• Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 02-13-2020

5 checked in this last week.

2 met goals.
    2 met partial goals.
    1 didn't make goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I must say I had a very good week and reached and exceeded my goal!

Babysat twice
    Vacuumed all the hardwood floors and started cleaning wood cabinets in kitchen as my cleaning help cancelled.
    Actually went for a short walk with trekking poles outside on a rare sunny day
    Walked again doing errands and grocery shopping.
    Did 2 days of full PT routine after babysitting. Whew~

And Jer, I forgot to mention that one of the pt exercises also includes crunches with slight elevation using our total gym equipment. Great workout for both legs and arms. My dh has to help me get on and off, but I'm up to 25 crunches.

Next week goal is 5 days of some sort of exercise.

Hope all you goal posters "score" this week!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Scored Goals!

Hi Goalposters

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      I must say I had a very good week and reached and exceeded my goal!

Babysat twice
      Vacuumed all the hardwood floors and started cleaning wood cabinets in kitchen as my cleaning help cancelled.
      Actually went for a short walk with trekking poles outside on a rare sunny day
      Walked again doing errands and grocery shopping.
      Did 2 days of full PT routine after babysitting. Whew~
      Terrific exercise and workout activities, Seasha! I'm glad that you had a very good week, and exceeded your goals!

I had a good week also, and scored all my goals.

Had a couple days that were better than usual, which are always welcome and appreciated.

Don't want to jinx myself here, but want to share that there is significant improvement with lifting my legs in and out of the tub (while in my sliding, swivel seat shower chair). I'm pretty sure that it's due to exercising and stretching.

I'm going to stick with my current goals for now.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good energy and perseverance to all.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Looks like Seasha & I are following in KoKo's footsteps as far as crunches are concerned. Also a good week for me, think I met or exceeded trainers agenda this week.

2x week = 30 minutes Of Cardio (mixed) each. Overall, maybe 1.75 mi ea. day?
        2x week = twisting ab crunches (20 ea. time)
        2x week = 85 & 65 sit-ups on decline bench
        5x week = stretching with wrist wts. and 4 ft pole. 20 minutes ea.

Monday: strength of lower body / legs, seldom used equipment, with varied weight & varied reps. Not bad but think my bad leg didn't seem to be as attentive as I would like....

Tuesday: @ pool, with elastic band, lots of pelvic / hips movement all focused on leg positioning and control. Liked this a lot, trying to lift, open, land leg in same position is not easy. Reps of 30. Leg in combination moves- forward, then to starting position, then out sideways & return to start. Same thing but backward. Repeat. Trainer only says "30" when she sees bubbles.

Thursday: Upper body or arms / hands, ROM not as good as previous week, worked it regardless. Right hand grip (my true weakness) held out. Happy face!

"...want to share that there is significant improvement with lifting my legs" - LOVE to hear this KoKo!

...And a Welcome to a the new Goal Poster I saw mentioned in last week's thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          2x week = 30 minutes Of Cardio (mixed) each. Overall, maybe 1.75 mi ea. day?
          2x week = twisting ab crunches (20 ea. time)
          2x week = 85 & 65 sit-ups on decline bench
          5x week = stretching with wrist wts. and 4 ft pole. 20 minutes ea.

Monday: strength of lower body / legs, seldom used equipment, with varied weight & varied reps. Not bad but think my bad leg didn't seem to be as attentive as I would like....

Tuesday: @ pool, with elastic band, lots of pelvic / hips movement all focused on leg positioning and control. Liked this a lot, trying to lift, open, land leg in same position is not easy. Reps of 30. Leg in combination moves- forward, then to starting position, then out sideways & return to start. Same thing but backward. Repeat. Trainer only says "30" when she sees bubbles.

Thursday: Upper body or arms / hands, ROM not as good as previous week, worked it regardless. Right hand grip (my true weakness) held out. Happy face!
          Excellent week for you Jer! You're working hard.

If you don't mind my asking, is it your left hand that wants to stay closed?

I remember us talking about how I have a difficult time closing my right hand, and you had a difficult time keeping your left hand open. Is that correct? Thanks.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Excellent week for you...
            If you don't mind my asking, is it your left hand that wants to stay closed?

Hey KoKo! It's all right side problems for me. Right hand / arm want to contract. Right leg wants to "pidgin-toe," ...connected to the etc., etc., etc. All growing weaker? Like you...not so sure*.

The hand contraction (grip) is annoying. I have to push a pencil / pen into it to sign my signature, but when exercising, near session end usually, the grip weakens, limiting reps... a set of 30 reps becoming 3 set of 10.

Again... GLAD the leg lifting necessary for tub etc., seemed to be improving. It's funny how we have become so critical of all we do or attempt to do. Every possible improvement reviewed again & again! See above*

My pool workout this week seemed to focus on the hip / pelvic, the hip flexor too... your successful leg lifting may benefit?

Comment

Jer

For some reason I thought that you had left side issues (must be some other guy around here).

Well, we both have right side issues - but my hand wants to stay open and yours wants to stay closed.

My right leg and foot wants to "penguin" while yours wants to "pidgin"!

Kinda funny talking about such things.

Comment

Great hustle Seasha, Koko and Jerry.

I'm still in the same rut...Didn't make goals...
                I got my 2 Jiu Jitsu training sessions in
                Made one out of two yoga sessions
                Zero out of 2 runs

I was able to tighten up on my diet this week which can be considered a fitness goal right?

I did manage to squeeze in a weight training session as well, hit the squat rack Tuesday morning, my legs are still sore! Keep it going!
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                  I got my 2 Jiu Jitsu training sessions in
                  Made one out of two yoga sessions
                  I did manage to squeeze in a weight training session as well, hit the squat rack Tuesday morning, my legs are still sore! Keep it going!
                  Good for you Boudreaux - you were able to fit part of your goals into your busy life.

I was able to tighten up on my diet this week which can be considered a fitness goal right?
                  I would say yes, losing extra weight is a goal that contributes to our physical fitness.

Good luck next week, Boudreaux!

Comment

Hey Bourdeaux!

In agreement here! Even to the point of adjusting your mindset to face the diet issue.

If we all adjust our thinking to recognize that certain things are constant. I mean normal people should recognize the need to use the gifts afforded them... exercise, proper diet, mental facilities etc. In general they fail.

We don't. Every thought "which can be considered a fitness goal right?" we act upon. The stakes are high. Even if the result is endurance, you'll take it, me too.

I figure the mental acuity necessary to act facing any adversity is the first step to fitness.

Jer

Comment

Well, we both have right side issues - but my hand wants to stay open and yours wants to stay closed.

Yeah, this is how I remember the conversation. I remember telling trainer that you have trouble bending your elbow and I could model designer "slings." You used a word (the opposite of contraction)... What word was that?

My right leg and foot wants to "penguin" while yours wants to "pidgin"! Kinda funny talking about such things.

If we can't laugh at ourselves it's going to be a long haul.

J

Comment

Hey Koko,

Maybe not the guy you're thinking of but I have a weak left side, both arms and legs.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Must be you, B - I have a weak left side, but I'm not a guy
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hey Koko,

Maybe not the guy you're thinking of but I have a weak left side, both arms and legs.
                            I remember now, the guy with the same issues but on the opposite side is Rob (ppmsichshize).

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                              Yeah, this is how I remember the conversation. I remember telling trainer that you have trouble bending your elbow and I could model designer "slings." You used a word (the opposite of contraction)... What word was that?
                              Jer, are you referring to flexor vs extensor / flexion vs extension?

Comment

Working...
                              X