Walking Progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking Progression

Although everyone is different, I'm curious how long (time) did it take before you started using an aid when walking (cane, crutches, scooter, etc.). My balance has always been "off" but my legs have been "stiff and heavy" lately.

Simply wondering what to keep an eye out for to discuss with my neuro during next appt. When walking becomes difficult, how long did it take to become more and more dependent on some kind of walking aid? Also, any tips on delaying this progression?

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I really can't remember when I started using a cane, but I think it was about 19-20 years after my 1st flare. I still use it rarely, but rely most on my rollator walker, transport chair for long distances and when I feel up for it, I use trekking poles for short walks. I did have a scooter, but it has since died.

Also, any tips on delaying this progression?
    Physical therapy can help to help with balance issues and regaining muscle strength. I highly recommend it! Here is something I wrote in another thread awhile back - Note however, I am SP.

"..., but my gait was was off and legs were weak. During one PT session my physical therapist had me walk across a long room 3 times while he video taped my walking.

One using my cane.
    One using trekking poles.
    One using a rollator walker.

It was amazing watching the video of the difference between using the cane vs a walker! (trekking poles came in a close 2nd) My posture was better, my gait was smoother, balance was better and it took less precious energy. I was sold and I've been using a walker ever since. (When I go for short walks outside, I use my trekking poles)"

Also if you are experiencing stiffness and heaviness, a good med to take is Baclofen, but definitely talk to your neuro about PT.

Wishing you the best!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Six months after my diagnosis, I needed a cane. My balance was horrible, heavy legs, and spasticity. I succumbed to a cane once it became too unsafe for me to walk more than few feet without something I could lean on. Wall walking and strategic furniture placement only go so far!

Since then progressed to wheeled walker, rollator, and wheelchair. My posture and gait were best with Canadian crutches, but because of my balance wasn't the best choice.

PT kept me walking as long as possible. Also, knew when to have me evaluated for AFOs, which helped greatly. I got a Baclofen pump after the oral medication was no longer effective for my spasticity.

Also highly recommend PT.

Best wishes
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
        Although everyone is different, I'm curious how long (time) did it take before you started using an aid when walking (cane, crutches, scooter, etc.).
        That's such a good question! I'll bet a lot of our members wonder.

For me, 16 years.

My MS started, with a bang, in 2002. I started using a cane whenever I leave the house, in 2018.

I could still, often, get by without it. But, I need it, or something to hold onto, when I go down curbs, walk on uneven ground, etc. I've never regretted the decision to use one.

I use my power chair when I have to go long distances. I can only walk a block or two before tiring and needing to sit.

You might find this thread interesting. It's a slightly different question, but somewhat related.
        http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...15#post1489215
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
          Although everyone is different, I'm curious how long (time) did it take before you started using an aid when walking (cane, crutches, scooter, etc.)
          Hi dm

I needed to use a cane about 5 years after dx with PPMS.

During the following few years after that, I needed more support and used a 3-wheel rollator, and then on to a 4-wheel rollator for even more stability and support.

I currently use a 4-wheel rollator around my apartment (short distance) and need to use a wheelchair or power chair for long distances.

I do leg stretches and leg exercises, and walk inside my apartment regularly (although the walk is slow, with several pauses ).

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2010, and because walking difficulties were what led me to seek out a neurologist, and after numerous falls and lots of reading on "the Google", I kind of knew what my future looked like.

I purchased my 1st 3-wheeled rollator in the Fall of 2010 because I was hoping to attend a HUGE craft fair and didn't want to take an unnecessary fall. I didn't have a need for it until 2014 when I went to bed able to walk unassisted and woke up needing my rollator. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right knee with a great deal of pain, but I still believe it was related to my MS; I just don't know why or how.

I was able to get by for 3 years with the 3-wheeled rollator, but once again, I foresaw where this MS journey was heading, and I purchased a 4-wheeled rollator a couple years before I needed it. However, now I use it whenever I'm out and about, and my 3 wheelers are used inside the house.

Long story short, prepare early for where you think you might be in the near future. Have you tried Ampyra for walking? 30% of people have good luck with it; I was on it for 7 years, but it didn't seem to help me much and once I went on Medicare, it was just too expensive.

Definitely keep up with exercising the legs. I had no luck with land based PT, but I have had good success with swimming since it removes gravity as an impediment. I also just purchased a Cubii jr., an elliptical for the legs, and it seems to be working. I've only had it one week, so I'm ramping up slowly.

Good luck!

Comment

For me, I went 18 years before needing any kind of support (walls or an arm when going distances), then it was another 4 before I had to resort to a cane. Fortunately, that spell only lasted a couple months, and I was fine for 13 more years. In between, I did have a few occasions when I used the nearest wall, and I started taking a cane on my rare trips to places like the mall, although I didn't usually need it. I can still go short distances most days without one, but I've begun taking it everywhere now, just in case.

I bought a folding cane, and I love it! It's only slightly bigger than a folding umbrella, so it's easy enough to tuck in a large bag and I only pull it out when I need it. If you find yourself relying too heavily on walls, companions, or shopping carts to walk, then that's the time when you need to try a cane.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                I started using a cane whenever I leave the house, in 2018.
                Just an added note:
                When I started using a cane, I bought a tripod foot to go on the bottom of it.

I love that my cane stands by itself, instead of leaning it against things. It also feels more sturdy when I walk. I see so many other people whose canes look so wobbly.

The quad canes are said to be a tripping hazard; I wouldn't want one of those.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
                  If you find yourself relying too heavily on walls, companions, or shopping carts to walk, then that's the time when you need to try a cane.
                  So true!

I would have had a much easier time with walking (fewer falls and more valuable energy saved), if I had used a cane or rollator a couple of years earlier than I did.

I'll never forget the day that I got my rollator (4-wheel), and used it for the first time. I was absolutely thrilled at how easily I could walk all the way around my apartment complex.

I fell in love with walking, and took long walks outside daily, weather permitting, for as long as I was able.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

This is a new issue for me.

I had my first "real" flair in 2004. I fell several times last year. I saw my MS doc last month. After watching me walk, he said, "It's time to start using a cane. Your balance is not good". So, I use it every day now.

Comment

Working...
                    X