• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check In thread 12/19/2019

5 checked in this last week.

2 met goals.
    3 made partial goals.

I love the way all of you encourage each other (including me!) and offer suggestions about what works for you.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Partial goal

I did very poorly on my steps goal. 1205 average.

I exercised 4x.
    - Stay Strong, Stay Healthy or Strong Senior 2x.
    - Chair Yoga 1x.
    - PT at home 2x.

I sort of did the bare minimum. And, I probably won't do much better this week. Holiday week has just zapped my motivation. I'll pick up some things again, after the holidays.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Made Goals

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I did very poorly on my steps goal. 1205 average.

I exercised 4x.
      - Stay Strong, Stay Healthy or Strong Senior 2x.
      - Chair Yoga 1x.
      - PT at home 2x.

I sort of did the bare minimum. And, I probably won't do much better this week. Holiday week has just zapped my motivation. I'll pick up some things again, after the holidays.
      Well you did do some exercise, Mamabug, even though it took much effort due to holiday activity. You were probably very active doing other things.

Another week has gone by already! Can't believe how quickly time seems to go by for me. This may be due to the fact that I move about so slowly, and doing everything takes so much longer than it used to.

I was able to accomplish my exercise goals, and had a decent week. I do most of my 'work-out' in the morning, before other things or people have a chance to interrupt, or need my attention.

I am changing what I call 'Walk with Rollator' to 'Walk/Stand' with rollator. I take quite a few pauses during my walk, and 'Walk/Stand' is a more accurate description. Standing is good too.

My goals will stay the same.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Leg and Lower Back Exercises

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I made a partial goal because once again, I didn't do all my PT exercises. Now that I'm no longer seeing my guy, who gave me pep talks every week and praised my gains, I'm less motivated. It makes me realize that I should be praising myself and giving myself pep talks because I'm dooing this for myself and not him!

I did babysat twice (one morning at a kid's play gym/area where I walked a lot), walked lots during grocery shopping and did some light housework.

Will not stress about reaching goals this next week. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday time with loved ones
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I did babysat twice (one morning at a kid's play gym/area where I walked a lot), walked lots during grocery shopping and did some light housework.
          Good job with partial goal, Seasha. Walking alot is very good too.

Making the time for, and getting into, a routine for exercise is not always easy.

But once the routine is well established, it becomes difficult to skip it.

I think exercise increases endorphins, or other mood boosting brain chemicals.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Lots of good ideas here

Hello all - I'm starting from zero so you all inspiring!

Ab crunches and chair yoga sound good.

Goal for week
            5 x spend a half hour in the morning doing chair exercises and/or stretching, but won't stress over it.

See you all next week and have a wonderful festive fun week!

Comment

Hi sardi and welcome! I just wrote a reply and it disappeared... I was going to reply to your other recent thread but will here. I'm sorry to hear about the dx of hyperthroidism and hope you can get this under control. Is this a side effect of Lemtrada?

In the meantime, we are glad you are joining us. We are all here to encourage each other through our efforts, large or small, based on our abilities. It's good that you are starting small and not stressing about results. An excellent strategy!

You have a fun and festive week ahead yourself

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
                Hello all - I'm starting from zero so you all inspiring!

Ab crunches and chair yoga sound good.

Goal for week
                5 x spend a half hour in the morning doing chair exercises and/or stretching, but won't stress over it.

See you all next week and have a wonderful festive fun week!
                Hello sardi ~ welcome aboard!

Glad to have you in our group ~ the more the merrier!

Good luck with your goals. See you next week.

Take Care

Comment

Mamabug- holidays can be a struggle as we change focus to make things happen.
                  Time does go by fast Koko...I often run out of days before I can accomplish my goals....congrats on making yours.
                  Partial goals count Seasha, just keep on keeping on.
                  Welcome to the group sardi....stretching is a great way to get your day started.

I made partial goals.
                  2 nights of BJJ....accomplished
                  3, 3 mile runs....none
                  3 days in the gym.....none

The gym will be a challenge as my morning schedule has changed. My wife got a new gig and has to leave the house earlier so I stick around until the sitter arrives. The morning is when I usually hit the gym. Maybe I'll just do some body weight exercises and yoga while I wait....

Keep it going and Merry Christmas y'all.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

I made partial goals.
                    2 nights of BJJ....accomplished
                    Good for you, Boudreaux!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    The gym will be a challenge as my morning schedule has changed. My wife got a new gig and has to leave the house earlier so I stick around until the sitter arrives. The morning is when I usually hit the gym. Maybe I'll just do some body weight exercises and yoga while I wait....
                    Hard to imagine how a busy Dad and Husband could fit any exercise time into the day.

Hats off to you for the effort, Boudreaux!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      Good for you, Boudreaux!

Hard to imagine how a busy Dad and Husband could fit any exercise time into the day.

Hats off to you for the effort, Boudreaux!
                      Thanks Koko.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi everyone!

Had a good week. The last with trainer since she has vacation til early '20.

Did all the usual with better efficacy. Do not really understand... A very cold week should have had a negative effect.

Also maintained my 5x @ week stretching. And more stretching during pool workout. She's showing me ballerina moves. Stop with the chuckles. The pool has grab bars along the perimeter so naturally that must be where one places one's foot.

Anyhow I didn't do it too well but did manage... to keep my head above water.

Next two weeks = solo. We will see.

Merry Christmas and a Healthier Happier New Year to everyone!

Comment

Hi Jer! Thanks for the visual in the pool

So glad you had a great week and let's hope we all keep our "heads above the water"!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                            Had a good week. The last with trainer since she has vacation til early '20.

Did all the usual with better efficacy. Do not really understand... A very cold week should have had a negative effect.

Also maintained my 5x @ week stretching. And more stretching during pool workout. She's showing me ballerina moves. Stop with the chuckles. The pool has grab bars along the perimeter so naturally that must be where one places one's foot.
                            Glad to hear that you had a good week, Jer!

Stretching, and more stretching, is excellent!

Good luck solo. You can do it!

Comment

Welcome Sardi! I'll be interested to follow how you do on your goals. :-)
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X