An update on my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update on my life

Well, I haven't been around much for a little bit. It's been quite overwhelming since just shortly before Christmas. I went to a new Orthopedist to see what he would or would not do about my right knee. I have been bone on bone for approximately 3 years and had lost most of my ability to walk due to this.

My new Orthopedist is simply awesome. That first visit he said "your knee is severe" yes I know. "no, it's really severe." He asked if I wanted a new knee or continue injections...new knee please

My surgery was January 27th and home early afternoon on the 28th. I am in PT. My index and thumb (both hands) have gone numb.

This is the first time MS has ever shown it's self after a surgery or procedure. I have not called my Neurologist because, well, as we all know the only thing that "might" be done is steroids and steroids aren't know to help numbness.

On Dec. 30, which is my now 30 year old son's birthday was the day he was diagnosed with Diabetes. He went from being put on Metformin to being told he needed to go on Insulin in just less than a week. He has now been referred to a Endocrinologist with his Drs. telling him he might be Type 1 diabetic. Type one is autoimmune

So there you have it, my life shortly before Christmas.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Well, I haven't been around much for a little bit. It's been quite overwhelming since just shortly before Christmas. I went to a new Orthopedist to see what he would or would not do about my right knee. I have been bone on bone for approximately 3 years and had lost most of my ability to walk due to this.

My new Orthopedist is simply awesome. That first visit he said "your knee is severe" yes I know. "no, it's really severe." He asked if I wanted a new knee or continue injections...new knee please

My surgery was January 27th and home early afternoon on the 28th. I am in PT. My index and thumb (both hands) have gone numb.

This is the first time MS has ever shown it's self after a surgery or procedure. I have not called my Neurologist because, well, as we all know the only thing that "might" be done is steroids and steroids aren't know to help numbness.

On Dec. 30, which is my now 30 year old son's birthday was the day he was diagnosed with Diabetes. He went from being put on Metformin to being told he needed to go on Insulin in just less than a week. He has now been referred to a Endocrinologist with his Drs. telling him he might be Type 1 diabetic. Type one is autoimmune

So there you have it, my life shortly before Christmas.
    Thanks for checking-in, SNOOPY. Been missing you around here!

Glad for you that you have a new knee. Hope recovery and PT go very well.

Sending good wishes that your son is ok, and has a good Endocrinologist to treat him.

Hope you are healing well, and not in pain.

Looking forward to seeing you here more often.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Snoopy!

I've been wondering where you've been, so thanks for the update. I'm so sorry to hear of your surgery and hope you recover quite well. I've had a number of friends who have gotten knee replacement surgery recently and some say it's somewhat of an uphill battle to feel normal again, so I imagine with MS it will take some time and effort to feel better.

Glad you are doing PT and I hope your MS symptoms subside quickly - surgery is a stressor for sure, so please take it easy

And sorry to hear about your son and hope he gets the care he needs.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for checking in with us and letting us know what's going on with you. Yeah, type I diabetes is autoimmune. It's unusual for type I to be dx in adulthood; it's usually pediatric onset. But it happens. I know someone in her mid 30's who'd been misdiagnosed with type Ii for a number of years and they found our it was type I.

I hope the recovery from knee surgery goes better and that you also recover quickly from your flare.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello Snoopy,

Bless your heart, you have been going through too much lately. Perhaps, the stress which goes with those things may have contributed to the symptoms you are experiencing and as things calm down, so too, will these symptoms, especially the numbness. I trust things will get back on track for you and your loved ones. I hope your son will prosper in health and well-being with good doctors helping him.

And, my wish and prayerful expectation is for your own health to flourish beyond your fondest expectations!

Comment

Glad you checked in Snoopy! Hope the knee heals quickly for you. Does it feel better already? A few people who were bone on bone said it didn't take long to feel the difference, even with OT ahead if them.

Sorry to hear about your son. My 10 year old great niece was just diagnosed as well. It does amaze me when I hear an adult was just diagnosed with Type1. Does it seem to fit or was it something that happened really quickly?

I hope both you and your son are doing well and adjusting.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Wow Snoopy you are so brave! I am so impressed that you had your knee done!

I have issues with my left foot that I should address but I keep putting it off. Maybe your post and follow ups on your progress will give me the courage to do something!

I'm sorry to hear about the new numbness hopefully it will abate without the need for treatment. Please keep us posted!

Best wishes! Ei

Comment

Ugh.

So sorry to hear this, Snoopy. I hope things look up from here on out. Thanks for the update. I'll be sending you some good vibes.

Kitty

Comment

Hey Snoopy, I hope your knee heals nicely and rehab. goes well.

I'm sorry about your son having diabetes and I hope he gets good care.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Thank you kittysmith, Myoak, Seasha, KoKo, Leenyi, pennstater, Mamabug

pennstater:
                    My 10 year old great niece was just diagnosed as well. It does amaze me when I hear an adult was just diagnosed with Type1. Does it seem to fit or was it something that happened really quickly?
                    Mamabug:
                    It's unusual for type I to be dx in adulthood; it's usually pediatric onset. But it happens. I know someone in her mid 30's who'd been misdiagnosed with type Ii for a number of years and they found our it was type I.
                    I was not aware that an adult could have Type 1, it surprised me when he told us his Dr. believed this to be the case for him. He had a blood test (c-peptide) which came in low, that along with high blood glucose indicates Type 1 but we are still waiting for his appointment with the Endo to confirm.

Does Type 1 fit? I don't know, I know very little about Diabetes but learning quickly. There is not any family history of Diabetes on either side. What happened was fairly quick, he had had blood work done approximately 6 months ago with results being normal.

Leenyi:
                    Wow Snoopy you are so brave! I am so impressed that you had your knee done!

I have issues with my left foot that I should address but I keep putting it off. Maybe your post and follow ups on your progress will give me the courage to do something!
                    Not sure I was that brave just simply done out of desperation. My knee was quite painful and the medications (Meloxicam, and prescription knee gel) didn't even come close to touching the pain.
                    You have the courage within you to see a Podiatrist about your foot, I know you can do it.

I have pain but it's a different type of pain from before the surgery. I believe PT is for torturing people LOL! I will work with PT the same has I have done anytime I go in for PT. I am hopeful that at the end of my 6 to 8 weeks of PT I will see the benefit of it all.

When having knee replacement they go in and move everything around the knee (muscle, nerves, fat) so the can get to the knee. For this reason you loose muscle strength and nerve pain is possible. It will take time to rebuild muscle but as of this morning my PT said I was doing good...woohoo! Slow and painful but looking towards a good outcome.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am sure you will push through PT. My mom had both and was diligent about PT later on her own. She did great. My aunt, did the minimal PT and while 8 years younger than Mom, walked 10 years older. Much less mobility.

Yup, PT can be torture. But well worth it.

Keep us updated!
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Snoopy,
                        KoKo said it all and very well for me
                        Thinking of you
                        Linda
                        Linda

Comment

Hi Snoopy,

Welcome back!

Three years is a long time to suffer with a knee like that. My brother is dealing with the same thing right now and can hardly walk, and he doesn't have MS or mobility issues. (He had no idea anything was going on until a cyst in knee burst 4 months ago; his doc told him the cyst was acting like a cushion.)

I'm glad you found an orthopedic doctor you like, and got a new knee! I hope your recovery goes well, pain goes away, and walking improves soon! Good luck with PT. I'm sure you'll give it your all knowing how important it is.

Surgery has triggered a couple of bad relapses for me. Makes me a bit nervous to think about my surgery to replace my baclofen pump later this year. I hope yours resolves soon without further symptoms.

I'm sorry about your son. I hope he finds the right doctor for his medical care and adjusts to his new life as a diabetic soon.

I know 2 people who were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as adults. One is my cousin's husband, diagnosed several years after they got married. He has no family history of it. My cousin has been a Type 1 diabetic since age 5 (family history, her grandfather). What are the odds of that? They have a daughter now who was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

Wishing a better year ahead for you and your loved ones!
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                            Slow and painful but looking towards a good outcome.

Hi Snoopy,

We push through somehow don't we?

I'll add my prayers toward the good outcome ahead for both you and your son.

Jer

Ps. Get them trekking poles out! Spring will be here soon, if I listen to our local rodent....

Comment

Thank you REG53, lindaincolorado, Kimba22, 502E79

502E79:
                              Ps. Get them trekking poles out! Spring will be here soon, if I listen to our local rodent....
                              LOL! As soon as I can get rid of the walker (no wheels for me) I'm grabbing the Trekking Poles

Kimba22:
                              My brother is dealing with the same thing right now and can hardly walk, and he doesn't have MS or mobility issues. (He had no idea anything was going on until a cyst in knee burst 4 months ago; his doc told him the cyst was acting like a cushion.)
                              Ouch! A bad knee can certainly affect mobility. My surgeon expects the knee to be the cause for my deteriorated mobility. So, hopefully mobility will improve the more I recovery.
                              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X