UTI be gone already!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI be gone already!!

I have a UTI and I've had it since before Thanksgiving! I can't seem to get rid of . It has wreaked havoc on my MS! They say the bacteria that is causing it is Eboli. Has anyone l had a UTI they couldn't get rid of and what did you do about it?

I guess I need to elaborate some. This thing has put me in the hospital for a week then move to a nursing home for 20 days. Tried to do physical therapy while I was in there but where I still am having the infection it is messing with my strength to do exercises and I'm not getting any better. This thing hit me from head to toe. I was on a Merry-Go-Round for two solid weeks! I have been constantly urinating for two solid months! Just need to know has anybody else ever went through this?

Comment

That sounds terrible!
      You obviously have had medical care Maybe drinking cranberry juice might help. I drink vodka cranberry and orange juice it keeps infections away plus they're very refreshing! good for your mood too!
      Best wishes. Ei

Comment

UTI's is one thing where I believe in a combination of traditional medicine (whatever antibiotics your doctor recommends, etc) and complementary medicine.

I'd encourage you to go to a health food store and purchase some Uva ursi and some D-Mannose. The alternative medicine people I talk to have recommended fairly high doses for me when dealing with a UTI. But I'm so not qualified to give you any specific recommendation. I encourage you to find a kinesiologist or someone who does "muscle testing" or Chinese medicine to advise you. Perhaps your health food store would have someone they could recommend to you.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Oh My, I am so sorry you are having trouble getting rid of a UTI. I have a lot of uti's sometimes back, to back, to back. My problem mostly is retention, it is called nerugentic bladder. I was self cathing once a day now I am doing it 3 times a day and It has helped so far. The last time I had a infection from e coli, I took Chipro antibiotic.

Have you been tested for retention? Are you drinking a lot of water?

I pray you get better soon.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by LadyChevy2 View Post
            I guess I need to elaborate some. This thing has put me in the hospital for a week then move to a nursing home for 20 days. Tried to do physical therapy while I was in there but where I still am having the infection it is messing with my strength to do exercises and I'm not getting any better. This thing hit me from head to toe. I was on a Merry-Go-Round for two solid weeks! I have been constantly urinating for two solid months! Just need to know has anybody else ever went through this?
            Hi LadyChevy2,

I hear you, and I'm sorry. You poor thing.

I've been in a similar situation with several recurrent, back to back UTIs. Three of them led to sepsis, once the sepsis led to a heart infection. The cycle of hospital, nursing home, back to hospital, back to nursing home lasted several months. For me antibiotics cleared up the infections, but shortly afterward would get a new one. On top of that, I got very weak like you. I became bedridden. It was awful.

I finally broke the cycle of UTIs after learning how to self cath. Testing revealed I was still retaining urine even after urinating, and that my bladder muscle doesn't work properly. Infections thrive in that environment.

Leaking urine is a common symptom when you retain urine because your bladder is full. Sorry you are experiencing this.

I have a UTI and I've had it since before Thanksgiving! I can't seem to get rid of . It has wreaked havoc on my MS! They say the bacteria that is causing it is Eboli. Has anyone l had a UTI they couldn't get rid of and what did you do about it?

E Coli is responsible for almost 90% of UTIs. It lives in the GI tract, and is transferred to the urethra via stool. Cipro and Bactrim are the most common antibiotics used to treat it.

Treatment might be a higher dose of antibiotics, such as an IV course.

Drink plenty of liquids, (2 to 3 L per day), preferably water. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it's important to flush out your kidneys.

An indwelling catheter for leakage

Adequate nutrition

unsweetened cranberry juice, cranberry supplements, or dried cranberries

D Mannose

Vitamin C

Antibiotic resistant bacteria are caused by repeated use of antibiotics. This may be the case for you. Have they tried more than one antibiotic with you?

Further testing by a urologist will reveal the cause as to why your bladder is not working properly, making you susceptible to urinary tract infections. There could be a blockage, narrowing of the urethra, etc. Your doctor will then be able to treat you appropriately. I'd recommend you see a urologist as soon as possible.

I hope you beat this infection soon and best of luck to you.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I have been treated with keflex and augmentin. I've requested several times be put on Cipro because that is the one antibiotic that seems to wipe out the infections. For some reason the doctors will not prescribe it. I just don't know why doctors will not listen to their patients sometimes. I feel if I was put on Cipro I could wipe this infection out

Comment

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I don't know what is going to take to get prescribed Cipro. I have been put on keflex and augmentin but no relief.I have requested to be put on Cipro but for some reason they always prescribe something else. Cipro is the one antibiotic that is always work for me with great fast relief. I don't know sometimes doctors just don't want to listen to their patients when they know what has always work for them. Hoping my family doctor will listen to me and put me on Cipro. Will let you know how it goes

Comment

Another thing you can try is a probiotic.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I don't know what is going to take to get prescribed Cipro. I have been put on keflex and augmentin but no relief.I have requested to be put on Cipro but for some reason they always prescribe something else. Cipro is the one antibiotic that is always work for me with great fast relief. I don't know sometimes doctors just don't want to listen to their patients when they know what has always work for them. Hoping my family doctor will listen to me and put me on Cipro. Will let you know how it goes
                  That's terrible

I would expect your family doctor to listen to you better than the nursing home doctors, or at least explain why not. Best of luck!
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I am curious why they don't give you Cipro.

I hope your family Dr. listens to you so you can get better.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                    X