Flu Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu Shot

Just curious, how many MSers get their annual flue shots? My PCP has always been somewhat reluctant as my DMT suppresses my immune system (as all do). But, most say it's better to get it than to not get it. Confused? Do you get it yearly?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Hello dm0329

Yes I get a flu shot every year, have for many years. My neuro said if I get the flu, it would be a killer. I know that was just a figure of speech meaning I could get very very sick because of my suppressed immune system. Also it could cause a relapse.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

The flu shot is recommended. It is not a live virus shot. The live virus shots are the ones that are not recommended. You should have your neuro educate your PCP.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

From the nationality multiple sclerosis society

"Clinicians should recommend that patients with MS receive the influenza vaccination annually, unless there is a specific contraindication (e.g., prior severe reaction)."

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Fo...S/Immunization

Comment

I dont get one. Haven't for years and I've only had the flu once (last year) and although I was down for a week, I recovered.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Yes, I get my flu shot every year. I have also been on several different DMTs, including Tysabri and Ocrevus.

Unfortunately, I still got the flu late December. It lasted for 3 weeks.

Some of my symptoms were milder than others in my household, but the cough and fevers were much harder on me because of my MS.

The link Marco provided gives more clarity regarding vaccines and MS.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I do not get my flu shot and i haven't (knocking on wood) ever received it. I do not like adding anything else to my body as i feel like i put enough in it as is.

My PCP was pushing for it but then when i kept telling her no she said it may not matter anyway due to the medicine i'm on.

Personal preference. Just be extra cautious with hand washing and being around those who may be ill if you don't get the shot.
              Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
              Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

I haven't had a flu shot or the flu in years. Probably taking a chance, but I don't get out around a lot of people much so right now I'm rolling with it.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I got my flu shot annually from 1994-2018. I started getting it when it was required for a job and continued because my doctor recommended it.

This is the first year I didn't get one. My functional medicine doctor is against them. I still got it last year, but by this year I assumed my body might be healthy enough to fight off a virus. I've been taking elderberry syrup as a preventative. So far, so good. I've had an occasional cold but no flu.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yep I get the flu shot every year.

I'm also on Amantadine which i have been told it can help keep you from getting sick.

Haven't had the flu in years knock on wood.

Comment

I have gotten a flu shot for probably 20+ years; been on Tysabri 13+ years
                      Linda

Comment

I always get a Flu Shot

I get flu shots every year. I was advised not to get a live virus however. In Alberta Flu shots are free and they are usually dead-virus injection. The only live virus offered as an alternative is the nasal spray vaccine. I avoid those

Comment

Working...
                        X