Fatigue is beating me to death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue is beating me to death

I know I've come in here with this same question a lot. Maybe there are some new perspectives now.

One of the few things I still enjoy is baking or cooking occasionally but it kicks my butt every time. Stirring or beating or cutting up veggies makes my heart feel tired. By the time I'm done my heart rate is up a little, I'm shaking, my legs are weak, my chest feels fluttery and tired... in general it just exhausts me. Sometimes lightheaded.

I've had my heart checked many times and there hasn't been one doctor who was ever concerned. I AM on blood pressure meds now... started recently. So I guess I should be relieved. But I can't help but wonder if MS can cause this kind of fatigue. I know some of you have felt like this and understand this. But right now I need some reassurance. Again.

I hate to give up absolutely everything in life that keeps me busy. I'm not going down that road if I can help it. But I wonder too, if I am doing damage to myself with these little chores.

Thanks so much guys.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi marti.

It does stink that MS fatigue can limit our enjoyment sometimes.

If the cause is MS fatigue, pushing thru it isn't causing any long lasting issues. With the fatigue, once rested, it is usually back to our baseline.

The trick is just to make sure you are safe and don't make yourself a fall risk or cause other injury. I can't chop when fatigue is bad - don't trust myself to not lose a finger.

Can you sit when you chop things? Likewise, for mixing and rolling? Is it a possibility to get ingredients together, then rest, mix dough, rest again, then bake? Or is it a cookie you can refrigerate dough and make another day? It may take alot longer, but might help manage the fatigue.

I hate to see you give up something you enjoy.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm so sorry, Marti

Have you talked to the Dr about getting on some kinds of medication for fatigue?

I have read up and heard good results from people using Provigil (modafinil) or Symmetrel (amantadine) to ease up fatigue for MS patients.

You might also have a floor or desk fan blowing on you while you prepare and cook in the kitchen. Heat (either from the oven or from heat rising from your own core temperature while working) can cause havoc on our fatigue.

I often feel the same while preparing, cooking and baking, so I have to rest in between steps. I feel for you.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My wife is on

Concerta 36mg. She definitely feels it is very helpful for fatigue.

Comment

Hi marti

When my core body temperature warms up, my physical endurance goes way down.

This is due to MS impaired nerve signals that slow down even more when warm.

I have found that taking bites of frozen fruit buys me a little more time and endurance while I'm up and about doing chores. (Many different types of frozen fruits can be purchased in grocery stores.)

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Hi marti

When my core body temperature warms up, my physical endurance goes way down.

This is due to MS impaired nerve signals that slow down even more when warm.

I have found that taking bites of frozen fruit buys me a little more time and endurance while I'm up and about doing chores. (Many different types of frozen fruits can be purchased in grocery stores.)

Take Care
            Love this idea! I put a cold water bottle on the back of my neck. Definitely have to try the fruit. May try it tonight once the steroid sweats kick in!!!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              Love this idea! I put a cold water bottle on the back of my neck. Definitely have to try the fruit. May try it tonight once the steroid sweats kick in!!!
              Good luck, Kathy!

Also, I discovered that eating something frozen works better (for me) than sipping ice water.

Maybe because it stays in the stomach longer? That's my uneducated guess anyways.

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I was really struggling and started provagil (modafinal) like a month ago and it really did make a difference... I mean not like a miracle drug - but took the edge off the exhaustion.

Comment

Persuaded to try armodafinil

Just my opinion: when diagnosed the daily worst issue (and still is) is fatigue. I read about Modafinil and got some samples. Read about side effects and decided no.
                  Roll on a few years.
                  My new neuro talked me into Modafinil and it was great but I had too many side effects. Boo.
                  Went onto Armodafinil and am LOVING it.

Comment

Working...
                  X