Strabismus Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strabismus Surgery

My double vision has worsened significantly since my last flare. I see double even with my prism lenses and I am maxed out on prism. My neuro-ophthalmologist believes my brain can no longer compensate for the double vision. As a result, I will have surgery on my right eye tomorrow. I am very nervous but hopeful for a good outcome.

The operation must be done under general anesthesia and that is concerning me the most. I hate going under general anesthesia and knowing that someone else is responsible for my most basic life functions, such as breathing! I work in the medical field so I think it is a situation of knowing too much!

My 4th cranial nerve is paralyzed from a brain stem lesion so my surgeon will be moving the an eye muscle to a different location on my eye and weakening the opposing eye muscle.

Has anyone else gone through this surgery and can tell me how successful it was and what the recovery was like? I will update when I can. Thanks!

I can't help on the surgery polopuppy, but wanted to wish you well. I hope you have a speedy recovery and a successful one too. Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I too am sending well wishes for a very successful operation, polopuppy

Let us know the outcome when you are up for it.
      Do you know if vision recovery will be immediate or take awhile to recover completely?

Best to you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi polopuppy,

Wishing you all the best on your surgery
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Best Wishes polopuppy!

We're rooting for your successful surgery!
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you so much for your encouraging and supportive posts. I have been told that my vision will be blurry for about a week but will slowly improve. Full recovery is not expected for 1 month and that is when I will get tested for new lenses.

My neuro-ophthalmologist thinks I will need 50% less prism than what I am using now. The surgery should stabilize the position of my eyes and allow me to see a single image with my prisms. If my double vision worsens over time, the surgery will give me some wiggle room to add extra prism. My double vision has never been stable and worsens during flares so this is important. I will let you all know how things go. Thanks again!

Comment

We'll look forward to seeing an update after the surgery.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am home recovering and everything went well. My surgeon was great and so was the anesthesiologist who spent the night before reading my complex medical history!

The eye is quite painful, especially with any movement. There is a surprising amount of bleeding from the eye and swelling but that should get better over the next couple days. I have quite the shiner forming. I have to wear an eye shield at night and take eye drops 4 times a day for the next month. My fingers are crossed for a good outcome. Thanks for all your good wishes and prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                  I am home recovering and everything went well. My surgeon was great and so was the anesthesiologist who spent the night before reading my complex medical history!
                  That's great to know, polopuppy!

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                  My fingers are crossed for a good outcome.
                  Our fingers are crossed for a good outcome as well.

Take care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                  X