Q for those who hire cleaning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q for those who hire cleaning help

I'm finding that cleaning my house is becoming more and more of a challenge. I have hired my dil to clean a few times and pay her. Mostly she vacuums and mops the floors.

For those who have help, how much to you pay them? I have a 1800 sq ft house -half is hardwood/tile flooring and 1/2 carpet.

Just curious...
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I currently pay $50 for a two-hour clean. It's about 1150 square feet. We have a full basement, but he usually only cleans the basement bathroom down there, and does a quick vacuum of my son's bedroom and vaccuums the basement stairs. He vaccuums, mops, dusts, cleans kitchen including unloading dishwasher to counter and reloading (although we do it between visits, we usually leave it fur him on cleaning days), folds laundry (I wash and dry). Kitchen is usually the biggest job.

He used to provide all of the cleaning supplies now, but I provide some now so he'll use all non toxic. The price didn't change with that but it's a relatively minor cost for me because he already used vinegar for some things.

In the past, I've had others. Cost varied from $40 (a college student and I provided all the cleaning supplies) to $75 (they were bonded).

These were all people with their own private business (except the college student). Around here, I've heard that a cleaning company probably charges about double, they might send out more than one person at a time, and you might get someone different every time. They aren't very flexible with schedule either. We have a regular time but we're very flexible with each other if either wants to reschedule.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I currently pay $50 for a two-hour clean. It's about 1150 square feet. We have a full basement, but he usually only cleans the basement bathroom down there, and does a quick vacuum of my son's bedroom and vaccuums the basement stairs. He vaccuums, mops, dusts, cleans kitchen including unloading dishwasher to counter and reloading (although we do it between visits, we usually leave it fur him on cleaning days), folds laundry (I wash and dry). Kitchen is usually the biggest job.

He used to provide all of the cleaning supplies now, but I provide some now so he'll use all non toxic. The price didn't change with that but it's a relatively minor cost for me because he already used vinegar for some things.
      Wow- that's a lot to do in 2 hours. He must be fast! I also supply all the non-toxic cleaners.

I pay her $30/hour as she says she used to be a professional cleaner years ago. I just thought she might give me a break as my dh and I oftentimes babysit for their kids and of course, it's out of love and for free. Maybe I'm being picky. I guess nowadays a professional cleaner would cost much more.

You're lucky to have found yours, Mamabug.

Comment

We pay $75 for two people to do roughly a 2.5 hour clean. They don't do baseboards or windows, but everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Wow- that's a lot to do in 2 hours. He must be fast! ...

You're lucky to have found yours, Mamabug.
          Yes; he is fast.

He's cleaned for me for about 7 years. I don't even want to think about what I'd do if I had to find someone else.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Here in New Jersey near Philly

It’s $50.00 an hour minimum two hours but she does work fast and does a good job.

Comment

Hi Seasha
              We pay $85 for cleaning 1200 sf, two people , 90-120 min , no Windows and no basement

I believe this rate highly depends on state that you live in
              I Live in California and minimum wage is high so the labor for housecleaning is high too

Comment

For those who have help, how much to you pay them? ...Just curious...

Hi Seasha,

I just added a gratitude the other day regarding my housekeeper.

My place is just over 2000 sq. ft. (without separate garage / studio). Mix of floor coverings also.

I was paying $20 an hour, usually she finished in 3 hours give or take. Recently we went to $80 a visit, be it 2, 3 or more hours. She never abuses this arrangement. And I was upfront regarding a 2 hour cleaning appearing not as through as more time. I'm not a messy guy so once a month works fine. We've been at a good place for quite a while.

Makes some cleaners herself. Brings all her own stuff. Takes all waste. Will remove my recyclables too. Windows inside and out. No laundry, never discussed actually. Obviously every window every visit isn't needed. And recycleables removal @ 4 or 5 times a year. But kitchen and all it's contents: spotless, same for the baths!

She is a blessing.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. My dil backed out of cleaning for yesterday as she had a prior engagement she forgot about. This isn't the first time this happened, so I checked with Home Advisor as I wanted some reliable and consistent help.

Because we live in a remote area, there was no help nearby. Guess I'll next ask my friends who live nearby for some suggestions.

Some of the cleaning I do and consider it a form of exercise, but I'm so slow that when one part finally gets clean, it's back to square one again. My husband who has helped in the past has some serious health issues right now, so that's out.

UGH - I just want the whole house to be cleaned at once.

Comment

Because we live in a remote area, there was no help nearby. Guess I'll next ask my friends who live nearby for some suggestions.
                    I'm sorry it didn't work out with your DIL. I hope you find someone else.

UGH - I just want the whole house to be cleaned at once.
                    Yes! That's one of the things I appreciate about having someone else do it. :-)
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I’m in NJ where things tend to be expensive... and my husband insists on a bonded insured service... so for instance if a cleaning person gets hurt in our home it won’t become our problem... so I thing we pay a little more - but we pay $185 - every other week. 3 people come and it takes them like 2ish hours. They bring all their own supplies and equipment.

Comment

Working...
                      X