Life zapping side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life zapping side effects

Hello all - I haven't been here for some time. My dmd (lemtrada) has caused a host of issues - the latest being hyperthyroidism which in turn caused worse than normal fatigue. I'm thankful it was caught but a month of medication hasn't helped yet. I'm still grateful for lemtrada - no relapses finally. Still, lots of damage.

I know this is nothing new but it's soo hard. A lifelong programming to value accomplishments more than principles has left me totally depressed and confused about life. I watch a lot of pbs spacetime and the more I watch I'm continually presented with the complexity of life and the universe which clashes with my stagnant day to day existence. I'm beyond depressed. I feel like wasted resources. All I do is waste time. Maybe the shows are depressing at this time.

I've got to pull myself up. I can't get to therapy yet I haven't got the energy and initiative to find a therapist. I think exercise is the way to go. What could be some initial steps to do before I graduate to outdoor activities?

Any thoughts welcome - thanks for reading!
    Sard

Welcome back sardi_g.

Sorry to hear that it has been a rough go. If you don't mind a few questions, it may help us respond better. Exercise does help both with MS fatigue and depression.

I understand the fatigue factor. Do you have other physical limitations that may limit the type of exercise you can do? Do you have a history of depression and have you/are you treating with anything?

My suggestion would be possibly gentle stretching and yoga. There are plenty of videos that even show adaptive positions.

The other possibility is some light weights. I bought a set of ankle weights that can range from 0.5 lbs to 5.5lbs each by inserting weights of 0.5lbs each. I do knee strengthening exercises with them. I also have used them on my wrists to do some arm strengthening as well.

Aside from being able to build up the weight over time, some days, I am weaker than others. So these give me the flexibility to cut back some if need be.

If you can get out, I also find it helps with depression. Even if it is just a few minutes outside. My neighbors think I am nuts. I will sit bundled in the sun with my thermos of hot tea, blankets and all just to get some natural vitamin D from the sun in the winter.

Many here have struggled with depression. The right therapist can be critical and may be trial and error until you gel with one. But it is really worth the investment in yourself. Sometimes, prescriptions may be needed as well. And like therapists, it can also be trial and error. And prescriptions don't have to be lifetime. They may be lifetime for some,but for others, it is just to get through a rough patch until the depression abates some and we have more skills in our arsenal to help us deal with the cause of the depression.

Hope you stick around and are up to posting.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Sorry to hear about your depression. You have some good ideas :
      - combat stagnation
      - therapy
      - exercise

And Kathy has some good suggestions about how to incorporate them into your life.

I would echo those ideas and add some of my own.
      - Listen to quiet, relaxing music.
      - Make yourself a cup of hot tea.
      - Find other ways to pamper yourself.
      - Consider meditation, listening to breath. You might be able to find some on YouTube or on phone apps. If you'd like specific suggestions, let me know and I'll look for some to post here.
      - Give yourself some positive affirmations. That's another thing you can find by googling.
      - Are there activities in your community that can get you around other people? Or around animals? Our local humane society loves it when volunteers come to pet their cats. Or a local recreation center might offer a simple yoga class that could get you around other people. Or many churches in our community offer a Wednesday evening meal for a small donation. Or libraries often have programs you could attend.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
        A lifelong programming to value accomplishments more than principles has left me totally depressed and confused about life.

Doesn't this statement show that you are aware of the problem?

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
        I watch a lot of pbs spacetime and the more I watch I'm continually presented with the complexity of life and the universe which clashes with my stagnant day to day existence.

And doesn't this kinda "feed" the problem?

Pennstater & Mamabug certainly give great advise AND you seem aware, so that's half the solution.... Now you (all of us really) need to act, hard as it may seen. It is doable.

Comment

You've gotten great advice so far. I'm sending good, strong vibes your way and feel sure things will improve once you are able to get the momentum rolling.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Absolutely perfect advice!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Welcome back sardi_g.

Sorry to hear that it has been a rough go. If you don't mind a few questions, it may help us respond better. Exercise does help both with MS fatigue and depression.

I understand the fatigue factor. Do you have other physical limitations that may limit the type of exercise you can do? Do you have a history of depression and have you/are you treating with anything?

My suggestion would be possibly gentle stretching and yoga. There are plenty of videos that even show adaptive positions.

The other possibility is some light weights. I bought a set of ankle weights that can range from 0.5 lbs to 5.5lbs each by inserting weights of 0.5lbs each. I do knee strengthening exercises with them. I also have used them on my wrists to do some arm strengthening as well.

Aside from being able to build up the weight over time, some days, I am weaker than others. So these give me the flexibility to cut back some if need be.

If you can get out, I also find it helps with depression. Even if it is just a few minutes outside. My neighbors think I am nuts. I will sit bundled in the sun with my thermos of hot tea, blankets and all just to get some natural vitamin D from the sun in the winter.

Many here have struggled with depression. The right therapist can be critical and may be trial and error until you gel with one. But it is really worth the investment in yourself. Sometimes, prescriptions may be needed as well. And like therapists, it can also be trial and error. And prescriptions don't have to be lifetime. They may be lifetime for some,but for others, it is just to get through a rough patch until the depression abates some and we have more skills in our arsenal to help us deal with the cause of the depression.

Hope you stick around and are up to posting.
            ***bundling up and sitting outside with a thermos of tea is creative and an especially good idea. I put a summer lawn chair on my porch here in western MA and sit outside when the sun reaches that spot each day. I have also started bundling up and walking up and down my street. I use a three wheeled walker and the psychological lift from even minutes of being outside is great.

Stop drinking coffee and flood yourself with water! I am a heavy coffee drinker and have severely cut back and force myself to sip water all day. That is a mood lifter for me.

Good luck....it is one continual struggle.
            "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Might be worth considering trying one of those light therapy boxes- they shift your mood. If you can´t go outside, google wearing green glasses to see what that does.

Comment

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
                I put a summer lawn chair on my porch here in western MA and sit outside when the sun reaches that spot each day. I have also started bundling up and walking up and down my street. I use a three wheeled walker and the psychological lift from even minutes of being outside is great.
                You are braver than me - little colder in MA then here! But I do the same, sit out when sun hits a certain spot. Agree that a quick bundled walk gives a huge lift.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  Sorry to hear about your depression. You have some good ideas :
                  - combat stagnation
                  - therapy
                  - exercise

And Kathy has some good suggestions about how to incorporate them into your life.

I would echo those ideas and add some of my own.
                  - Listen to quiet, relaxing music.
                  - Make yourself a cup of hot tea.
                  - Find other ways to pamper yourself.
                  - Consider meditation, listening to breath. You might be able to find some on YouTube or on phone apps. If you'd like specific suggestions, let me know and I'll look for some to post here.
                  - Give yourself some positive affirmations. That's another thing you can find by googling.
                  - Are there activities in your community that can get you around other people? Or around animals? Our local humane society loves it when volunteers come to pet their cats. Or a local recreation center might offer a simple yoga class that could get you around other people. Or many churches in our community offer a Wednesday evening meal for a small donation. Or libraries often have programs you could attend.
                  I like this advice. It’s hard or impossible to tough your way out if sadness and depression. You will have the strength when you give yourself some TLC. Some sort of social event every week give you a real boost, too.

When you feel strong that’s when you can start training for triathlons.

Comment

Oh thanks everyone. It helped to vent and it helped to hear the ideas. I am on meds for bipolar and I'm going to bring it up next time to see if I need a med change. I do have some light weights. Stretching and meditation are always options. Also patience.
                    Thanks again for all the support, happy holidays

Comment

Working...
                    X