Recurrent dry cough and MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Marti. I am not on BP meds.

I did see the ENT. Doc looked down my nose and also my throat. She said the only thing that she saw was that my throat was a little irritated - from coughing.

Doc said my allergies are well controlled, no signs of GERD/reflux. Since my PCP already did the first 3 things she would try, she prescribed 3 meds. Two are meds people with GERD take - she said just in case some acid is causing a problem. The 3rd is an antidepressant, but since it dulls nerves, off label use to calm the cough reflex. She gave me a choice between that and gabapentin.

She let me start with just the two GERD Rxs to see if that did the trick. It didn't make much difference. So I added the 3rd. It seems to be working some, but still coughing. Going to give it another few days and contact her if no more improvement. She said she might increase the dosage. The side effects of the 3rd are not fun for me - headache, dizziness, extremity weakness.

My neighbor said she had something similar years ago, and turned out to be thyroid nodules. So will ask about that if it doesn't resolve.

Of course now, if you cough in public, the evil eye is given. Someone asked me yesterday why I was out. Ironic - I was picking up a Rx and buying cough drops!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

I did see the ENT. Doc looked down my nose and also my throat. She said the only thing that she saw was that my throat was a little irritated - from coughing.

Doc said my allergies are well controlled, no signs of GERD/reflux. Since my PCP already did the first 3 things she would try, she prescribed 3 meds. Two are meds people with GERD take - she said just in case some acid is causing a problem. The 3rd is an antidepressant, but since it dulls nerves, off label use to calm the cough reflex. She gave me a choice between that and gabapentin.

She let me start with just the two GERD Rxs to see if that did the trick. It didn't make much difference. So I added the 3rd. It seems to be working some, but still coughing. Going to give it another few days and contact her if no more improvement. She said she might increase the dosage. The side effects of the 3rd are not fun for me - headache, dizziness, extremity weakness.

My neighbor said she had something similar years ago, and turned out to be thyroid nodules. So will ask about that if it doesn't resolve.

Of course now, if you cough in public, the evil eye is given. Someone asked me yesterday why I was out. Ironic - I was picking up a Rx and buying cough drops!

Very interesting. I have thyroid nodules, but my thyroid was "killed" years ago. I had Graves disease and I understand that once you have that one, you always have it even after ablation. ?? Hope you feel better soon.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

Did the cough go away? I have the same thing... just wondering what finally worked.

Comment

Hi Guest123,

It finally did for the most part. The Nortriptyline anti-depressant seemed to do the most good, but I stopped that early. It got me to the point where I was coughing, but greatly reduced. But the side effects were an issue, so after 2weeks, tapered down off it

They also took me off Advair and prescribed Singular instead. I missed the Advair a few days and noticed the lingering cough was better, but I couldn't get as deep a breath though, hence the singulair. I still have a little cough, but allergy related.

After the coughing was under control, I still felt like something was caught in my throat and constant clearing was needed. My voice would crack and cut out after a few minutes talking. ENT said she normally would send to speech therapist, as after long cough, what I experienced was normal. But due to covid-19 and living in a high incident area, deferred it. It is getting better on its own

I hope you find something that works. It was so frustrating - I couldn't hold any conversation and it was exhausting.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X