Clear All

Exercise check in thread 01-23-2020

checked in this last week.

3 met goals.
    1 met partial goals.
    1 met modified goals.

Good job!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Accomplished Goals

Hello everyone

My week went well, and I accomplished my exercise goals. Feeling grateful for this.

ADL's and other daily chores went very smooth again. I love when that happens!

Having the good days, where moving around is smoother than usual, inspires me to remain committed to exercise.

And having the difficult days, where moving around is more challenging than usual, also inspires me to remain committed to exercise.

I genuinely enjoy exercising. It gives me a sense of control. And I'm sure that the fact that I have been physically active my entire life also helps (bike riding, tennis, physically demanding jobs, etc).

In any case, I'm staying with the current goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Perseverance and good energy to all.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      And having the difficult days, where moving around is more challenging than usual, also inspires me to remain committed to exercise.
      Wow what a good attitude and perspective, KoKo. Some of us would just give up! You are such an inspiration

I made my goal of doing some some sort of exercise for 5 days. Even though I didn't get a chance to babysit this past week, I ran errands with dh and used his arm and my cane for walking one day, mopped all the tile floors in my house, grocery shopped and finally made it to Yoga class after it was closed for weeks due to snow. My dh is experiencing lots of back pain due to bulging disk, so I vacuumed the large living room which was desperately needed and something he usually does. Oh - and did some PT 5 days too!

I'd say I had a good week. Like you, KoKo, feeling very grateful for this.

Keep on moving everyone!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        Wow what a good attitude and perspective, KoKo. Some of us would just give up! You are such an inspiration
        I must admit, the reason that tougher, more challenging days inspire me to exercise is due more out of fear of getting 'worse' and not being able to move my limbs at all, rather than being due solely to having a good attitude and perspective.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I made my goal of doing some some sort of exercise for 5 days. Even though I didn't get a chance to babysit this past week, I ran errands with dh and used his arm and my cane for walking one day, mopped all the tile floors in my house, grocery shopped and finally made it to Yoga class after it was closed for weeks due to snow. My dh is experiencing lots of back pain due to bulging disk, so I vacuumed the large living room which was desperately needed and something he usually does. Oh - and did some PT 5 days too!
        Fantastic! - These are total-body physical exercises, Seasha!
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks, KoKo - I know what you mean. Year after year (30 years and counting), it is harder to maintain. I feel like I'm walking thru mud half the time. But, I'm still moving any way I can. I'm so grateful for this group to keep me motivated.

Comment

motivation!

Have to agree with Seasha regarding motivation. It's team spirit. May I say a kind of Special Olympics? We set the goals or like me, participate and then share the ups and downs of our attempts.

Even when I appear inconsistent and... "walking thru mud half the time" You gotta laugh.

This week I noticed a few happy faces (her "Good Housekeeping" seal), on my trainers chart. Nothing really, but... still motivated. I want more!

Monday: Only cardio equipment, then a leg session with 5 lb ankle weights and band resistance only. Good but hard.
            Tuesday: Same ankle weight, but in pool. Not as successful in my opinion, but an effort was made.
            Thursday: Cardio equipment, then arm day, upper body equipment, all or many routines above shoulder (v. hard for my spastic arm). Yet... smiles all around with good ROM & my grip held!

5x @ week stretching (20+ minutes ea).
            2x this week on decline bench sit ups 100 ea.

So as KoKo said in a great post, Perseverance and good energy to all.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Have to agree with Seasha regarding motivation. It's team spirit. May I say a kind of Special Olympics? We set the goals or like me, participate and then share the ups and downs of our attempts.
              We should think of a team name for ourselves.

Monday: Only cardio equipment, then a leg session with 5 lb ankle weights and band resistance only. Good but hard.
              Tuesday: Same ankle weight, but in pool. Not as successful in my opinion, but an effort was made.
              Thursday: Cardio equipment, then arm day, upper body equipment, all or many routines above shoulder (v. hard for my spastic arm). Yet... smiles all around with good ROM & my grip held!

5x @ week stretching (20+ minutes ea).
              2x this week on decline bench sit ups 100 ea.
              Terrific workouts, Jer!

Comment

Looks like everyone had a good week, way to hustle guys. Sorry for the late check in, been a little busy at work.

I got my 2 days of Jiu jitsu in
                Made one 4 mile run (goal was two 3 mile runs)
                Also made my 2 yoga sessions goal.

The VA offers free yoga to veterans on Fridays at noon so I dropped in to check it out. There's a yoga studio in town that offers free drop ins for Vets twice a week so I might check it out if I get a break in the action at work. Keep it going.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                  I got my 2 days of Jiu jitsu in
                  Made one 4 mile run (goal was two 3 mile runs)
                  Also made my 2 yoga sessions goal.
                  Simply marvelous, Boudreaux!

The VA offers free yoga to veterans on Fridays at noon so I dropped in to check it out. There's a yoga studio in town that offers free drop ins for Vets twice a week so I might check it out if I get a break in the action at work. Keep it going.
                  That's wonderful! Hope you can get the time to take advantage of this offer.

Comment

LThe VA offers free yoga to veterans on Fridays at noon so I dropped in to check it out. There's a yoga studio in town that offers free drop ins for Vets twice a week so I might check it out...

I like the yoga routines! A test of my patience. Let us know how things go Boudreaux and keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      We should think of a team name for ourselves.

I lean toward humor. And think it could be a mental workout to take a shot at this..... Because MS can be funny... At least until it's not.

Do not know if you're serious KoKo, and I don't want to sound overly serious myself, but do you think that part of the reason that membership in our exercise group is small may be the fear of actually seeing the physical toll our bodies have experienced? Old me vs. new me?

I know the ups and the downs from doing what we each choose to do to allay progression. I enjoy our routines, cheerleading & our "teamwork."

It is possible that experiencing "the bad day"... along with the hard work necessary, could feed the pessimist, the depressed? The words "what if" aren't spoken in this thread but even we cannot dismiss the thought.

So, to those that are working to allay depression. Join us or Name us!... Be lighthearted, we are.

Comment

I lean toward humor. And think it could be a mental workout to take a shot at this..... Because MS can be funny... At least until it's not.

Do not know if you're serious KoKo, and I don't want to sound overly serious myself, but do you think that part of the reason that membership in our exercise group is small may be the fear of actually seeing the physical toll our bodies have experienced? Old me vs. new me?
                        Yes, and also maybe other possible reasons:

Some get plenty of exercise with their daily activities, and might not think of that as counting towards physical workout.

Some find certain exercises getting more difficult, and don't want to change or modify goals.

Some don't understand how important it is to move the body, and that any type of ROM, regular body stretches, or other regular activities are beneficial.

Some suffer from fatigue or depression, and have a difficult time getting started with an exercise routine.

Some just simply lose interest.

Some don't like physical exercise.

I know the ups and the downs from doing what we each choose to do to allay progression. I enjoy our routines, cheerleading & our "teamwork."
                        Yes, I do too!

Comment

Yes to all that but some, like me, need to be here to show accountability.

Guess I could simply write down my accomplished goals at home on chart (remember sticker charts as a child ) but to set down a goal for others to view is more effective for me. It's a stretch, but kinda like accountability of WW meeting or attending an AA meeting. JMHO.

I am one who would probably not concern myself of getting some form of exercise, but being a part of this group helps me stay focused. The "What If" part of exercise is to realize that if I didn't put an effort, I might just lose the muscle strength and flexibility I've built up. Plus, I give myself a pat on my own back for effort

Comment

I take the disease of Multiple Sclerosis seriously, but I try not to take myself too seriously.

I lean toward humor also, but am aware that not everyone else does.

Comment

Working...
                            X