Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain Regeneration Impaired in Progressive MS, Unaffected By DMTs, Study Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Regeneration Impaired in Progressive MS, Unaffected By DMTs, Study Reports

Regeneration in the brain is reduced in people with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS), but enhanced during disease activity in those with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS), a study reports.

The results also show that regeneration is unaffected by treatment with disease-modifying therapies (DMTs), as shown by the levels of a regeneration marker in the brain called growth-associated protein 43.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...le-sclerosis/?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks KoKo.

If I understood correctly, this supports that DMTs don't support recovery following a relapse in RRMS or active SPMS. Makes sense, since they are designed to prevent relapses.

I do hope that by identifying a brain recovery protein that inversely correlates with progression and disability may lead to medicines that actually promote brain recovery. For all of us, I hope this to be the case.

If I misunderstood, please correct me!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      If I understood correctly, this supports that DMTs don't support recovery following a relapse in RRMS or active SPMS. Makes sense, since they are designed to prevent relapses.
      It's my understanding also, that the study confirmed that DMT's aren't involved in promoting remyelination.

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      I do hope that by identifying a brain recovery protein that inversely correlates with progression and disability may lead to medicines that actually promote brain recovery. For all of us, I hope this to be the case.
      That would be a most welcome and amazing medicine for sure!

Take Care
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

This report comes with no surprise KoKo. Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully there is some good news coming our way before 2020 is over. Although I’m afraid time is running out...I’m still hopeful...
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
          This report comes with no surprise KoKo. Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully there is some good news coming our way before 2020 is over. Although I’m afraid time is running out...I’m still hopeful...
          I hear you, oceanpride. I'm not surprised by this report either.

Myelin growth protein levels from MS patients' cerebrospinal fluid were studied, and there were significantly lower levels in progressive patients, and higher levels in RRMS patients. Not a surprise.

Also they found that DMT's don't have an effect on these myelin growth protein levels.

Being hopeful doesn't hurt anything, oceanpride, and it feels better.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            It's my understanding also, that the study confirmed that DMT's aren't involved in promoting remyelination.
            This is the year(2020) I had hoped to be starting anti-LINGO-1 before it failed in clinical trials. Others like opicinumab also failed to produce hoped for phase 2 results. There's still some hope for Clemastine, high dose biotin, and others I can't recall.

So many potential treatments have failed over the years, but progress has been made. I hope this year science has a breakthrough for us... if it happened for Hep-C, it can happen for us too.

I am reminded that the blood test to determine what DMT we would respond best to and the vaccine to prevent MS are both overdue.

I wish you all well....

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
              So many potential treatments have failed over the years, but progress has been made. I hope this year science has a breakthrough for us... if it happened for Hep-C, it can happen for us too.
              Hi Marco ~

You make a great point about progress being made.

It seems like there are countless research studies and clinical trials going on, from countries all over the world.

Also, the fact that the research is focusing more on the particulars of demyelination and remyelination is really encouraging.

Maybe 2020 will be the scientific breakthrough year - it could happen!

Take Care

Comment

Working...
              X