Chronic Colds and Sinus Infections with Ocrevus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronic Colds and Sinus Infections with Ocrevus

I have been doing Ocrevus for over a year and my MS is doing great - no relapses no new lesions - BUT - I feel like it has been 18 months of one cold/sinus infection after another - I get off antibiotics and 3 week later it starts up again - I am really at a loss - what is the point of keeping MS in check if you are just going to be sick with upper respiratory infections all the time - just feel like I have traded off one illness for another. Anyone else experience this - anything that has helped? Vitamins? Supplements? I do B12 and D - anything else I can add?

Thanks for any advice!

Not with Ocrevus, but with Tysabri. Another member who had the same problem recommended taking Vitamins C and E. Her son was a biochemist and told her to do this.

Since I started, I have made it 18 months with only a minor cold. Before, that would have turned into a two month battle.

If you do decide to try, make sure you discuss with your neuro. I had to cut my Vitamin E some, as it was raising my cholesterol.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've been wondering about this myself. I've only had the first two half doses of Ocrevus, but I've been sick the whole time since I started it and just about at the end of my rope.

First a bad cold, and after a few days of being fine, I wound up with a mild flu followed by another cold that turned into a sinus infection. My ears have been clogged more often than not for several weeks now, and I live alone (with my dog) out in the country, so I really need to be able to hear. Not to mention the fact that I don't want to be miserable for Christmas, when I'm hosting several overnight guests.

i'm halfway done with penicillin now and have been popping Dayquil and Vitamin C drinks, but nothing is shaking it. I'm also on B12.

I know they said that Ocrevus includes the possibility of upper respiratory infections, but this is ridiculous!

Comment

Thanks - I'll add some C and E and see if that helps at all - I won't overdue the E :-)

Other than that - I guess just sticking to insane hand washing and wiping down counters and trying to avoid crowds I guess...

I have a neuro apt in Jan - supposed to have next infusion in Feb - not sure if I am going to go forward with it or consider another med - since this is really no way to live... maybe now that ocrevus has "knocked the MS down" another med could keep it down.

I'll update after I talk to my neuro....

Comment

I am the member whose son told her to take 500 C & 400 E. Thank G-d, the son and vits I have been well since 2006 Tysabri Maybe 2 colds in all those years..when I have felt a scratchy throat or sneezes coming on I have taken 2,000C for a couple days !

Good luck!
          Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda! I am forever grateful to you! I did have to lower the E because my cholesterol went up to borderline after starting the E. Lowered dosage of E to about 180 between supplement and multi-vitamin and cholesterol returned to normal. Both neuro and PCP said to never take more than 400mg E daily, as E can cause lots of problems.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You are welcome Kathy I do know that 400E is the max. C is water based which if too much will wash out. E is oil based which if too much hangs out in the liver
              Happy Holidays one and all
              Linda
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X