Another Remyelination Therapy Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Remyelination Therapy Trial

"Nanomedicine‘s remyelination therapy candidate, CNM-Au8, showed a “robust” ability to stimulate the production of new myelin and increase the number of myelin-wrapped nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord of animals in models of demyelinating disease, allowing mice to recover motor skills, a study reports.

Such preclinical data support the efficacy of this potential treatment, now being tested in clinical trials with multiple sclerosis (MS) patients."

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...tific-reports?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thank you KoKo!

Comment

Enrolling Patients in Texas and Australia

*"REPAIR-MS (NCT03993171) is an open-label Phase 2 trial assessing the safety, pharmacokinetics (availability of the therapy in the body) and pharmacodynamics (its effects) of differing oral doses of CNM-Au8 in 24 adults with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS).

This study is currently enrolling eligible patients at the University of Texas Southwestern. More details can be found here.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...ontactlocation

It is expected to conclude in the fall.
      "

*"Another Phase 2 trial, called VISIONARY-MS (NCT03536559), is investigating the efficacy and safety of CNM-Au8 in up to 150 adults with RRMS, who have chronic vision problems due to lesions (chronic optic neuropathy). This study is also recruiting at nine sites across Australia, and is supported by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Contact and site information is available here.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...ontactlocation

Results from VISIONARY-MS are expected in 2021"
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Wow! Yet another noteworthy study in the news lately! One can hope that this might be the "golden ticket".
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Wow! Yet another noteworthy study in the news lately! One can hope that this might be the "golden ticket".
          Totally agree!

I also found it interesting that participants in the study will drink the medication.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...peutic-cnm-au8
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

This is really great stuff to hear. Thanks for putting this up. The only thing I see that makes me wonder is that the mice weren’t compromised for 10 plus years before they cured them? Very good news though just the same.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Okay, I'm excited!!
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
                The only thing I see that makes me wonder is that the mice weren’t compromised for 10 plus years before they cured them?
                I wonder too, oceanpride.

If the axon (nerve fiber) is badly damaged or destroyed, not sure that a new myelin coating wrapped around it would make it work any better.

But, you never know.

Take Care

Comment

If it works at all then you would hope that it would help even us a little bit. Depending on all the scar tissue I suppose. But you are exactly right “you never know”. Hopefully some day soon we get a chance to find out. Thanks
                  It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
                    If it works at all then you would hope that it would help even us a little bit.
                    Yes, I'm betting that remyelination would help us too (progressive MS).

I'm pretty sure that we have plenty of nerve fibers that aren't so badly damaged yet, and that new myelin would greatly improve the transmission of the nerve signals.

Also, the article mentions that in addition to replacing myelin, this new therapy also has neuroprotective properties. I think this means that the nerve fibers could be protected from further damage, which sounds really encouraging.

Comment

Working...
                    X