X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise check in thread 01-30-2020

5 checked in this last week.

4 met goals.
    1 (me) neglected to report on goals. Oops. I think I did OK, but I don't remember.

We had some good discussions last week:

- "Having the good days, where moving around is smoother than usual, inspires me to remain committed to exercise. And having the difficult days, where moving around is more challenging than usual, also inspires me to remain committed to exercise." And, yes -- "the reason that tougher, more challenging days inspire me to exercise is due more out of fear of getting 'worse' and not being able to move my limbs at all", but that is having a good attitude and perspective, instead of falling into a woe-is-me attitude.

- A team name? Great idea! Any suggestions?

- "do you think that part of the reason that membership in our exercise group is small may be the fear of actually seeing the physical toll our bodies have experienced? Old me vs. new me? I know the ups and the downs from doing what we each choose to do to allay progression. I enjoy our routines, cheerleading & our 'teamwork.' "

- "Guess I could simply write down my accomplished goals at home on chart (remember sticker charts as a child ) but to set down a goal for others to view is more effective for me."
    Yes! I agree with this. When this group dissolved for awhile a few years ago, because of low participation, my exercise decreased. Keeping myself accountable was the exact reason that I started it up again. You are all awesome. Just posting here every week keeps me going.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Didn't make goals

Total steps = 12,313 Avg steps = 1759 per day
    Exercised only 1x this week:
    - Chair Yoga

Weather was bad some days, I didn't want to get out. I wasn't feeling great; mostly just cold symptoms, but my energy and motivation were real low.

On the flip side, I got an FIR Infrared sauna dome. I've been using that for an hour or more a day (part of it the morning before I get up; part of it at naptime). I've often been doing a bit of meditation during a small part of that time. And, I've still had a healthy diet. Actually, I'm re-reading Wahls Protocol more carefully, one chapter per week and working on occasional extra strategies from there. So, I'm still focusing on health -- just went way backwards on exercise for a week. Hopefully, this week will be better and I can do all of the above.

Goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
    - Include both some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hope your energy level springs back up, Mamabug, and you feel better!

I only made a partial goal myself. I did babysit 2 mornings and went to Yoga class, but did not succeed in meeting my PT goals. We're having out of state company for the weekend, so time instead was spent in getting house cleaned and preparing a couple meals and a dessert ahead of time to freeze for when they come.

I hope you all keep moving and stretching this next week!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello Team (?)

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Weather was bad some days, I didn't want to get out. I wasn't feeling great; mostly just cold symptoms, but my energy and motivation were real low.
        Mamabug, it's probably best to take it easy when not feeling well. Hope you're able to get back into your exercises this week. We're rooting for you!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I only made a partial goal myself. I did babysit 2 mornings and went to Yoga class, but did not succeed in meeting my PT goals. We're having out of state company for the weekend, so time instead was spent in getting house cleaned and preparing a couple meals and a dessert ahead of time to freeze for when they come.
        Seasha, Partial goals are good! Cleaning house and preparing extra meals would be
        workouts for me!

I was able to accomplish goals, thankfully. There was one day, for reasons unknown, that I was really dragging. Moving about took a greater deal of effort. So, I used that particular day as one of my two rest days, and was back to my 'usual' self after that.

I'm grateful that it was only a one day event! The other exercise days went well. I will stick with the same goals at this time.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Peace of mind, good energy, and perseverance to all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          When this group dissolved for awhile a few years ago, because of low participation, my exercise decreased. Keeping myself accountable was the exact reason that I started it up again.

I agree and also like Seasha's comment about setting goals for others to view, using it to apply herself. And there are times that seeing what others do, I've adapted or altered their routines for my use. win / win !

The week....

3x @ week = Cardio (1.75 miles each day on mixed equipment / Treadmill / elliptical / stepper.
          5x @ week = stretching using pole and wrist weights 20 minutes ea.
          2x this week with the abs 119 and 50 reps respectively.

Monday: 90 minutes, lower body, legs went well but exhaustion at end = failure on 45 degree leg press apparatus, even without weight! Sigh.
          Tuesday: 60 minutes pool / 15 minutes hot tub!!: Used bands, a lot of stretching, good session.
          Yesterday: 90 minutes, arms, but reps @ 30 and less weight throughout allowed for a happy camper. Also grip lasted, love when that happens.... I think she throws me a bone once in a while, to keep my spirits up, you know?

Still thinking about a name too. Actually trying to get Ministry of Funny Walks out of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            The week....

3x @ week = Cardio (1.75 miles each day on mixed equipment / Treadmill / elliptical / stepper.
            5x @ week = stretching using pole and wrist weights 20 minutes ea.
            2x this week with the abs 119 and 50 reps respectively.

Monday: 90 minutes, lower body, legs went well but exhaustion at end = failure on 45 degree leg press apparatus, even without weight! Sigh.
            Tuesday: 60 minutes pool / 15 minutes hot tub!!: Used bands, a lot of stretching, good session.
            Yesterday: 90 minutes, arms, but reps @ 30 and less weight throughout allowed for a happy camper. Also grip lasted, love when that happens.... I think she throws me a bone once in a while, to keep my spirits up, you know?
            Love reading your check-ins, Jer!

Great workout routines, nice variety!
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I was able to accomplish goals, thankfully. There was one day, for reasons unknown, that I was really dragging. Moving about took a greater deal of effort. So, I used that particular day as one of my two rest days, and was back to my 'usual' self after that.
              Good strategy KoKo and glad you were able to accomplish your goals!

And Jer Wow! what a great workout routine!!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Still thinking about a name too. Actually trying to get Ministry of Funny Walks out of my head.
                How about Ministry of Stumble Feet (or feat)?

MS Feet (or feat)

I think I have too much time on my hands ya, think?

Comment

Team Fatigue.
                  Nice job everyone. Keep dos on a successful week Seasha, Koko and Jer.

Hope you’re feeling better soon Mamabug.

I still haven’t been able to focus on my exercise as much as I’d like but work and family keep me busy.

Got my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu in.... check
                  1 four mile run, goal was 2 three mile runs
                  Zero out of 2 yoga sessions

Lagniappe....I was able to get a good rowing session in, 1 weight training session and I averaged 8k steps a day. I’m calling it a successful week. Keep it going.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Got my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu in.... check
                    1 four mile run, goal was 2 three mile runs
                    Zero out of 2 yoga sessions

Lagniappe....I was able to get a good rowing session in, 1 weight training session and I averaged 8k steps a day. I’m calling it a successful week. Keep it going.
                    Looks successful to me also!

Super effort from you, Boudreaux - as the working, family man on our team!

Comment

Team Fatigue

I can see this. Certainly describes me after a session... sometimes before too :-)

Lagniappe....

Makes me love access to the dictionary feature! Great word! and looks like a nice enough week with the exercise too Boudreaux!

Working off Seasha's "Ministry of Stumble Feet (or feat)?.... Daytrippers?

Or from KoKo's Team something.... Team Effort?

Or maybe Mamabugs thread could be called.... Goalposts?

A sleepless night also produced: Busy Bodies, Preservation Society, and Body Works

Now I ask you Seasha... Who's got too much time on their hands?

Comment

Lots of good suggestions for a team name! I'll have to re-read them and do some thinking on them.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Daytrippers..... I like it.
                          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Daytrippers..... I like it.
                            I like Daytrippers also.

Goal Posts is very clever - since we do post our goals, and could even be tweaked to Goal Posters

Comment

Working...
                            X