Tefidera reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tefidera reaction

I have been on Tecfidera for about 4 1/2 years. Now I have developed the usual reaction to it - Flushing with tingling on my face and scalp as well as itching redness on arms. No throat tightness of shortness of breath how ever. Some reactions are mild others severe.

People have suggested baby aspirin (ASA 85mg). I have stopped taking Tecfidera and put in a call to the Treatment Nurse at the MS Clinic

Anyone else have anything similar? I mean its been years since I started it (yes I got flushing when I took it)

Thanks

Hi NRJ,

I really can't be of much help as I've never been on Tecfidera, but I thought I'd move your thread to the Tecfidera sub- forum in the Medication and Treatment forum. People who are on DMT's look there more often.

Hopefully someone with experience will reply.
    I'm sorry you are having problems and hope the nurse can help you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Tecfidera reaction

Hi
      I've been on Tecfidera for 5 years. I also experience extreme flushing very occasionally. It's so random. Can't really attribute it to anything I ate or how long after I ate that it occurred.
      It's so seldom that it doesn't bother me. Aspirin can help calm it down though. Overall my experience with Tecfidera hasn't been problem free. Occasional flushing can be managed but if this is new to you a call to your doctor is always a good idea.

Comment

I didn't respond yesterday because I don't have much helpful info to contribute since I have no personal experience with Tecfidera. I hope someone with experience will come along and provide some perspective.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've been on Tecfidera for 5 years. I noticed last year that I would start to flush on my face, chest, arms and it itched. Flushing was never an issue for me in the beginning. I think it was because I had gotten "lazy" with remembering to take the 2nd pill at night. Once I began taking them in the morning and evening, approx. 12 hours apart the flushing went away. Hopefully that helps!
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

A Newbee

I just started Tecfidera 2 weeks. I experienced the flushing when I started the full dose. My doctor told me to take Bayer Aspirin about 30 minutes before I take my pill. I'm new at this, but it seems to be working. I hope, after a few months, to stop taking the aspirin. Sounds like you all still have flushing even after several years. Just the 1 time I experienced flushing, it was very uncomfortable. Red and itchy. Felt like my head was on fire. It seems like, no matter what DMD I'm on, something eventually goes wrong and I have to change to something different. I'm on my 4th med. I hope you get better results soon.

Comment

Working...
            X