Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye twitching & other symptoms

Hello,

I would welcome any feedback about symptoms I have been experiencing for about two years. I will only list some of them. They include:

:twitching in left eye, sometimes accompanied by twitch is on the same side of my mouth
    :visible twitching in other muscles
    :for a week I had involuntary movement in my left thumb and outer hand every night when I went to bed
    : over-emphasis in reflexes at times, causing me to throw or jerk with my hands unintentionally
    eriodic tingling and numbness in arms, feet and legs

There are more, but these are the most obvious right now. The eye twitching has been multiple times a day, all day, every day, for several months now. Sometimes the upper and lower lids move together and feel more like a pulling than twitching. I did see a neurologist last year who specializes in MS, and told her all of my symptoms, including some not listed here. She suggested they could be caused from arthritis, since she said I have arthritis in my knees and thus probably my neck. She did say I could get MRI’s, but I haven’t done that yet due to the expense.

Do these symptoms (again, this is not a complete list) raise a red flag with any of you? Do you think I should pursue?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Welcome nbw07.

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing unexplained symptoms. I know it can be disconcerting.

I have had twitching in my eye, jerking of the legs, tingling and numbness. But I am sure you know, there are other diagnosis besides MS that can also cause these symptoms. Along with physical conditions, depression and anxiety can also manifest into physical symptoms.

I am sure that your neurologist's hands are kind of tied without an MRI. Did they do any blood work? If not, that may be a starting point, making sure no vitamin deficiencies, Lyme's, etc...

Since your symptoms seem to be ongoing intermittently for two years, the MRI may be warranted.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello nbw

Totally understand your concern about the symptoms that you are having.

Involuntary movements, hyper-reflexes that cause jerking, and numbness and tingling in arms and legs are symptoms that need to be followed up on to determine the cause.

I am also wondering what tests you have had, and what your PCP has said about your symptoms.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi nbw07,

God bless you as you seek the cause for what is happening. I hope the right people and information come your way to gain an accurate diagnosis very soon.

I have nothing specific to share regarding those symptoms but it is interesting that you have seen a neuro who specializes in MS. Perhaps, she/he would be willing to work with you on the cost of an MRI if you do not have insurance. Most MS neuros utilize MRIs frequently and some may give you a huge break if they have a machine onsite and you are paying out-of-pocket for an MRI.

There are a number of possible causes that could be explored regarding your symptoms and I'm not sure how detailed you want to get regarding procedures for diagnosing MS but I will furnish a link for you, if you like, that is quite detailed.

The National Institute for Health Care Excellence (NICE) in the UK published a helpful guide for medical professionals in 2014 which provides a ton of great info regarding the diagnosis and management of MS.

Not that you have MS! But this guide is informative about how medical professionals in the UK might proceed if a patient presented with neurological symptoms, some of which could be like yours.

It may be helpful, it may not. More importantly, perhaps, is the knowledge that others are thinking about you and desiring answers for your questions. I'm a firm believer that the more people thinking in the same direction, the sooner answers come.

Seek and you shall find is a truth established forever and for everyone. If this is more than you seek right now, just ignore it for now or give it a brief look if you wish.

My deepest wish is for your success in identifying and resolving your present health issues

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg1...35109816059077

Comment

Stress is probably the most common cause of eye twitching.

Comment

Working...
          X