• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 02-27-2020

5 checked in this last week.

2 met goals.
    3 met partial goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I didn't meet my goals. I started the week off well enough with 3 days in, but got a bad cold, thanks to my granddaughter who shared it with me.

Been sleeping lots and have been a couch potato ever since. I forget that a simple cold can wreck havoc while living with MS.

Hope you all had a better week than I did!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made both goals

I modified my goals last week and I was able to make my modified goals. Hopefully, I'll get up to my original goals at some point. I think my focus on diet and sauna is making it difficult to put as much focus on exercise as I'd like to. But, I'll just go with these modified goals for now.

Total steps = 12,394 Avg steps = 1701 steps per day
      Exercised 4x this week:
      - Chair Yoga (2x)
      - Strong Seniors (2x)
      - Silver Sneakers (1x)
      - PT at home (1x)

Modified goals:
      1. Average of 1,600 steps per day.
      2. Exercise at least 3 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
      - Include both some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I modified my goals last week and I was able to make my modified goals. Hopefully, I'll get up to my original goals at some point.

Hi Mamabug!
        Sounds like you had a good enough week to me. And Seasha - my trainer appears to be under the weather also, today's session was canceled but I went to gym anyhow.

A partially successful week for me.…

2x week = 35 minutes of mixed cardio each x (2 miles each x). Good wind these days.
        5x week = stretching with 1 lb. wrist weights & 5 ft. pole.
        1x week = ab crunches on decline bench / 30 degree angle: 75 reps

A different Monday: strength, lower body but all as floor exercise. Almost everything we do in pool but in gym. Surprisingly hard but I could see benefits as relating to activities of daily living (up & down, walking side to side, backward (NOT recommended without someone you trust!), transferring weight, balance, ROM and the like. Pretty good but no weight exercises, only band resistance work.

Tuesday: In pool with variations walking (see above) and some stretching with band resistance. No ankle weights.

Today: Trainer out, solo @ gym: Arms / upper body. I mixed it up but wound up spending 30 - 40 minutes in two different conversations with a fellow I know. Nice guy, my age, a gym rat. Cut my visit short... out of laziness or out of patience?

So a mixed bag for my Goals Posted this week. But have to say that going to gym even though my session was cancelled gave me a boost. Hope all had a success or two or three this past week!

Comment

Made Goals

Hello everyone!

Seasha, I'm sorry that you've been sick. I totally understand how being ill can affect our ability to function, and the need for lots of rest.

Super job with your exercises Mamabug and Jer!

Jer, I love your determination to go to the gym, even though your session was cancelled!

Mamabug, I'm amazed that you can tolerate a sauna. Glad that it helps you!

I had a good week, and thankfully accomplished my goals.

Three times I was able to exceed the 30 min 'up on feet/light activity'. Usually after 30 min the motor fatigue hits, and I need to rest. This is one of those simple things that I choose to feel good about.

Continuing with the same goals for next week:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good health, good energy, and perseverance to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Mamabug, I'm amazed that you can tolerate a sauna. Glad that it helps you!
            My sauna is an FIR infrared sauna dome. Infrared heat is a dry heat. Heat, alone, has never affected my MS.

I think it's probably the combination of heat and humidity that bothers me. Weather doesn't seem to be an issue, but going to a swimming pool drains me so much that I'm unable to walk out of the building and to the car without hubby on one side and my cane on the other.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hope you are feeling better soon Seasha.

Great work this week Mamabug and Jer.

Awesome job Koko.

I didn't get it all in this week.

Made 2 out of 2 Jiu Jitsu sessions.
              0 out of 2 runs.
              1 out of 2 yoga sessions.

Not putting in the work like I should be hopefully I'll get back on track soon. I've abandoned the carnivore diet as I didn't plan well enough for it. I did learn a little bit from the few days I was on it though. Keep it going.
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                My sauna is an FIR infrared sauna dome. Infrared heat is a dry heat. Heat, alone, has never affected my MS.

I think it's probably the combination of heat and humidity that bothers me. Weather doesn't seem to be an issue, but going to a swimming pool drains me so much that I'm unable to walk out of the building and to the car without hubby on one side and my cane on the other.
                Thanks for clarifying your sauna experience, Mamabug.

You are fortunate!
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Made 2 out of 2 Jiu Jitsu sessions.
                  1 out of 2 yoga sessions.
                  Good that you were able to accomplish these, Boudreaux!

Not putting in the work like I should be hopefully I'll get back on track soon.
                  Do the best you can, all things considered, with work and family responsibilities which take up time and energy also.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Three times I was able to exceed the 30 min 'up on feet/light activity'. Usually after 30 min the motor fatigue hits, and I need to rest. This is one of those simple things that I choose to feel good about.

This is the kind of "boost" that we can all enjoy. Thanks for sharing KoKo!

Comment

I've abandoned the carnivore diet as I didn't plan well enough for it. I did learn a little bit from the few days I was on it though.

Boudreaux, when time permits, I'd like to hear your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                        Boudreaux, when time permits, I'd like to hear your comments.
                        I never felt hungry when eating only meat, eggs and hard cheeses. I realized how many times I go to the pantry or fridge looking for a snack. I never really had to go to the bathroom. I thought I caused some sort of blockage because things just weren't moving but once I started consuming other food groups, it was back to the library like normal. I plan on trying this again soon but I need to be better prepared to go the duration by having more food available. I also need to drink more water.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I never felt hungry when eating only meat, eggs and hard cheeses. I realized how many times I go to the pantry or fridge looking for a snack. I never really had to go to the bathroom. I thought I caused some sort of blockage because things just weren't moving but once I started consuming other food groups, it was back to the library like normal. I plan on trying this again soon but I need to be better prepared to go the duration by having more food available. I also need to drink more water.

My last 25 years or so have seen less & less red meat.

Now a roast beef or a burger challenge the system. But a ham & Colby on rye (w. Wasabi!) will always find a place in my heart.

Good luck, and varying the food groups is the way to go (sorry).

Comment

Working...
                          X