Young and Newly Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young and Newly Diagnosed

My Name is Heather and I'm 26. I was diagnosed july of 2019, 10 days before my birthday. I'm looking to connect with other woman who are or were young when they were diagnosed. Going thru a rough patch as i'm young and single unsure if i'll ever have a family now because of this disease.

Hi Heather and welcome to MSWorld!

I, by any means, am not young, but wanted to let you know that we are all here to help - young and old alike. Getting a diagnosis, at any age can be very challenging. We all have been in your shoes and you are not alone!

As far as looking forward into your future and having a family and children, this article by the National MS Society (NMSS) is something you might want to read. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...alth/Pregnancy

I'm looking to connect with other woman who are or were young when they were diagnosed.
    Hopefully, someone who identifies with your request will share their story with you.
    Take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Welcome Heather.

Also not young, but know some young women from my Tysabri infusion center. In the 5 years there, I know 3 married, and 2 have had kids since - 3 healthy babies. They all felt the same way you do when they first started their infusions. They all still working full time too.

It is normal to worry about your future and dreams. The first year or two following a diagnosis can be an emotional roller coaster ride. It takes time to grieve and adjust. The first year, I know MS dominated my thoughts. At some point, things turned, and it became just a part of my life. But it took time and healing.

As hard as it is, try to take just one day at a time right now and not get too caught up in the "what-ifs". There are so many choices for disease modifying therapies to prevent relapses. If you can prevent the early damage, the theory is it will also help mitigate progression.

If you feel like sharing more about your diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, and your thoughts, please do. We all understand. Take care.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello Huntris26 and welcome to MSWorld

I was 23 when diagnosed...a very long time ago I was married at the time of diagnosis, but we did not have any children. I am still married to the same wonderful man and we were blessed with two awesome children. My son is 30 and my daughter 28.

Even though you are 26 and learning to live with MS you are still able to have a full and active life. There is so much more to life than this disease

Best wishes!
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Welcome Heather

Keep your dreams alive and remain hopeful.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I was 29 when I was diagnosed. Like you, I was single and terrified. I was sure no one would want me anymore.

I was wrong.

I spent the first year post-diagnosis in mourning. But a year after that, I met a really sweet guy. We got married 1.5 years later.

Today we're married 19+ years and we have a son.

There are good guys out there. There really are.

Comment

Hello! I'm currently 35 and was diagnosed at 33 (so i'm only two years in to my diagnosis). Very scary at first with lots of thoughts of life ahead however i have never felt as hopeful as i have in the past year.

With current medications and advances, i feel we are at least lucky to be diagnosed now instead of decades ago (hope that doesn't sound weird or offensive as no one feels lucky to have MS). I just believe we have more options which will be trial and error for your own body.

As far as children, i have a 3 year old (going on 14 haha) and when i chose what medication i wanted to go on, the deciding factor was whether i wanted to have more children. In fact, every appt my neuro asks my feelings on expanding my family as he would help do it in the safest way. I chose not to pursue more children however i have heard that people with MS actually feel pretty good while pregnant. ALthough i was not diagnosed at the time of my pregnancy, i loved every minute and felt amazing. Just tired which could have been the fatigue of MS as that is my major symptom. After birth of my child i do think i had a major flare up but so many emotions occur and hit you at once.

The first year of diagnosis was scary and all i could think about. The future, limitations, explaining to my child, etc. However i can say coming up on my second year anniversary of being diagnosed, i actually forget i have it on most days.

Best of luck. The best advice i got when diagnosed was to be positive or it will beat you and remember that it's not a terminal disease. Others have it much worse.

Hope this brought some positive vibes and hope
              Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
              Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Well I don't fit in to the young or women part of this thread. I am 40 as of March. I was diagnosed at 26. That was a heck of a Christmas. I was single at the time. I am now married almost six years. I have two beautiful daughters. The older one is a "step" the younger is mine. The older one I will claim as my own but sometimes will add that I did not donate DNA for her.
                MS is a scary diagnosis. We already knew a little about it. My mother had it as well.
                Just keep on trying and you can make it. I was scared of having to give myself injections. I did it and you can too.

Comment

Hi,

I wanted to say hello and I am so sorry about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed at 14 years old. I was afraid I would never get married and have kids. I did both. I also had a career I loved. I am now a 58-year-old lady with 2 grown sons, a fabulous grandson. MS does not define what you can do with your life. You define that. MS just makes your parameters a bit out of the norm.

Accepting this diagnosis is step one(easier said than done). Step two is how you decide to handle it (also easier said than done.) It is not always simple. I have gone through periods where I wanted to cry my eyes out and did! I also had some very wonderful experiences that I would not trade for the world. My MS is relapsing-remitting and as I get older, the lapses are worse but I continue to plug away and do what I can. I find joy in the little things. I leave notes on a whiteboard on the inside of my front door so I don't forget my house keys because I have left the house and ended up locked out, sitting on the front steps till my husband came home. I leave notes all over the house to remind me of things like turning off the coffee pot ( I really should get one with auto-off). I use a home assistant to remind me as well for appointment times and dates, when to cook if it's my turn, etc. You get the idea. It makes things interesting and sometimes I hate post-it notes. lol I have to ask for help which is sometimes hard. Asking for help is not an admission of failure. Needing help is okay and everyone could use a little sometimes.

I wish I had had a forum like this when I was first diagnosed. The people here are awesome and helpful and I recommend you come back often and search topics and don't be afraid to ask anything. You can do this. One day at a time.

Hugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X