Facial numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facial numbness

I'd like to hear from anyone who gets this facial numbness. I never know whether this is something more serious when it hits. Had a 5 minute run of it today.. no other symptoms that I can remember. This was one of my first symptoms and I still get it once in a while.

I recently had some dental work and found some bone loss. Not sure if that could be causing some mouth pain or this numbness.

My uncle who had MS also had a lot of facial numbness. I just don't want to dismiss this symptom as MS when it could be something else. I do still have anxiety.

So if you've had this problem and would like to talk about it, please respond here. Truthfully, I'd much rather just chalk it up to MS than start worrying about something new. Kind of like the bird with his head in the sand.

Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hello Marti,

Does it feel like someone punched you in the face? That is how my wife describes it.

Facial numbness is something my wife experiences off and on, also, and has since being diagnosed in 1982. It was greatly subdued during her 15 years on Tysabri but like so many other symptoms, that too, has returned on Ocrevus.

I must say that Ocrevus is turning out to be a massive disappointment for us. Each person is unique and each has a unique experience with every MS DMT. I'm happy for those who have success. But I feel terrible for my wife; her health was considerably better on Tysabri, and her life much happier.

You, and every MSer know how it is... you just keep keepin' on, making the best of it.

Best wishes, sweet lady.

Comment

Marti - I experience the numbness and sometimes burning sensation, usually if overheated, fatigued, or stressed. Funny, I don't ever remember it in a flare though. Most of the symptoms I get under those conditions are ones I had in a flare.

Hope it stays fleeting. If from dental issues, I would think it would hang around more. But it is definitely worth asking about.

Myoak - sorry to hear your wife hasn't responded to Ocrevus as well as Tysabri. I hope she stabilizes soon and that something is around the corner to help. I know it shouldn't, but still surprises me how variable the experiences are.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        Marti - I experience the numbness and sometimes burning sensation, usually if overheated, fatigued, or stressed. Funny, I don't ever remember it in a flare though. Most of the symptoms I get under those conditions are ones I had in a flare.

Hope it stays fleeting. If from dental issues, I would think it would hang around more. But it is definitely worth asking about.

Myoak - sorry to hear your wife hasn't responded to Ocrevus as well as Tysabri. I hope she stabilizes soon and that something is around the corner to help. I know it shouldn't, but still surprises me how variable the experiences are.

I hadn't thought of it, but I have been killing myself with Christmas baking. I'm always exhausted.. every day my life. But for some reason I can't stop moving this year. I think it's the first half of the second year without Sam. It seems worse than the first year. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. I've never been able to absolutely identify a relapse in myself. I'm sure there have been many over the years, but I never brought those really bad days to the doctor. I just toughed it out. "What's in a name" right?
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
          I think it's the first half of the second year without Sam. It seems worse than the first year.
          Holidays are often a difficult time when we've lost loved ones. Thinking of you, Marti.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

[

I have experience facial numbness right side around the eye several years ago. It would come and go for several months in the fall of the year. It would come on stronger when the humidity was up before it would rain. I started telling people I was allergic to rain. The neuro had me try Gabapentin, it didn't do anything for me . It finally went away after about four months. I have experience it a couple time since. but it has only lasted maybe a week or so at a time.

It's weird because my left side is what has always been affected, and this was on my right side. I have not had the numbness feeling for about a year. (Knock on wood) My left hand is stiff and numb and has been since I was diagnosed in 92. I have adapted to this, but the face was really annoying.

Comment

Facial numbness is how my MS manifested itself and got me diagnosed! I woke up one morning in Oct 2003 and felt a roundish patch on my left cheek that was completely numb. Since I'd had a root canal two days prior, I thought maybe it was just a nerve that had become grumpy and it would improve with time. Instead of getting better though, over the next week that numb area continued to grow. First it was my entire left cheek...then the left side of my nose....then the left side of my forehead and scalp and it ended with my terror when it spread to my tongue and lips (all on the left side only).

After MANY tests and blood panels done by my PCP she referred me to a neurologist who specializes in MS...and guess what? That was when I found out I had MS (post MRI results to confirm). He put me on a steroid drip for 3 days and all feeling came back and then I began the arduous job of trying to figure out what meds I wanted/needed to go on and how my life was about to change.

Now when I get the least little tingle of numbness (mostly in my hands or on my face) I begin to watch and see if the symptoms are those that fall into "faux" status (meaning they don't last beyond 72 hours) or if they hang around and I get to call my neuro.
              Wendy
              "There are signs everywhere...."
              "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Comment

Working...
              X