is a very personal guess of how I would grade the different MS medications; if no risk at all or if we don´t know.
        1. Autologous Hematologic Stem Cell Transplantation. In the immediate phase after cytotoxic therapy one needs to be isolated at hospital anyway but the first months at home after transplantation is also a high-risk period. Stay away from all possible sources of infection!
        2. Lemtrada depletes both T- and B cells more or less completely initially. During that phase (a couple to several months), infection by a new agent should be considered very dangerous and should be avoided at any cost. When total lymphocytes start to return in blood and reaches levels above 0.5, I would assume that an infection with coronavirus will be handled quite well.
        3. B-cell depleting therapies (rituximab and ocrelizumab) affects the capacity to build a strong immune response against a new infection or agent. This may result in infections taking longer to clear. It is entirely unclear if this also translates into a worse severity. However, it is important to say that we still lack information on how different factors may affect the course of coronavirus infections.
        4. Agents that reduce T-cell numbers and function (fingolimod, cladribine, sometimes dimethyl fumarate, teriflunomide) may affect the capacity to create a strong immune response, but in general responses to vaccinations are pretty good. There seem to be slightly decreased T-cell activity, which increase the risk for herpesviruses, but not so clearly for different respiratory viruses. Also, here it is important to state that we don’t yet know the effect on a coronavirus of these treatments.
        5. Natalizumab is in my opinion unlikely to confer a strong risk for an aggravated course or an infection with coronavirus.
        6. Interferons and glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) is most likely no risk at all in this context
        1. How likely is it that those treated with rituximab will be infected by coronavirus?
        ASV: Most likely no increased risk at all to GET the infection. The primary defense lines for infections are the mucous membranes and they will remain completely intact also when on rituximab treatment. So taking the right precautions to avoid infections is the primary strategy as for everybody else. Most important is hand hygiene with hand washing, alcohol gels regularly of the hand, no touching of face, eyes and mouth with you hand unless you have washed them and/or used alcohol gels on them.
        2. What are the odds to survive corona if you have depleted all your B cells? Is it even a fair chance?
        ASV: Mortality is now reported to be 0-3.6% out of which the vast majority are elderly people above 70 years old with concomitant heart and/or lung disease. Mortality for younger individuals are less than 0.5%. With almost 100 000 patients infected worldwide there are still no reports on how drugs such as B cell depleting drugs affect the disease course, even if they are quite frequently used. Of course, this is not proof that these drugs don´t affect the risk at all and it is good to be prudent and follow the directions from authorities of where not to go, try to keep away from “sneezers” and “coughers” and practice good hand hygiene. Then you will avoid infections at all.
        As far as known there is NO risk to get infected from parcels of envelops coming in mail etc. Most cases infected have been from within the family.

3. Is there any special risk with natalizumab (Tysabri)?
        ASV: Unlikely to affect risk.

4. I am changing from Dimetylfumarat (Tecfidera) to rituximab (Mabthera), does this increase my risk of having a more severe infection?
        ASV: As you can see on my list above, I grade rituximab in this case giving an effect on the immune system that can make it more difficult than DMF to clear an infection if it passes the initial defense of the mucous membranes.

5. Is there any B-cell count value that could indicate if you have a higher risk or not (reference value)?
        ASV: Hematologist use the value 20 cells per ul (0.02 x 109 per L) when they expect a vaccine to work so that value could be some kind of round figure in this context. But we still don´t know how important the B cell response is for this particular infection.

6. Is there any special treatment/precaution we should ask for by the health care in case we do get the infection? Any special treatments we need to have as soon as we arrive at the hospital just because we are on immunomodulatory treatments and have MS?
        ASV: Cannot think of any.

7. Should one postpone planned rituximab treatment until we know how severe the pandemic becomes?
        ASV: From all we know the excellent effect of rituximab will last long after somebody has started to get B cells back, we basically see no recurrence of disease also with a 1-year interval. For most individuals the disease is probably in remission for up to several years after having had a couple of rituximab infusions. So from that knowledge it is not a bad idea to postpone the next treatment another 6 months, maybe infusion interval can be increased for most patients. However, I again want to reiterate that you all have the greatest power yourself to reduce the total risk by being sensible and that way avoid infection altogether.

8. Can one replace the B cells in case it is needed by receiving blood or plasma?
        ASV: This would be like a transplantation of bone marrow, which requires additional immunosuppression and thus probably not very helpful.

9. How is it with traveling by train through Sweden? Any higher risk?
        ASV: Overall extremely low risk at this point.

10. I have a daughter with rituximab treatment who are going to school, but I am worried that there are going to be children there returning from abroad this week who might carry the virus without showing any symptoms. What do I do?
        ASV: Just follow regular recommendations and the risk of getting infected in school should be minimal. I am sure that all schools give recommendations that pupils that has been travelling in countries with coronavirus should be alert to any sign of infection and in that case stay at home. That has to be trusted. As for now, reports claim no secondary case transmitted from children and also extremely low risk of transmitting the infection without symptoms.

11. Do I dare to go to Italy?
        ASV: I wouldn’t recommend that now. Regarding reimbursement of travels you already booked, you should discuss this with your neurologist.

12. Do I cancel any traveling, or can I go if I postpone the next infusion of rituximab? If my B-cell count is still on zero?
        ASV: Depends on where you are going. If yet no case, there risk is minimal. On airports, just stay away from big crowds and sneezers and coughers. Use diligent hand hygiene. Don’t pay attention to B-cell count in this case but rather if the journey may be a risk for infection by anyone.

13. How about treatment with Mavenclad?
        ASV: Don’t get infected immediately after the courses when lymphocytes are low. Somewhere 2 – 3 months after dose, the lymphocytes for most individuals are getting above 0.5 and risk of very serious infection drops.

“Final words” = most important!
        MS treatments do not increase risk of becoming infected in the first place so with the following simple measures an infection can be avoided with more than 99.9 % certainty, so focus on that:
        1. Stay as healthy as possible = eat healthy, sleep well and don’t stress too much. This increase the resistance against all infections and is your best “insurance” for avoiding all kinds of infections, including coronavirus.
        2. Do not travel to high-risk areas with lots of cases
        3. Diligent hand hygiene including frequent washing, alcogels and NOT fiddle with your hands in eyes and mouth! You can skip shaking hands (use Japanese style greeting – its elegant I think…).
        4. Spot coughers and sneezers and sneak away
        5. Read official recommendations from authorities and follow them
        - No symptoms = no (or extremely low) risk for transmitting disease
        - Children appear to confer very low risk of transmitting coronavirus as it looks right now.
        6. To keep updated with the latest information and high-risk areas for travel, refer to the WHO and your national CDC/health organization websites.
        https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ronavirus-2019

Comment

Info Overload

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
          I am not a medical professional. I am a fairly intelligent guy with a nasty case of MS. I suggest people not panic. Ocrevus has been very good for me. I'm not messing with it. I'm more worried about the flu. I'm taking my usual precautions. Best advice: turn off the TV. There's a lot of media frenzy going on. Remember the old media adage: if it bleeds it leads. Take care of yourself, exercise reasonable precautions, and don't panic. You'll be fine.
          Hi everyone. I am not a medical professional either, and I agree with Brad. My neighbor who is a nurse said that there is concern of people getting overloaded with opinion shows, news "specials", etc etc. and she said that some of the information on most of the shows are incorrect or don't give the full information and is just scaring people. I'm not a fan of WHO (World Health Organization), but I think the info on the CDC site is good to check. The info from most doctors is the basic: wash hands well, don't wear masks (unless you have a cough), stay home if not feeling well, etc. Take care, stock up on lotion for dry/chapped hands from washing, make sure to watch something with laughs (Seinfeld and The Office fan here). Clear info is important, yes....just don't overload...we sure don't need added stress!
          Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Clear info is important, yes....just don't overload...we sure don't need added stress!
            A site I appreciate much for accuracy and simplicity is linked below. Its easy to understand why it has had over 1 billion hits in last couple of weeks. The data is updated automatically every 15 minutes from China and most countries except the US and Canada which must be manually entered daily thanks to byzantine idea of political leadership bottle necking the flow of data.

I, along with a billion others, find this site valuable because the data is accurate and usable. For instance, I clicked on it, enlarged the map and found a case of COVID-19 near Rome, Georgia. That knowledge allows me to alert a loved one living near there who has MS to be aware of that case and be especially vigilant.

Here is the link...

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

I appreciated Marco's post because "God is in the details" as someone once famously said. But I also understand the need not to be overwhelmed with too much info.

Comment

I can't thank everyone enough for the good information. I'm on Ocrevus so I am concerned.

Myoak thank you for the link. I just found a case in a county that borders mine. I am not panicked
              but I am concerned.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                I can't thank everyone enough for the good information. I'm on Ocrevus so I am concerned.

Myoak thank you for the link. I just found a case in a county that borders mine. I am not panicked
                but I am concerned.
                The good news for those on Ocrevus is that a study demonstrated those who discontinued taking it showed no more MS activity after 18 months than those who continued receiving infusions every 6 months. Not having to be around other people by travel and infusion may be beneficial to say nothing of financial savings. But each person on a DMT will have to work out changes, if any, with their neuro regarding COVID-19.

To me, COVID-19 is something like a seasonal flu, only worse because seasonal flu has a vaccine, COVID-19 does not. Also, it seems more easily transmissible than seasonal flu. And, the seasonal flu does not seem quite as bad as COVID-19 which causes more hospitalized by it to require ventilators.

South Korea has demonstrated that the more people tested, the lower the fatality rate. That makes sense because most people do not get terribly ill from this virus. Other countries, like the China, Italy or the US who test only ill people will have a percentage of fatalities and that may alarm people.

Fatality rate for seasonal flu appears to be around 0.1% of those who get it. We don't know what the fatality rate will be for COVID-19 but if the fatality rate turns out to be .3% or .4% the number who die will depend on how many get it. For example, if everyone in the US (330 million) gets it, and the fatality rate is .3% then that translates into about 1 million deaths and most of those will be the elderly and those most vulnerable. Obviously, everyone won't get this virus but a lot will because it is highly transmissible.

We just don't know how widespread the virus is or will become because widespread testing has not taken place. This coming week numbers will probably spike as more are tested, although the administration seems (this is my personal view) to be keeping a lid on testing, perhaps, to minimize the public alarm.

My guess is that if widespread testing is done this coming week people will get an initial shock about how widespread the virus already is in the US.

Containment and quarantine may be working and it may not be. The only way to know is widespread testing which the administration seems (again to me) grossly unwilling to conduct, so far.

For example, yesterday, the administration said 1.1 million test kits had been produced last week. Yet yesterday, regarding the Grand Princess outbreak, Pence announced 46 people out of 3500 were tested with 21 positive. What about the other 3400? Why weren't those people in such a close environment tested with so many tests available?

Yes, they will be isolated and tested during this week but testing all 3500 immediately would have helped inform us on rates of infection. Perhaps, the virus is less transmissible than we think. So you have a million tests but couldn't spare 3500 to use on the Grand Princess where there are at least 21 infected? Either, you don't have 1 million test kits, or, you are incompetent, IMO.

This week people may become alarmed by a spike in new cases but keep in mind that is may only be a function of more testing, if it finally occurs.

Just like China, many people may begin staying home. Yes, the economy will be greatly affected in that case. Americans are less compliant and some functions are critical to society so people will be out and about. But vulnerable people should begin thinking about how best to protect themselves in case an outbreak appears locally.

I think of COVID-19 as a very, very ugly flu, life-threatening to the vulnerable, easy to get and take precautions with that idea in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
                  For example, yesterday, the administration said 1.1 million test kits had been produced last week. Yet yesterday, regarding the Grand Princess outbreak, Pence announced 46 people out of 3500 were tested with 21 positive. What about the other 3400? Why weren't those people in such a close environment tested with so many tests available?

Yes, they will be isolated and tested during this week but testing all 3500 immediately would have helped inform us on rates of infection. Perhaps, the virus is less transmissible than we think. So you have a million tests but couldn't spare 3500 to use on the Grand Princess where there are at least 21 infected? Either, you don't have 1 million test kits, or, you are incompetent, IMO.
                  People who were symptomatic were tested first, perhaps to get positive Covid19 results quickly.

It is my understanding that the ship will dock off the coast of Oakland, Calif., on Monday.

All passengers will be tested.

Those who require acute medical treatment and hospitalization will be taken to medical facilities in California, and the others will be taken to a quarantine facility.

Makes sense to me.
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for all the great information on this thread. There is definitely a lot of uncertainty when it comes to US and this virus. I have a couple of questions.

1. does anyone know if the pneumonia vaccine would be of any benefit? I plan to ask my primary care doctor tomorrow.

2. once you get this virus and recover are you “done”? Have you developed a resistance to it? (Or do I watch too many movies.LOL). I work in a hospital so I figure there’s a decent chance it’s gonna get me at some point.

I take Tysabri and my infusion center is in a major university hospital in downtown chicago. I don’t even want to step foot in that place...but I also don’t want an exacerbation. Fun with MS Chess. 🙄
                    "It matters not how strait the gate,
                    How charged with punishments the scroll,
                    I am the master of my fate,
                    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DPL2014 View Post
                      1. does anyone know if the pneumonia vaccine would be of any benefit? I plan to ask my primary care doctor tomorrow.

2. once you get this virus and recover are you “done”? Have you developed a resistance to it?
                      Good questions.

1. The short answer is no, says Dr. Rachel Roper, associate professor of microbiology and immunology at East Carolina University’s Brody School of Medicine.

“The current pneumonia vaccine protects against Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria that cause pneumonia,” Roper told The News & Observer via email on Thursday. “That vaccine will not protect against SARS Cov2 COVID2019 pneumonia.”
                      Source: newsobserver.com

2. It's too soon to know.

The woman who tested positive in Japan after a recovery was released before the government issued guidelines for medical institutions treating coronavirus patients.

Before Feb. 3, the government had not required doctors to perform polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests when discharging patients. Doctors could decide to release patients if their temperatures hadn’t gone higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius during a 24-hour period, their symptoms showing respiratory infection had shown improvement and blood cell analysis had shown signs of recovery.

The health ministry later in February asked all medical institutions accepting COVID-19 patients to conduct PCR tests until two negative tests were recorded. Source: Japan Times
                      Kimba

Comment

My second thought is that I recall a Canadian national study which found 24% of PwMS died of pneumonia. COVID-19 is a respiratory virus, easily spread, not all who have it show symptoms, but it is dangerous to weakened immune systems.

Not sure Coronavirus and pneumonia are the same thing? They cause same symptoms. Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by NRJ View Post
                          My second thought is that I recall a Canadian national study which found 24% of PwMS died of pneumonia. COVID-19 is a respiratory virus, easily spread, not all who have it show symptoms, but it is dangerous to weakened immune systems.

Not sure Coronavirus and pneumonia are the same thing? They cause same symptoms. Your thoughts?
                          Hello NRJ,

No, they are not the same thing. My thought was that PwMS appear susceptible to pneumonia and COVID-19 can cause pneumonia, therefore, the respiratory risk is with this virus is something PwMS may want to be aware of and mitigate, if they wish.

“Pneumonia is an infection in one or both lungs. Bacteria, viruses, and fungi cause it.”

“Coronaviruses are a common cause of bronchitis (an inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes), sometimes, they cause pneumonia.”

I hope that helps clarify.

Comment

I have suffered bronchitis and bad asthma my entire life. The thought of dying on a respirator not able to say goodbye to loved ones seems like the worst.

There does seem to be a dichotomy between the reactions toward this virus and it’s actual death rate. Since the Tysabri has made me very susceptible to infections I am being very careful. I have been in the hospital an uncountable amount of times with UTIs that made me unconscious, three bouts of pneumonia and multiple wound infections.

What is difficult is that my neurologist NP decided to extend the Ty interval from 4 weeks to two weeks. After about 3 months of that it was obvious that my MS was getting out of control. So just recently it was changed back to 4 weeks.

But now that COVID-19 has reached the US, anything could happen. China and Italy are being extremely precautious. The streets of Wuhan are still empty and large parts,of northern Italy are under quarantine unable to come or go from their small towns.

The US seems to have a “it won’t happen to us’ attitude. Maybe that is good to remain calm and let those who could die of many other things die,

What is a little humorous is that the supermarkets in our town are completely empty. If you need toilet paper you are out of luck. We have no cases of the disease here but a few neighboring states do. No harm in being cautious. I am going to forgo handshakes and those communal pens used to sign electronically.

Comment

Hello to all: So much awesome info and links shared on this site! Thank you so much!

Went to Costco today, and they were completely out of toilet paper (and disinfectant sprays, wipes, baby wipes) and beans....my question is why are people hoarding tp and beans?? Luckily I can order them on line, but I'm curious. Would have asked staff but they all looked stressed, bless their hearts. And what about the water?? I'm having flashbacks to 1999 and people hoarding things (yes, I had a few gallons of water and a little propane stove). But water shouldn't be a problem, right??

I'm in New Mexico, one of the states with no known cases (but I'm sure it will happen). Allergies are high here so people are sneezy and coughing. Can't do anything but pray (and I include everyone in this fantastic group), wash hands, take my daily vitamin, cough into kleenex, don't go anywhere I don't absolutely need to. Take care everyone.
                              Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Two different sources this morning put the number of people in the US tested for COVID-19 at between 6k+ and 8k+, respectively.

This morning I watched as Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar was interviewed on TV and was asked how many people in the US have been tested. He replied he did not know. The CDC had tested around 2000, he said. The remainder by various health departments and independent contractors such as Quest, he said.

Secretary Azar's lack of knowledge about testing was the most frightening part of the interview, to me. But I will give him credit for stating, "I'll only going to tell you what I know, I'm not going to tell you what I don't know."

Until, or unless, we begin extensive testing in the US we will not know what degree of danger exists in our respective communities.

Italy started out with local clusters and now the entire country is shut down except for critical services.

We, in the US have clusters in Washington, California, and New York and individual cases in most states.

I believe it is prudent to think the containment of the clusters and individuals in the US will be no more successful than it has been in Italy. I dearly hope I am wrong but we just don't know because widespread testing has not occurred in the US, thus far.

If extensive testing ever does occur, as ultimately it must if the virus spreads as it has in Italy, the results may shock us regarding how prevalent it has become while we tried to ignore it.

All this does matter. Mitigating risk to our own lives and protecting our loved ones does matter. We could do that better if we had better information about the prevalence of the disease in our respective areas and in the nation.

Tragically, and I do mean tragically, extensive testing has not occurred in the US. South Korea was testing 10's of thousands within one week of the outbreak there. Not so here in the more advanced US; not even close!

It would be helpful if we could employ a few more of those millions of tests now available.

Sadly, I have the feeling the US is not handling the situation well, at all. And, some of my loved ones may very well pay the price, as may yours, or you, or myself. Hope is not a strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                X