Seasonal Relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasonal Relapse

Just curious if anyone has noticed their relapses occur the same time each year.

RRMS since 2017 in Kansas where we experience all 4 weather seasons. My initial symptoms became prominent May/June 2017. Did well until May/June 2018, new relapse with new symptoms and MRI lesions. Same thing in 2019 with new relapse likely although I did not repeat MRI.

As we get closer to Spring I'm a little apprehensive and hoping I don't have a relapse. I'm not aware of any other obvious stressors around that time of year. My MS is very heat sensitive, but May and June should be better on me than the hell that is July and August.

Thanks for any replies

For me, no rhyme or reason to the season.

Do you catch a cold or virus that time of year too? I think half my relapses were preceded by some illness.

Any chance that you wear yourself down in the spring? I know for me, spring cleaning, swapping seasonal clothes, gardening, feeling like I should be outside, etc... I used to push so hard, now, spring cleaning is the entire spring, not just a few days or weeks. Thankfully, my husband does the harder stuff as well.

Here's hoping spring of 2020 breaks the cycle for you!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven't had a relapse in 12 years (Now SP), but I clearly remember having them in the beginning of spring and fall. Here's an interesting article I found from Scientific American -

"Multiple sclerosis (MS) relapses are known to swing with the seasons. Scientists have attributed these fluctuations to the rise and fall of vitamin D production, which is triggered by exposure to seasonal sunlight. Now a new study suggests that melatonin, a hormone that regulates your internal body clock and sleep cycles, could also play a protective role."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ple-sclerosis/
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi MDvsMS,

I've had more relapses in the spring and summer, but that may be coincidental for me. But, this has been mentioned here before. Research suggests this may be linked to the hormone melatonin.

Here is more information for you:

Researchers Report that Melatonin is Linked to Seasonal Relapse Rates in MS

September 15, 2015

Researchers in Buenos Aires and Boston report that levels of the internal-clock hormone melatonin were higher in fall and winter, and that these higher levels were linked with lower relapse rates in people living with MS.

The team also found that melatonin reduced symptoms of the MS-like disease EAE in mice, reduced immune-cell production of inflammatory immune messengers and increased an anti-inflammatory messenger.

Taken together, these studies identify melatonin as one of several factors that may play a role in MS immune responses. However, more research is needed because taking melatonin supplements has been associated with side effects and interactions with other medications.

The studies were funded by the National MS Society, International Progressive MS Alliance and other agencies, recently reported in Cell (September 10, 2015, 162, 1338-1352).
        https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...-Linked-to-Sea

Here's another link: https://mssociety.ca/research-news/a...al-ms-relapses

Hoping this spring breaks the cycle for you.
        Last edited by KoKo; 02-05-2020, 04:11 PM. Reason: poster request
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for the responses and links to the melatonin article. I took melatonin a couple of years ago to try and help with sleep. Probably took it too close to planned bedtime and assumed it didn't work. I found Excedrin PM much more effective with it's diphenhydramine for sleep.

I read more about melatonin this afternoon and also came across Rocky Mountain MS Center article that melatonin could activate the immune responses and was not recommended for routine use in MS. Being a physician I'm well aware of all the contradictory opinions on topics over time. Eggs are bad, no eggs are good. Hormone replacement in all women, no hormone replacement is evil. Avoid cholesterol in food, actually your body makes the cholesterol so go ahead and eat it.

I will probably start some melatonin in March to do my best to ward off a summer relapse. Curious how many of you take melatonin and if you take it year round?

I'm an orthopedic surgeon so this medical advice is free and incontrovertible. All adults should stay off hoverboards. Your welcome. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X