Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buyers Beware!

Hello all,

From my avatar you can see how happy I've been to have my mobility scooter to get around (and to have granddaughters enjoy the ride as well)

Well, this was all short lived. The machine died.

It's a long story, but basically we bought the scooter almost 2 years ago, but it quit on me 4 months past the 1 year warranty and I've been trying to get it repaired since last early fall. We made numerous attempts to call the company where we bought it with no call back from them. Finally got through and was sent a part to fix it after we did a diagnostic test. The part didn't fix the problem.

Last fall we took it to a local trusted shop, specializing in sales and repair of mobility equipment. They have also called this company for the past 4 months numerous times with no success in even getting through. Sadly, I've given up- have no options for recourse, so we are going to pick up the non-working scooter this week.

Did some digging and found this scooter company has an F rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and evidently the owner had a previous company in which he was charged with defrauding people with disabilities. He eventually changed the name of his company and keeps scamming people to this day.

I got ripped off for $2700

I don't have the liberty of naming this company here, but I want to caution people on MSW so no one else gets ripped of. Be sure to check out a company through the Better Business Bureau before you purchase any kind of equipment!!

I really don't know what to do without my scooter for outdoor use. Spring will be here soon enough and need it before I can get out to my gardens and fruit trees.

I am sad and livid!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Ohhh! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope Karma comes back to get them.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Seasha I feel bad for you, and sorry that this scooter turned out to be a 'lemon' and that the seller is a scammer.

I know how much it was helping you to get to the garden, and just getting around outside in general.

Our local TV news stations have 'call for action' or the 'I team' and they investigate situations such as yours. They do all the phone calls and leg work.

I sure hope that you are not going to be out all of the money you had to spend.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Really sorry to hear Seasha. I know how much your scooter meant to you in living your life. As they say, there is a special place for people like that.

I am sure you have, but online, make sure you give them horrendous reviews everywhere you can: google, Yahoo, help, Facebook, etc... I guess you also notified the BBB to keep that eating negative.

Like KoKo, our local news team does a truobleshooter segment. They often get a favorable resolution due to the publicity. Any where you live? Possibly any disability advocacy groups?

I do hope something works out for you, and of course, your granddaughter. Lots of luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Why can't you name the company here? If you had an unpleasant experience you should be able to share that with everyone that way we can use that info in our decision making process. IMO anyway.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
            Why can't you name the company here? If you had an unpleasant experience you should be able to share that with everyone that way we can use that info in our decision making process. IMO anyway.
            It's a liability issue, Boudreaux. Sorry, but this story of mine just serves to warn others of what to avoid and to be aware of company profiles and reviews. I should have done my homework and checked out the company first!

Comment

Seasha,

That was a great shot of you & grandkids in the yard. I'm sorry the scooter was short lived and understand the "livid & sad" comment.

It looks like at least 2 months before spring so I'm hoping that you will resolve the issue soon.

And thanks for the BBB advise.

Jer

Comment

Thanks all~ I am thinking of calling a TV station that has a problem solver program to see they can help me. I'm envisioning that my cognition problems will pop up when I have to speak to someone there, so my husband is going to write out talking points before I call.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Thanks all~ I am thinking of calling a TV station that has a problem solver program to see they can help me. I'm envisioning that my cognition problems will pop up when I have to speak to someone there, so my husband is going to write out talking points before I call.

Wish me luck!
                  Good luck Seasha and DH!
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'm sorry about the scooter, you were so happy when you got it.

Thank you for warning us and I hope you will be posting you got a new one, after the tv trouble shooter gets behind it.

Good Luck Seasha.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

This just makes me want to cry. I am so sorry! I was able to get outside this morning and spend 10 whole minutes weeding my front flower bed, but we've already started looking for scooters for me because I can't get far from the house. As expensive as they are, it's devastating to wind up with a lemon. I hope you'll be able to replace it before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
                        This just makes me want to cry. I am so sorry! I was able to get outside this morning and spend 10 whole minutes weeding my front flower bed, but we've already started looking for scooters for me because I can't get far from the house. As expensive as they are, it's devastating to wind up with a lemon. I hope you'll be able to replace it before too long.
                        Yes, Nora - the scooter will help you so much! It save energy too. For the extra effort it takes for walking you can use it for tending the flowers

Please do your homework- read reviews and go the BBB for any comments.
                        Good luck scooter shopping!

Comment

Working...
                        X