fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fatigue

I experienced a level of fatigue I've never had before. I got home after finishing a 12 1/2 hr shift at my job. I didn't even feel like I could lift my arms. Struggled through a shower, got my son ready for bed and just crashed. I thought I knew MS fatigue. I guess I didn't. How do you deal with fatigue?

Hi Kittysmith,

I cannot say that I ever experienced fatigue as you have described. I can say that a long shift like yours would not be possible for me.

Since you accomplished that shift and then risked taking a shower... I'm a bit speechless.

ButI need to say that getting a bit of rest before any questionable behavior (shower) is always a good thing.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
      I experienced a level of fatigue I've never had before. I got home after finishing a 12 1/2 hr shift at my job. I didn't even feel like I could lift my arms. Struggled through a shower, got my son ready for bed and just crashed. I thought I knew MS fatigue. I guess I didn't. How do you deal with fatigue?
      Hi kittysmith

Frequent rest periods and cooling down is the only remedy for my fatigue.

I have progressive MS, and the type of fatigue that I deal with is motor fatigue.

"Motor fatigue: A type of fatigue that occurs in muscles (most often in the legs or arms) that are not receiving adequate nerve impulses due to demyelination.

These muscles may tire quickly with repeated use causing feelings of extreme weakness and recover following a period of rest."

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Na...hould-Know.pdf

There are actually different types of MS fatigue and also various causes.

Overactivity, poor sleep, UTI or viral infection, heat sensitivity, etc. can cause fatigue.

Do you think that you were overactive, compared to your usual activity level?

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Learn your limits (which may change as time goes on) and get the rest you need.

I've been dealing with this for years and only maintained a job as long as I did because I pretty much collapsed every day after I got home. After work, I'd take a nap, take a shower, and go back to bed.

I was lucky enough by that point to have kids old enough to cook the meals and serve me in bed. Laundry and housework were put off until weekends. Groceries were delivered, as often as was practical. Other people did the yardwork and took over the petcare. Dishes were either done by the kids or waited for the weekend.

Hopefully, this was just a bad day for you and not a sign of a new daily routine. But if it is, pare things back so that you're taking care of yourself and getting the rest that your body is now demanding.

Comment

Long Shifts

I've been at the same job, with a hospital, for the past 15 years. 3 twelve hr shifts per week (one of the only jobs that isn't medical but still has nurses' hours). It's hard, but it's so nice to have stretches of time off. That being said, there will come a time when I can't handle these long shifts. We have gotten busier and busier. The job is evolving, which is good (job security). I'm not ready to wave the white flag yet.

Last night, I felt weak and extremely tired. I can't explain it adequately. It was just a tired I have never felt. I was exhausted enough that I didn't have the energy to get mad at my surly teenager. Lol. I did not know there are different types of MS fatigue. That's interesting. MS is one complicated beast.

Comment

I actually had a Neuro apt today and the main topic of conversation was fatigue - which is leading to cognitive issues.

Have you thought about a med? My doctor prescribed me Provigil (Modafinil) just today - actually need to go pick it up now... so I have no comment on if it works - but I'll post back in a week and let you know how it is going for me.

Comment

Have appt

Originally posted by jersey4ever View Post
              I actually had a Neuro apt today and the main topic of conversation was fatigue - which is leading to cognitive issues.

Have you thought about a med? My doctor prescribed me Provigil (Modafinil) just today - actually need to go pick it up now... so I have no comment on if it works - but I'll post back in a week and let you know how it is going for me.
              I see my doc at the end of the month.

Comment

I was on both Amantadine and provigil. Not much benefit from Amantadine. Provigil helped alot, then after multiple dosage increases over time, I didn't get any physical benefit, but helped some cognitively. I stopped taking once I left work.

At the end of my career, I experienced that type of fatigue. Monday would start ok, my midweek, I couldn't lift my arms. My husband had to feed me, brush my teeth, you name it. After a lot of rest, could lift them.

The thing that helps me the most to manage fatigue is exercise. I wouldn't have been able to exercise if working - it is a catch-22v- too tired and weak to exercise, but need the exercise to fight the fatigue🙄

Hope you have a good appointment and discussion.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I totally agree that working and not being able to exercise but needing to exercise is a catch 22 or a vicious circle! I am working 4 days a week now, 9 hours per day and on my 3 day weekends I have all of the chores of keeping up around the house to do as well as working on my old truck which is my therapy. I am active doing my chores and all but can't really do much else due to working and fatigue. I also just had my ankle in a cast (shrunken achilles tendon due to plantar fasciitis and drop foot) for 6 weeks so I didn't do much but sit and telework from home. Now I have bronchitis and can't do much. I am feeling like my health is worsening by the day. I'm going to try and work a little longer but am headed toward disability eventually. Maybe then I can exercise more!

Comment

Originally posted by MS TOO View Post
                    I totally agree that working and not being able to exercise but needing to exercise is a catch 22 or a vicious circle! I am working 4 days a week now, 9 hours per day and on my 3 day weekends I have all of the chores of keeping up around the house to do as well as working on my old truck which is my therapy. I am active doing my chores and all but can't really do much else due to working and fatigue.
                    Hi MS TOO ~

Sounds like you may be getting a very good amount of exercise (physical activity), at this time. I felt fatigue coming on, just from reading your post.

From the NMSS:

"Exercise doesn't have to be a rigorous cardiovascular workout to provide benefits. Physical activity in general is beneficial and can include a variety of things most people can do in the comfort of their home or community.

Physical activity includes but is not limited to:

*gardening
                    *household chores
                    *cooking
                    *walking the dog
                    *taking the stairs instead of the elevator"

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...viors/Exercise

Even though exercise can help fatigue in some cases, overactivity (or doing too much), can trigger bouts of fatigue as well.

Take Care
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello KoKo,

I'm sorry, didn't mean to make you feel fatigued! I know I push myself harder than I should and there are times, especially when it is hot and humid, that I really pay the price and all I can do is get something cool to drink and sit in my recliner, sometimes for hours. When the fatigue hits me I can barely move and my legs feel like they weigh 100 lbs each. I believe part of the reason I keep going sometimes is the combo of ampyra and provigil.

There is a part of me that doesn't want to give in to this disease and I am just plain stubborn! I also keep going so I can better prepare financially for retirement. My wife is already on SSDI and the longer I work the better my annuity will be. I am looking at 2-4 years if I can make it that long. I told my neuro I wanted to work 5 more years and he said that as fast as I am progressing now (SPMS) that I wouldn't make it that long.

One day at a time....

Comment

I know I push myself harder than I should and there are times, especially when it is hot and humid, that I really pay the price and all I can do is get something cool to drink and sit in my recliner, sometimes for hours. When the fatigue hits me I can barely move and my legs feel like they weigh 100 lbs each.
                        I hear ya, MS TOO. I used to be able to PUSH my body, now I can only just push.

There is a part of me that doesn't want to give in to this disease and I am just plain stubborn! I also keep going so I can better prepare financially for retirement. My wife is already on SSDI and the longer I work the better my annuity will be. I am looking at 2-4 years if I can make it that long. I told my neuro I wanted to work 5 more years and he said that as fast as I am progressing now (SPMS) that I wouldn't make it that long.
                        I'm sure you're giving it your best effort. That's pretty much all you can do, unless getting work accommodations or a light duty position would enable you to work a little longer.

One day at a time....
                        Good strategy for some measure of peace and sanity!

Comment

It really is a vicious circle

I try to exercise a little every day. Crunches, leg lifts, squats, some other core exercises. What really wears me out is ordinary things like cleaning the house or shopping. We went to Target over the weekend. When we got home, I had to take a nap. It's frustrating to have to push yourself to your limit just to get things done.

Comment

Yes a vicious circle indeed! My situation is especially bad as I have other medical issues that prevent me from sleeping very much which compounds the fatigue symptoms for me. I also have hyperthyroidism which elevates my resting hear rate (atenolol for that), mild sleep apnea, enlarged prostrate and stress which doesn't allow my brain to turn off. I have so many meds that claim that to cause drowsiness but they don't work that way for me.

My latest sleep study test showed I slept a little over 5 hours and that was a GOOD nights sleep for me. There are many nights that I am lucky to sleep 4 hours. Ughhh!

Comment

That sounds rough.

Yes a vicious circle indeed! My situation is especially bad as I have other medical issues that prevent me from sleeping very much which compounds the fatigue symptoms for me. I also have hyperthyroidism which elevates my resting hear rate (atenolol for that), mild sleep apnea, enlarged prostrate and stress which doesn't allow my brain to turn off. I have so many meds that claim that to cause drowsiness but they don't work that way for me.

My latest sleep study test showed I slept a little over 5 hours and that was a GOOD nights sleep for me. There are many nights that I am lucky to sleep 4 hours. Ughhh!

I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. I fall asleep so hard and then get sort of confused and have to reorient myself when I wake up. I am almost certain that I have sleep apnea. I'll be honest and say I don't want to know of one more thing is wrong with me. I know that sounds irresponsible, but I just can't handle the stress of another diagnosis.

I have depression and anxiety. I've had it all my life. Some of those meds can really wear me down. I can fall asleep easily, but if I wake up, it takes forever to fall back asleep. I average about 5 to 6 hrs which is not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X