Cupping Therapy / spasticity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cupping Therapy / spasticity...

Was wondering if anyone with spasticity issues ever tried this ancient treatment.

An opportunity to try it arose recently but a bit of research questioned any value.

My thinking was basic: that getting blood into the problem area should be a plus, muscle tissue pulled by suction another plus. Maybe 2 - 3 smaller cups (dry), bicep area...?

Thoughts, first hand experience, comments welcome!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone with spasticity issues ever tried this ancient treatment.

An opportunity to try it arose recently but a bit of research questioned any value.

My thinking was basic: that getting blood into the problem area should be a plus, muscle tissue pulled by suction another plus. Maybe 2 - 3 smaller cups (dry), bicep area...?

Hi Jer

I have never used cupping.

Your basic thinking about increasing blood flow and targeting a spastic muscle makes sense to me.

Because my muscle mass has diminished (leaving my skin somewhat fragile), I don't think cupping would be an option for me.

If given a choice, massage seems like a better option.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      (leaving my skin somewhat fragile)

Hey KoKo!

There have been times that a session @ gym resulted in bruises (trainers thumbprints, honest) so I know about skin elasticity and my age of course adds in.

The "cup" therapist and my research showed the result of cupping lasting up to 10 days.... At times I bruise from someone's hard stare ;-)

And... my spastic arm muscles are akin to steel bands, worse as the day goes on. Thinking that anyone could suction any of my muscle, well I just don't see it. But I have been wrong before!

J

Comment

And... my spastic arm muscles are akin to steel bands, worse as the day goes on.
        A little off topic here Jer - - didn't you get botox treatment in your arm muscles to get them loosened up? (or am I thinking of another guy around here)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          A little off topic here Jer - - didn't you get botox treatment in your arm muscles to get them loosened up? (or am I thinking of another guy around here)

Yes, good memory KoKo! I got the injections in spastic arm.

Doc said we'll go slow, using the smallest amount (100cc's, I think), three locations (one above & two below elbow), with him moving the needle around. Uncomfortable but I let him do it, reason he gave was to spread the botox around (his words).

By next morning the edge was off. I felt less spasticity (pain cut substantially). Trainer and I had established some benchmarks pre needle, to see if / when (?) any improvement would show. This was the main reason to try the treatment.... To see if in the 3 month period I could improve my strength.

Doc said I could exercise the next day if I wanted. Only instructions were not to rub arm. Also reiterated the max time before wearing off would likely be 3 months.

End of Sept '19 was injection date. Other than pain relief, benchmarks were barely met in the 3 month period. BTW for me it was 2 months.

The interesting thing is that in January I started to occasionally best my benchmarks! And pain returned, but I am not sure if it is as horrific as when I first went. Go figure!

As an aside: I received statements as to the cost of the procedure + botox + 30 seconds of a nurse sticking a suction cup or two on my arm pre injection(s). Total was just shy of $2k. (7 minutes!). And they immediately scheduled for my next injection without any request or discussion. I cancelled these appointments.

Never say never, but I will withstand the pain. I want to use the word sham but....

Comment

As an aside: I received statements as to the cost of the procedure + botox + 30 seconds of a nurse sticking a suction cup or two on my arm pre injection(s). Total was just shy of $2k. (7 minutes!). And they immediately scheduled for my next injection without any request or discussion. I cancelled these appointments.

Never say never, but I will withstand the pain. I want to use the word sham but....
            I'm not especially fond of the fact that this treatment has unpredictable effectiveness, and that it is temporary and must be repeated often, on a regular basis.

A once a year treatment, with excellent long term results, might be worth the cost.

Comment

Hey Jer.... Did you ever try the suction cup therapy?
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                Hey Jer.... Did you ever try the suction cup therapy?

No Boudreaux.

Pumping blood into any exercised area, often a mantra from my past trainer, makes sense to me.

The application of these cups which I have seen at my gym, certainly bring blood into the area under the cup(s), but is subcutaneous the same as working the muscle? For me, even muscle massage falls far short of doing the work yourself, but others on MSW felt better with massage, so... I just may be far too spastic to benefit.

Comment

I've never tried it, but your post got me thinking about it. It seems to me that the effect can be, but short-lived

Comment

Working...
                  X