Spent the night in the E/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the night in the E/R

Not sure what happened here. For some reason I checked my blood pressure Thursday evening. It was high. So I took half of a Xanax. Waited and checked it again. It was higher still. Waited longer and it had gone up more. By the time I stopped checking it the reading was 190/92. So called my son and in we went. When they checked it it was 226/92! No other symptoms. They concluded this was anxiety which I kind of agreed with.

I've been suspecting that I had scar tissue in my tummy again. In 2008 I underwent emergency surgery to correct a blockage. Awful surgery, 12 days in the hospital. So, I was thinking back to see what might have happened this last Thursday. I remembered watching the news and the last story was about Pat Sajac and his recent blockage surgery. I know it freaked me out and the panic started. That's what led me to check my bp the first time.

The e/r ran a CAT scan and did not find any blockage, but of course they could not rule out scar tissue or adhesions. Those don't show up on tests. But I was relieved that they didn't find any obstructions. They gave me Lorazepam and I felt better. Today my pressure has been almost too low. Much better. Yesterday I was better too.

I've read about people having spikes like this before, but I assumed there was usually some kind of physical process going on. Can anxiety or panic cause this drastic kind of increase in bp?? I've wondered (in the past) about dysautonomia but never got around to that. Any ideas? Thanks kids.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    . Can anxiety or panic cause this drastic kind of increase in bp?? I've wondered (in the past) about dysautonomia but never got around to that. Any ideas? Thanks kids.
    Yes, Marti! Anxiety/panic attacks can cause a spike in blood pressure. That must have been really frightening for you. So glad your son was able to help you. It sounds like you need to get some control over your anxiety! Are you taking something for it beyond zanax? Are you using any alternatives that have been suggested to you in past threads?

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you regarding dysautonomia, but relieved you're feeling better today.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The e/r ran a CAT scan and did not find any blockage, but of course they could not rule out scar tissue or adhesions. Those don't show up on tests. But I was relieved that they didn't find any obstructions. They gave me Lorazepam and I felt better. Today my pressure has been almost too low. Much better. Yesterday I was better too.
      Glad to learn that there is no blockage, and that your blood pressure is down.

It's great to know that you are feeling much better too, marti.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Marti,

I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and wish a very blessed Holiday Season for you and your loved ones. May peace rule your heart and mind and may you discover joys during this time of year in spite of the losses you have suffered. Reach out to others with extra love and your own need will be amply filled, dearest lady.

Best Wishes!

Comment

Hi Marti,
          I am glad you are doing better! I have spikes in my BP during stressful times. It scares me and then my BP goes even higher. I take meds for BP and it seems to be under control now even though this is a very stressful time of year for me.

I hope you continue to be OK. I always like your posts and wish you well.

Comment

Hi Marti,

Wow. That is definitely high. Glad you went to ER.

Aside from the mental anguish anxiety causes, it can do a number on the physical body. That is part of the reason it is so critical to have anxiety under control. The physical manifestation can make any new diagnosis harder and can also exacerbate any existing medical conditions. Control anxiety and part of the puzzle is removed, along with possible symptoms.

There are so many techniques that can help, along with medicine and therapy. Even simple exercises that focus on breathing.

Hope you feel better.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

That was high!

So sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling better. I've had panic attacks my whole life. I can convince myself I'm having any number of issues, including an MS flare. It's very common to worry if you've had something as serious as you did before. My mom had a heart attack about 10 years ago. She almost went to the hospital the other day. She was convinced it was another heart attack. She lives in an assisted living center, so she had a nurse there to check her vitals and reassure her that she was okay. You did the right thing by going to the hospital. I'm glad you are okay.

Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                So sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling better. I've had panic attacks my whole life. I can convince myself I'm having any number of issues, including an MS flare. It's very common to worry if you've had something as serious as you did before. My mom had a heart attack about 10 years ago. She almost went to the hospital the other day. She was convinced it was another heart attack. She lives in an assisted living center, so she had a nurse there to check her vitals and reassure her that she was okay. You did the right thing by going to the hospital. I'm glad you are okay.

Kitty

You are right on target with this response. I can talk myself into being sick and then the anxiety kicks my b/p into high gear. I rarely give in to it or go to the hosp or the doctor. I have a doctor friend who is my age and has MS too. I can (and do) call her anytime and she talks me off the ledge. This time was even better. I read my CT scan results to her and she thinks I have diagnosed myself correctly. They found that I have a split kidney. I knew about this from my 20's when I got a UTI and it caused me to have a premie birth. My doctor was smart and got xrays of the kidney (or some test) and found it way back then. I actually had an uncle who had 3 kidneys! My friend said that any kidney problem can and will cause high blood pressure. So, I will see my primary and maybe we can put this all together. I had totally forgotten about that information from way back.
                Marti

Comment

Oh Marti! I'm glad you're doing somewhat better.

I'll give some of my standard advice:

Listen to quiet, relaxing music.
                  - Make yourself a cup of hot tea.
                  - Find other ways to pamper yourself.
                  - Give yourself some positive affirmations. You can find some by googling.
                  - I know you don't like meditation and you say it doesn't work for you. But, like other skills, it takes practice, and it does help to manage stress and decrease anxiety.
                  Start with just listening to your breath and noticing your chest (or belly) rise and fall. For five minutes. Or two minutes. When your mind wanders, just gently bring it back.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Oh Marti! I'm glad you're doing somewhat better.

I'll give some of my standard advice:

Listen to quiet, relaxing music.
                    - Make yourself a cup of hot tea.
                    - Find other ways to pamper yourself.
                    - Give yourself some positive affirmations. You can find some by googling.
                    - I know you don't like meditation and you say it doesn't work for you. But, like other skills, it takes practice, and it does help to manage stress and decrease anxiety.
                    Start with just listening to your breath and noticing your chest (or belly) rise and fall. For five minutes. Or two minutes. When your mind wanders, just gently bring it back.
                    Thanks Mama. It all sounds so good and I do try. But I just don't have the discipline it takes.
                    Marti

Comment

Glad I'm not alone

You are right on target with this response. I can talk myself into being sick and then the anxiety kicks my b/p into high gear. I rarely give in to it or go to the hosp or the doctor. I have a doctor friend who is my age and has MS too. I can (and do) call her anytime and she talks me off the ledge. This time was even better. I read my CT scan results to her and she thinks I have diagnosed myself correctly. They found that I have a split kidney. I knew about this from my 20's when I got a UTI and it caused me to have a premie birth. My doctor was smart and got xrays of the kidney (or some test) and found it way back then. I actually had an uncle who had 3 kidneys! My friend said that any kidney problem can and will cause high blood pressure. So, I will see my primary and maybe we can put this all together. I had totally forgotten about that information from way back.
                      What I can't figure out is, if I can talk myself into the worst case scenario, why can't I convince myself that I'm okay?

Comment

My primary started a small dose of B/P meds which seems to be keeping me in a better range. My only complaint is that she does not believe in White Coat Syndrome. I suspect that the next time I go to the doctor (any doctor) my pressure will be somewhat high again. When I took my monitor in to be calibrated it was in the high range. No doctor visit, just testing my monitor against theirs. I tested at home 30 minutes before I went in and it was perfect. Got to the clinic and it was 151/91. That tells me something!

Thanks for all the advice. You guys always come through for me.
                        Marti

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Doesn't believe in white coat syndrome? It seems obvious to me that blood pressure rises when stress goes up.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            Thanks for the update.

Doesn't believe in white coat syndrome? It seems obvious to me that blood pressure rises when stress goes up.

Yes, I don't get that. All I can think is that maybe she meant that I don't have WCS. She believes my blood pressure has been elevated for a long time with or without the anxiety of visiting a doctor or clinic. In any case, I am using the Lisinopril (for now). I don't like the idea, but it seems to be helping. She also dismissed the problem I have with my kidney being split. I need to ask around about it because my doctor friend thinks I have possibly found the answer to my high blood pressure... the kidney problem. ???
                            Marti

Comment

She also dismissed the problem I have with my kidney being split. I need to ask around about it because my doctor friend thinks I have possibly found the answer to my high blood pressure... the kidney problem. ???
                              Hmmm. Maybe?

I found this on WebMD:

Renal hypertension, also called renovascular hypertension, is elevated blood pressure caused by kidney disease. It can usually be controlled by blood pressure drugs. Some people with renal hypertension can be helped by angioplasty, stenting, or surgery on the blood vessels of the kidney.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X