Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is " Sit to stand” practical?

Hi

Has anyone tried “ sit to stand” aid devices or know anyone who has tried it?

Like Jurney made by Hoyer or Lumex

I am not sure how practical it is

I have too much difficulty in transfer
    I don’t see one in medical stores to try it , see if works for me

it’s available online for purchase subject to 20% restocking fee in case of return

Would you please share your experience if you have used one or know anyone who has tried it

Thanks

Originally posted by brave View Post
    Hi

Has anyone tried “ sit to stand” aid devices or know anyone who has tried it?

Like Jurney made by Hoyer or Lumex

I am not sure how practical it is

I have too much difficulty in transfer
    I don’t see one in medical stores to try it , see if works for me

it’s available online for purchase subject to 20% restocking fee in case of return

Would you please share your experience if you have used one or know anyone who has tried it

Thanks
    Hi brave ~

I don't have a sit-to-stand device, so can't help you with that.

Just want to share that I do understand, as getting up from the sitting position is challenging for me too.

I live alone, and I've had to call my sister a few times when I was stuck and couldn't get up and off of the toilet!

Now, I use a bedside commode, placed over my toilet (bucket removed). It is height adjustable and has armrests. Both of these features help me to get up a little easier.

Also, I use a lift recliner chair, which is very helpful for me.

I've been doing some core strengthening exercises, with the hope that they will help me to maintain some strength, and not keep getting weaker. We shall see.

In any case, brave, hopefully you will find solutions that work for you. Good luck!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Brave,

Have you looked at YouTube videos on how to use one? That would give you some idea whether or not you could use one.

I've used a Sara lift sit to stand device in the past while in inpatient rehab. There were always two caregivers present when they used it for me, but they have certain safety protocols to follow. It does show the Hoyer Journey can be operated by one caregiver, but there are other lifts that recommend two caregivers. (Just my own home experience with lifts is one person can do it).

Lifts require sufficient space to use. I'd recommend looking up the dimensions of the device before ordering one. There's also a turning radius to consider. The Hoyer Journey's was 45.1 inches. I didn't see the turning radius for Lumex.

There are videos on line that show how to use sit and stand lifts, but that's not the same as being shown in person. You might feel more comfortable if you could have someone experienced with one show you and your caregiver how to use it. Ask your doctor (my PCP does it for me) if he/ she would write a script to have an occupational therapist from homecare come to your home or call a homecare agency to see if they have someone trained on one you can hire who can help you. Not all home heathcare aides know how to use them, but the certified nursing assistants usually are trained to use one.

If you have room and need this to get out of bed, it well worth it. Something else to consider using is a transfer board (much cheaper, easier, and faster). I was trained one time during an inpatient hospital rehab stay by an occupational therapist on how to use one. I learned how to get in and out of bed and transfer to my wheelchair, a bedside commode with drop arm, and to other surfaces with one. Probably one of the most helpful things I've ever learned so far.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      I've been doing some core strengthening exercises, with the hope that they will help me to maintain some strength, and not keep getting weaker
      That's great, KoKo! It's very important to do this, once you lose core strength you can't even sit upright in a wheelchair!

To use a sit to stand lift you must have enough core strength and leg strength to hold yourself upright.

Best of luck, Brave, and please let us know how it goes if you get one.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Kimba provides great info and I went thru a lot of the same research.

I was getting so weak transferring by standing using my walker, then pivoting and flopping into my chair it was becoming difficult and I ended up falling multiple times.

So after getting a doctor's order, at an outpatient facility my PT brought in a DME company rep to help assess and advise - I was able to try sit-to-stand devices like Hoyer lifts but struggled due to my lack of leg strength.

The rep recommended a Rifton lift (I have the 'TRAM' model) and I use it for a sit-to-sit transfer. You can google it to see info and videos, it also will do sit-to-stand.

The DME rep also delivered the lift and provided in-home training for my wife and she continues to transfer me by herself.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
          I was getting so weak transferring by standing using my walker, then pivoting and flopping into my chair it was becoming difficult and I ended up falling multiple times.

So after getting a doctor's order, at an outpatient facility my PT brought in a DME company rep to help assess and advise - I was able to try sit-to-stand devices like Hoyer lifts but struggled due to my lack of leg strength.

The rep recommended a Rifton lift (I have the 'TRAM' model) and I use it for a sit-to-sit transfer. You can google it to see info and videos, it also will do sit-to-stand.

The DME rep also delivered the lift and provided in-home training for my wife and she continues to transfer me by herself.
          Thanks for the info, pb909. I have never heard of sit-sit lift before!
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Dear can turn into reality

Hello everyone
            I haven’t been here three weeks or so, my fear turned into reality
            I fell down and twisted my ankle
            Thanks God , no fracture
            Anyway was another painful experience

I appreciate your time responding to me and sharing your experiences

Kobo

I’m using elevated Toilet seat, it’s helpful but still have difficulty In transfer

Kimba22

You’re correct
            I am concerned about my space and my capabilities.
            that’s the reason haven’t been able to choose right aid

I cannot use transfer board since I do not have enough strength in upper body, I wish I could use, I see it helpful to people with impaired mobility .

Pb909

Thank you very much for Information , I didn’t know about Rifton lif
            It’s very interesting. I’ll talk to my Neurologist. may I ask you if insurance covered it for you ? since google shows the price $4000+

I am still searching for proper lift to use . Will see my Neuro in Feb
            I will let you know if I have any findings.

Thanks again for all your inputs

Comment

Originally posted by brave View Post
              Hello everyone
              I haven’t been here three weeks or so, my fear turned into reality
              I fell down and twisted my ankle
              Thanks God , no fracture
              Anyway was another painful experience
              Hi Brave,

I'm sorry you fell.

Best of luck with your search for a lift that works for you.
              Kimba

Comment

Hi brave ~

I'm sorry too, that you had a fall.

Hope you find something to help with transfers soon.

I don't have upper strength for using a transfer board either, with a weak core and one arm with very limited function.

Lately I've been getting nervous, at times, with toilet transfers. Sometimes my nerve signals are working, and sometimes they're very weak.

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Brave,

Yes, my Medicare Advantage plan covered it at the plan rate of 80/20 so I paid 20%.

Comment

Working...
                  X