Avonex and Medicare part D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and Medicare part D

I've been on Avonex since 2008. I'm going to apply for part D coverage because hubby is staying at his job of 47 years only because of the medical coverage. I have 0 copay. I went and discussed my options and Avonex is on the Tier 5 medications. Not covered. My co-pay would be $9000.00 monthly. Spoke to Biogen and they can't give me an answer on assistance until hubby is out of work. Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks
    Allison

Allison

Medicare really stinks when it comes to part D drug coverage. That's partly because drug companies aren't allowed to give rebates to people on Medicare. So you're stuck with the 20 percent copay. My copay for my copaxone is over $6000 a year.

Shared solutions did point me to a list of organizations that give grants that cover your copay costs. The whole process was stressful but I did get the grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Allieh59 View Post
      I've been on Avonex since 2008. I'm going to apply for part D coverage because hubby is staying at his job of 47 years only because of the medical coverage. I have 0 copay. I went and discussed my options and Avonex is on the Tier 5 medications. Not covered. My co-pay would be $9000.00 monthly. Spoke to Biogen and they can't give me an answer on assistance until hubby is out of work. Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks
      Allison
      I got my clinic to do the injection and then I was covered by Medicare B and my supplemental picked up the 20% Medicare B did not cover. That makes 100% coverage. You may want to look into doing that. If you insist on selfinject you cannot use Medicare B.

Comment

Working...
      X