• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check In thread 01/09/2020

5 checked in this last week.

3 met goals.
    2 met partial goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals

I'm going to say that I made goals. We set our own goals and decide if we made them or not. 1950 steps per day seems close enough to 2000 to me, and I've been consistently exercising more than 4 days every week.

Total steps = 13,648 Avg steps = 1950 per day
    Exercised 7x this week:
    - Silver Sneakers 1x
    - Chair Yoga 2x
    - Strong Seniors 2x
    - PT at home 2x

Goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else. Include some cardio (Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike, etc) and some strength training (Strong Seniors, PT, etc).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

That’s definitely within the margin of error Mamabug....

I made my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu
      Got my 2 yoga sessions in
      But only got in 1 three mile run

I adjusted my goals last week because I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it to the gym with my wife new schedule but she orientating in recovery which goes in at a later time... I’m back in the gym boo....made it Twice this week.

Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Great job, Mamabug (7 exercise days - woo hoo!) and you too, Boudreaux, for making it back to the gym!

I also had a good week although I didn't make my PT goal. I only got in 2 days (goal was 3-4). But I did babysit twice and got more walking in then I've done in a long time!

1/ Ran errands and forgot my walker and had to use my cane which took a lot more effort.
        2/ Grocery shopping and stocked up on more food than usual for the snow storm that's coming.
        3/ Took granddaughter to a big play area twice with lots of walking.

Also some stretching and yoga and light housework. I am now all out of "spoons" and plan to take it easy tomorrow and read on the couch!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Great job, Mamabug (7 exercise days - woo hoo!)
          We'll ... , 7 times that I exercised, only 5 days. Monday and Wednesday I did two things m. They follow each other at the senior center.

Th - Silver Sneakers
          F - PT
          S -
          S - PT
          M - Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors
          T -
          W - Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I'm going to say that I made goals. We set our own goals and decide if we made them or not. 1950 steps per day seems close enough to 2000 to me, and I've been consistently exercising more than 4 days every week.

Total steps = 13,648 Avg steps = 1950 per day
            Exercised 7x this week:
            - Silver Sneakers 1x
            - Chair Yoga 2x
            - Strong Seniors 2x
            - PT at home 2x
            Great mix of exercises, Mamabug! Terrific job with your goals!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

I made my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu
            Got my 2 yoga sessions in
            But only got in 1 three mile run
            Fantastic job, Boudreaux!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            1/ Ran errands and forgot my walker and had to use my cane which took a lot more effort.
            2/ Grocery shopping and stocked up on more food than usual for the snow storm that's coming.
            3/ Took granddaughter to a big play area twice with lots of walking.

Also some stretching and yoga and light housework. I am now all out of "spoons" and plan to take it easy tomorrow and read on the couch!
            Your day off is certainly well deserved, Seasha! Excellent physical activities!

I can imagine the extra effort needed for using only the cane, rather than the rollator.

(PS - Hope the snow storm weakens or fizzles out!)

I had a good exercise week, and grateful to make goals. Fortunately, I didn't overdo with my new arm exercises, and only had very mild muscle aching. Didn't even need to take an Aleve. Guess we do learn our lessons eventually!

Staying with the current goals:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good energy and perseverance to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Kudos to everyone, appears all have put their best foot forward to start the year.

Mamabug in my way of thinking you stuffed 5 into 7! Nice job! And Seasha, as an aside, my housekeeper has a 7 YO girl, when I hear of all she is into, I get tired. So doing anything with any adolescent should count as 2 days of exercise. Are we in agreement?

Boudreaux & KoKo had strong weeks, me too, although different. My trainers back and week involved showing or telling her some of what I chose to do (or ignore).... And she focused on ROM.

Last session ended with some message work. I tell her that this doesn't really do anything for me (I just don't feel it unfortunately) but she persist. ROM extended into all pool exercise too. Yeah! Pool is back in play!

If my goal was to feel more connected to my body this week, well then I succeeded (read trainer), and like KoKo, I didn't overdo any one thing.

Good start for all !

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                My trainers back and week involved showing or telling her some of what I chose to do (or ignore).... And she focused on ROM.
                Glad to know that your lion tamer is back.

If my goal was to feel more connected to my body this week, well then I succeeded (read trainer), and like KoKo, I didn't overdo any one thing.
                Jer, looks like you had good ROM sessions, and also some pool work.

Feeling connected to your body is great, as long as it isn't via pain!
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

And Seasha, as an aside, my housekeeper has a 7 YO girl, when I hear of all she is into, I get tired. So doing anything with any adolescent should count as 2 days of exercise. Are we in agreement?

Great job for listening to your body and not overdoing it - You too, KoKo!

As far as babysitting goes, my little one is a very active 3 1/2 yo and constantly on the move! We try to take her to places with climbing, running around places - large areas with different areas for different activities. Keeping up with her with my rollator is challenging! I love the moments when she chooses the art projects

Looks like we're on a roll everyone! Keep up the good work
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                  X