Ocrevus and Neutropenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocrevus and Neutropenia

Since Ocrevus is a medication which causes neutropenia it is prudent to identify, treat, and report it when it occurs. Below is quoted from webmd.

Neutropenia

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...ms-treatment#1

"People with neutropenia have an unusually low number of cells called neutrophils. Neutrophils are cells in your immune system that attack bacteria and other organisms when they invade your body.

Neutrophils are a type of white blood cell. Your bone marrow creates these cells. They then travel in your bloodstream and move to areas of infection where they ingest and then neutralize the offending bacteria.

Symptoms of Neutropenia

Neutropenia itself often doesn't cause symptoms. In some cases, people only learn they have neutropenia when they have a blood test for an unrelated reason. It is most commonly seen--and even expected--as a result of chemotherapy used to treat cancer. But some people may have other symptoms from infection or the underlying problem causing the neutropenia.

Infections can occur as a complication of neutropenia. They occur most often in the mucous membranes, such as the inside of the mouth and the skin.

These infections can appear as:

Ulcers

Abscesses (collections of pus)

Rashes

Wounds that take a long time to heal

Fever is also a common symptom of infection. In a neutropenic fever, it is common not to identify the exact cause, which is often normal gut bacteria that has made its way into the blood from weakened barriers. Neutropenic fevers are usually treated with antibiotics, even if an infectious source can't be identified. This is important because the weakened immune system means patients can get very sick very quickly."

High Neutrophils

I have been on Ocrevus since approval. My last CBC blood test, I have high Neutrophils. When I asked the doc she said I have low lymphocytes so Neutrophils just fill in for the missing lymph.
    Not sure what the levels that are “normal” are based on. How did they arrive at those “normal” numbers?

Comment

Working...
    X