Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible pregnancy and dye contrast

Hi,
    Have any of you ladies had an MRI with dye contrast, when there was a possibility of pregnancy? I’m scheduled to have an MRI tomorrow, and I know that the MRI is relatively safe during pregnancy, however I’m worried about the possible negative effects that could come with dye contrast. I’m trying to decide if I want to opt out of the contrast just in case. I won’t know if I’ve conceived for several weeks. I figured I would ask those who may have been in this situation. Thank you!
    "Courage is a triumph of the soul..." (Jason Mraz- Anything)

Hi eternalgrace02,

Gadolinium crosses the placenta and may cause risk to the fetus. Therefore,
    the use of gadolinium contrast in pregnant women is not recommended unless the benefit outweighs the risk.

"The safety of gadolinium-based contrast agent (GBCA) exposure during pregnancy has not been established, and the use of GBCAs during pregnancy is not recommended unless it is essential to the health of the woman or fetus."
    https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2019190563

In addition, most U.S. radiology facilities have guidelines for use of gadolinium in pregnant women, including protocols to identify pregnant patients. This includes a screening form asking about potential for pregnancy, direct questioning, and prominently displayed signs asking women to notify radiology staff if they may be pregnant.

Good luck with your MRI and best wishes
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by eternalgrace02 View Post
      I’m trying to decide if I want to opt out of the contrast just in case.
      Something else to consider, from the NMSS website:

Consortium of MS Centers MRI Protocol and Clinical Guidelines

New to the 2018 CMSC MRI protocol and guidelines are recommendations of when to use gadolinium based contrast agents (GBCAs). They recommend using GBCAs in the following circumstances:

*in patients presenting with a first clinical attack (CIS) to facilitate early diagnosis

*in patients with highly active disease

*in a patient whose condition is declining rapidly and unexplained

*in a patient where the diagnosis is uncertain

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Fo...gnostic-Workup

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks, Koko! I know that the dye contrast is helpful in reading and assessing the scans, but it’s such a difficult decision when pregnancy could be a possibility. There’s a very real chance that I could not be pregnant, but if I am, I couldn’t bear the thought of putting my baby at risk. A healthy mama is important for a healthy baby, but my clock is ticking and I’m stubborn! 🤣🤷🏻🙄
        "Courage is a triumph of the soul..." (Jason Mraz- Anything)

Comment

Originally posted by eternalgrace02 View Post
          I know that the dye contrast is helpful in reading and assessing the scans, but it’s such a difficult decision when pregnancy could be a possibility.
          The MRI scan will still show new lesions without the agent, but any lesions that are 'active' (current inflammation) won't be enhanced (brighter) without the contrast dye.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
          X