• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise check in thread 12-12-2019

5 checked in this last week.

2 met goals.
    3 made partial goals.

Wat to go, all! It's nice to see that we are all still moving. I believe that our efforts will help to delay our MS progression.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I failed in making my goals this past week. I've been too busy organizing, wrapping and sending off presents to our out of state families. Did more making holiday treats too.

I did babysit twice and went to yoga class, but didn't reach my goal for PT exercises and yoga at home.

Goal for next week is to catch up on those important PT moves!

Keep on Moving everyone!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sounds like you made a partial goal, Seasha. Babysitting and yoga class.

You're still moving! As long as we're trying, we don't need perfection.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Partial goal.

Didn't make steps goal. I'll figure my average out later.

Went to Stay Strong Stay Healthy twice but I missed Chair Yoga. We had a wind advisory Monday and I agreed, sort of last minute, to babysit a friend's kid Wednesday.

I did PT exercises at home twice.

But ... , here is a victory to share.

The Strong Seniors class that I usually attend on Monday, Wednesday and or Friday is led by a volunteer. It's based on the Stay Strong Stay Healthy program sponsored by K-State. For the last eight weeks, I've been attending the K-State version instead. It's taught by a certified instructor. A pre-assessment and post-assessment are included.

I improved in balance and some other things. That was great to see!
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Goals Accomplished

Hello everyone

Seasha you were very busy with activities, and still made partial goals!

Mamabug nice work with your Stay Strong program, and on getting partial goals done!

I had another very good week. Busier than usual, but was able to accomplish my goals.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I enjoy doing my new lower back exercises (I know - it sounds corny). Instead of getting on the floor (which is not doable for me), I recline my chair flat, footrest up, and go at 'em.

Knee to chest, lower back rotational stretches, draw-in maneuvers, and pelvic tilts are the ones that I'm able to do. They seem to loosen me up, which in turn helps my walking, and moving around in general.

I will continue with the same goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Leg and Lower Back Exercises

Good energy, perseverance, and peace of mind to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone!

Some stress (weather related) this week but managed to maintain my varied routines. With a focus on the gym equipment that I cannot use alone. My trainer is going on holiday Christmas, 2 weeks.

Discoveries or affirmations....

On various elliptical equipment:
            310 strides = .25 mile, 620 strides = .5 mile, etc. and a stride is probably longer than a step.
            I do 1.5 miles (1860 strides) 3x a week and a little treadmill.

Reaffirmed something that I simply do not understand. There are days that certain routines are next to impossible, form terrible, disheartening. Where you come away thinking... another loss, despite working at it religiously. Not long ago this happened to me. This past week I did a noticeable improvement as to ROM & proper form ?!?!

Not the first time I noticed this but the occasional gold nugget is welcome!

Seasha, your activities easily equal workout time. Just the thought of all that running around....
            Mamabug, would like to hear about "pre-assessment and post-assessment".

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Can't believe I'm saying this, but I enjoy doing my new lower back exercises (I know - it sounds corny). Instead of getting on the floor (which is not doable for me), I recline my chair flat, footrest up, and go at 'em.

Knee to chest, lower back rotational stretches, draw-in maneuvers, and pelvic tilts are the ones that I'm able to do. They seem to loosen me up, which in turn helps my walking, and moving around in general.
            I do these exercises too! I think what they may feel like they "loosen you up", but they really focus on core strength (and glute/upper thigh) and in addition realign the pelvic area, critical for structure.

A simple exercise you may want to try; Sit in a straight back chair, arms at side, lift one leg (knee remaining bent) high as you can then back to starting position. Alternate. Do a few sets. Good for hip flexor (standing).

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Discoveries or affirmations....

On various elliptical equipment:
              310 strides = .25 mile, 620 strides = .5 mile, etc. and a stride is probably longer than a step.
              I do 1.5 miles (1860 strides) 3x a week and a little treadmill.
              Nice work, Jer!

Reaffirmed something that I simply do not understand. There are days that certain routines are next to impossible, form terrible, disheartening. Where you come away thinking... another loss, despite working at it religiously. Not long ago this happened to me. This past week I did a noticeable improvement as to ROM & proper form ?!?!.
              When my nerve signals aren't firing as well as usual, I try like heck to figure out why. There are certain conditions (for me) that mess up my functionality.

Am I too warm? Did I sleep well? Was I overactive in the past few days? Do I have a virus or other illness (even if mild)?

Sometimes I find the reason. And sometimes it's just the darn nature of MS.

A simple exercise you may want to try; Sit in a straight back chair, arms at side, lift one leg (knee remaining bent) high as you can then back to starting position. Alternate. Do a few sets. Good for hip flexor (standing).
              That is one of my leg exercises. I have to do passive lifts (manually lift) with my right leg. With my left leg, I have to do a few passive lifts first (to get the signals going), before I can lift it a few times without the manual help.

Thanks for sharing, Jer. Glad to know that we're doing many of the same exercises!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My PT has me doing these, but in a standing position and holding on to walker with both or one hand, depending on the day and how I feel. My right leg could not lift very far and I thought it was due to leg weakness, but actually my left gluteus maximus was weak as explained by my pt. After doing this exercise for weeks now, I can lift my right leg much higher. Also, the pain, which I always thought was due to chronic sciatica is now completely gone!

It sounds like everyone is doing their best within limitations and I really appreciate how we all share not only our goals, but great tips for certain exercises.

I need to work more on arm strengthening exercises Any tips? Beyond lifting weights?
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  Didn't make steps goal. I'll figure my average out later.
                  Average 1897 steps per day. Goal was 2000.

Mamabug, would like to hear about "pre-assessment and post-assessment".
                  I wish I could remember details. Yesterday, I requested that instructor email results to me, so I'd have them to look back on. I haven't received them yet, so I sent him a reminder. I'll post them if he sends them.

Edited to Update: I sent reminder. He emailed right back; said he went home sick for the rest of Thursday and today. He'll try to send it to me on Monday.
                  Last edited by Mamabug; 12-13-2019, 03:50 PM. Reason: Updated
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

When my nerve signals aren't firing as well as usual, I try like heck to figure out why. There are certain conditions (for me) that mess up my functionality.

Am I too warm? Did I sleep well? Was I overactive in the past few days? Do I have a virus or other illness (even if mild)?

Sometimes I find the reason. And sometimes it's just the darn nature of MS.

Hey KoKo! I booted up just to add something I forgot and found your post!

What I was going to add happened immediately after pool this past week. I am not bothered at all by heat (cold is a different story), I thought. Normally after pool my trainer loves 10-15 minutes in the jacuzzi, I have no problem and join her. Over 2 years now doing this. This week she needed to leave early forgoing the jacuzzi, so I skipped too. A shower and out the door.

I had a definite spring in my step! Less concern about stumble...!

So, as you said "There are certain conditions (for me) that mess up my functionality." Does the hot tub after an hour of pool exercise (vigorous) sap the ability to "get the signals going" that the exercise gave me? Does that dose of heat rob me of the benefits of an hour of pool work?

Really hate to give up the hot tub....

I have to do passive lifts (manually lift) with my right leg.
                    Suggestion, which you probably know already... Mentally communicate with the passive limb. Put your head there. I like to believe this will lead to something.

With my left leg, I have to do a few passive lifts first (to get the signals going), before I can lift it a few times without the manual help.

Trainer calls this priming the well.... Gotta smile, it does work!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                      After doing this exercise for weeks now, I can lift my right leg much higher. Also, the pain, which I always thought was due to chronic sciatica is now completely gone!
                      This is great news. At times we (I) tend to think, another loss... Then when something like you describe happens! WOW!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                      I need to work more on arm strengthening exercises Any tips? Beyond lifting weights?
                      Bands. Elastic exercise loops, various sizes and various resistance. Yellow, green, red, blue, purple (I believe it to be universal... the order of resistance is increased...Y, G, R, B, P. Bands provide resistance in both directions, expanding arm, contracting arm. Work slowly, be aware of form (entire body)

Comment

[QUOTE=Mamabug;1523527I'll post them if he sends them.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in assessment, thanks M.

Comment

Does that dose of heat rob me of the benefits of an hour of pool work?
                          Jer, the benefits you receive from your pool work aren't nullified by heat, thankfully. When nerve signals are slowed down by getting warmed up, it is only temporary.

Suggestion, which you probably know already... Mentally communicate with the passive limb. Put your head there. I like to believe this will lead to something.
                          I'll have to seriously work on that. You never know.

Through concentration and mental focus, I have found that I am able to keep my leg from spazzing out when my foot touches something cold!

Trainer calls this priming the well.... Gotta smile, it does work!
                          Before I stand up from a sitting position, I do a few partial stand-ups first, before I do the real thing. Is that also an example of what your trainer means (priming the well)?

Comment

What I was going to add happened immediately after pool this past week. I am not bothered at all by heat (cold is a different story), I thought.
                            This isn't related to your question, but I don't seem to be bothered by temperature (neither heat nor cold). But the pool drains me incredibly. I think it's the humidity.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Nice work everyone. I’ll say I made partial goals.

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu accomplished
                              Didn’t get any days in the gym
                              Didn’t get any runs in either.

Keep it going.
                              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X