Recurrent dry cough and MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurrent dry cough and MS?

I have had a dry cough and constant need to clear my throat for 5 weeks now. I have had a medrol dose pack, followed by almost 3 weeks of Prednisone with 2 days left. Also now on a prescription cough medicine that is supposed to inhibit the reflex to cough. While it dulls it a little, it is still chronic. I also use Advair for asthma, and a rescue inhaler as needed. No one around me has caught this, so I don't think contagious.

I know MS can affect swallowing. So I was wondering if it is also known to affect this cough reflex?

Going to schedule with an ENT since nothing seems to be working and the cough is really wearing me down. On the plus side, I can clear a checkout line really quickly. Nobody wants to be near me.

Any thoughts?
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I don't have a lot of thoughts. And I don't know if it's related to MS or not.

One remedy for anything that might resemble a cold symptom that I often use is Tei Fu lotion or cream. It's kind of similar to Vicks Vaporub, but a much healthier version; it doesn't have petroleum in it and it has some healthy essential oils.

You might be able to find it on Amazon or in a health food store. I usually order mine from my Nature's Sunshine distributor.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Kathy,

Sorry to hear that you still have that cough. Most likely it caused by your asthma than your MS.

"Lesions in/near the area postrema (the area where the brainstem and spinal cord meet) can cause nausea, hiccups, and cough. Such a symptom is unusual in MS and more common in rarer neurologic disease that can mimick MS. When this part of the nervous system is affected, it can cause intractable symptoms throughout the day as well.

More common explanations for persistent coughing include certain medications (called ACE inhibitors), seasonal allergies, post-nasal drip, acid reflux disease, asthma etc... Treatment varies depending on the identified cause of your cough."
      https://www.healthcarejourney.com/q-...-symptom-of-ms

Good luck with the ENT appointment and I hope your cough subsides soon!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I don't have a lot of thoughts. And I don't know if it's related to MS or not.

One remedy for anything that might resemble a cold symptom that I often use is Tei Fu lotion or cream. It's kind of similar to Vicks Vaporub, but a much healthier version; it doesn't have petroleum in it and it has some healthy essential oils.

You might be able to find it on Amazon or in a health food store. I usually order mine from my Nature's Sunshine distributor.

I love Tei Fu lotion. First time I "met" it was when I had a massage. Works great for sore muscles too.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I've had the cough like yours for years... no kidding. It's constant, never ending. I've been told it's either allergies or GERD. Nothing else ever shows up during exams. Recently I read that you should stretch your arms over your head to stop coughs. Sometimes I even choke. Blowing my nose seems to help me. Good luck!
          Marti

Comment

Mamabug - thanks. I will look into it. I did try the Vicks, but I have no congestion, so it didn't seem to do much.

Kimba - thank you for the info. It is somewhat reassuring. I should have clarified that I don't have asthma, but they put me on the asthma meds to try to open airways up. I developed problems breathing from the cough. When I have had bronchitis in the past, had the same problem. But this time, I have no congestion, no post nasal drip, and thankfully, lungs are clear.

Marti - sorry to hear you have the same issue. Aside from annoying, scary when I can't breathe. I don't have the usual signs for GERD or allergies, but who knows.

PCP was off today, so hopefully, can get ENT name tomorrow.
            Kathy

Comment

I sure know what you are talking about! I also have asthma and get that impossible cough. My mother in law from Indonesia said to take a small sip of very cold weather. While it is not a cure-all, at least it calms it a little,

I use a nebulizer, which is very useful for an asthma attack but I think it might trigger that kind of cough. Advair is a powder. Just thinking about powder makes me want to cough. You might try to switch treatments. Brovana with a nebulizer is really helpful. Gettting to sleep seems to be the best remedy,

It seems like a seasonal thing, too. It used to come in the spring but with climate change it makes sense that it is happening in February. All I can tell you is that I have also been getting that cough lately so we could be reacting to something in the air.

What is interesting is that we both have MS and asthma and are experiencing the same thing. I believe that we can’t really separate out illnesses. They seem to interact with each other. Even though I was diagnosed with asthma when I was two, now that I am older and have MS, my asthma has become much more severe but it doesn’t follow the classic measurable pattern.

There have been nights when I can’t get air in and I feel like I am suffocating, go to ER my oxygen saturation is 100% and peak flow normal. That makes me think that the MS is playing a role.

With respiratory stuff things are temporary. This, too, will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                I love Tei Fu lotion. First time I "met" it was when I had a massage. Works great for sore muscles too.
                Yes!......
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  I should have clarified that I don't have asthma, but they put me on the asthma meds to try to open airways up.
                  A type of asthma where a dry cough is typically the only symptom present is cough-variant asthma. However, some patients may also experience a tightness in the chest.

It is possible for cough-variant asthma to develop into traditional asthma, resulting in additional symptoms such as wheezing and shortness of breath.

Cough-variant asthma may occur as the result of several triggers, including:

-Exercise, which causes exercise-induced asthma
                  -Allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, and dust.
                  -Breathing cold air or strong odors.
                  -Upper respiratory infections, such as sinusitis.
                  -Medications, such as aspirin or beta-blockers.

I hope the ENT can give you answers! Good luck
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks all. Earliest I can get in to ENT is 3/2, and that was with my PCPs help! Crazy. On high priority cancel list, so will see.

So frustrating. I can't hold more than a 3 minute conversation without coughing fits. Trying to stick to anti-inflammatory diet in the interim.
                    Kathy

Comment

Mamabug - thanks. I will look into it. I did try the Vicks, but I have no congestion, so it didn't seem to do much.
                      I hope it helps. It does work well for congestion and sinus. But it also works for coughs, cold, flu and bronchitis so maybe it works for a dry cough like yours.

It's also good on muscle pain, as Palmtree said, bug bites, etc.

And it just feels good.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well
                        My mother had a simple cold which triggered her asthma Around New Year’s Eve
                        Constant dry cough wouldn’t allow her to lay down or sleep
                        In one week we visited ER and UC, 3 times . X-ray was clean so Dr didn’t prescribe antibiotic

Brovana with a nebulizer was really helpful to calm her down temporarily
                        After 3+ weeks struggle, dry caugh and congestion , even though x-ray was clean flu test returned negative, Blood work result was OK and no fever , her primary physician prescribed antibiotic
                        She started feeling better and slowly improved but strange that performed recovery took 4+ weeks and antibiotic needed even though it was variant-cold
                        I hope you can see ENT & feel better soon.

Comment

I couldn’t believe this post! I have been coughing since December 2nd....

I have had a dry cough and constant need to clear my throat for 5 weeks now. I have had a medrol dose pack, followed by almost 3 weeks of Prednisone with 2 days left. Also now on a prescription cough medicine that is supposed to inhibit the reflex to cough. While it dulls it a little, it is still chronic. I also use Advair for asthma, and a rescue inhaler as needed. No one around me has caught this, so I don't think contagious.

I know MS can affect swallowing. So I was wondering if it is also known to affect this cough reflex?

Going to schedule with an ENT since nothing seems to be working and the cough is really wearing me down. On the plus side, I can clear a checkout line really quickly. Nobody wants to be near me.

Any thoughts?
                          I started coughing and sometimes it would not stop for hours. In the beginning there was a lot of phlegm Nd I had a stuffy nose all the time. I drank bottles of cough medicine. Finally went to an urgent care clinic one day and weeks later to my PCP. 2 chest X-rays clear...cat scan clear...no fever...

Then I started having shortness of breath...so now I have an echo scheduled next week. Saw a lung doc and have an inhaler and some nose drops that I think have a steroid in them.

The situation has changed and at times I thought it was totally gone. But within 24 hours it starts again. I stopped drinking coffee. I bought a humidifier for my bedroom. I bought a thing so I can sleep almost sitting up in case it is post nasal drip. I drink more water than usual. I am so exhausted and afraid to go to concerts I have tickets for because it might start.

The only other thing is that after 6 weeks the coughing time shortened. So now I cough for 10-2 minutes instead of hours. Although today is a relapse and cough is constant. But a dry cough.

That’s all I can think of right now. But a Google search of cough that won’t stop will give you lots to read ....by the way, coughing like this can be associated with blood pressure meds. And I looked on the Mayo Clinic site and found chronic cough and shortness of breath are potential side effects of rituxan....( that’s what I take)
                          "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

brave - sorry your Mom was sick for that long. Glad she is feeling better and on the mend.

MSLazarus - like you, a few times woke up feeling like it may be going away, just to have it come roaring back. I don't take BP meds and did check side effects of other meds. I know Tysabri is making it harder to clear, but this is ridiculous. Today, I can't talk more than a minute without going into 5 minute coughing spasm. I have had it before, but it was accompanied by congestion and bronchitis related. I have been googling too as to causes. Can't wait til 3/2. This has really started to wear me down.

Hope your echo goes well next week, you start to feel better, and you get answers.
                            Kathy

Comment

Another thought on coughing

I had pretty much forgotten this fact. Taking blood pressure meds can also cause coughing. That's all I know.
                              Marti

Comment

Working...
                              X